Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#179535 10/23/2002 5:34 PM
I think anyone who knows of me here would view me as being suspicious :oS

When I joined in this community with my ubb 5.10 board, AllenAyres suggested I should move to a newer free board software, as I just don't have $200 to splash out on a newer UBB :o(

I've found out my board was released by Aloha (warez group), my mate downloaded it and passed it on to me as a retail version :oS So that has kinda enforced the decision that we need to move to phpbb.

The catch 22 situation for me though is if I upgraded legally, I would either of have to stick with UBB 5.10, or wipe 3 years of history and community and start fresh. The conversion scripts to phpbb or any other free boards requie you to start with ubb 6, which isn't available for less than $200? It turns out I could only do it by downloading a warez copy of 5.47 (which was needed for 5 minutes!) and then recieving another warez version from a friend. It's not really a proud situation for me :oS

I'm not sure if it's a problem, there can't be many people left in the world using ubb 5.x anymore? But if there are, how are they going to upgrade legally for free?

Oh well... I can't say I belong here anymore, I'm going to try learning the workings of phpbb from a (legit) friend @ www.xskins.net, and hopefully add to their mod collection.

I just wanted to thank you all, either who helped me out directly with assistanc, and everyone who has written and helped with the excellent mod tutorials, simple enough for me to have done quite successfully.

I hope to give a little back in return, this friend got halfway through making me a couple of handy tools.. one of which to sort out Y2K bugs (not really applicable anymore).. but the other I'll post up for you all when he's done it. It's just a simple search tool, but unlike notepad, you'd be able to search through a whole directory for the piece of code you're after, very handy for me when I was chasing up variables seen in the templates, and wanted to trace their definitions back into the cgi files. Hope it's of use to other wouldbe hackers :o)

Thanks.. :o)

Sponsored Links
#179536 10/23/2002 10:47 PM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I don't quite follow some of that smile You can upgrade 5.10 to 5.47? I believe you said you could, if that's the case then you can upgrade legally to the 6 series retaining your 3 years of history, tho you would need to purchase it smile 5.47e is still in the members' area, you could upgrade to it, then to 6.3.1.1 smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
#179537 10/24/2002 2:42 AM
quote:
AllenAyres:
tho you would need to purchase it smile
There is the problem! I'd have to pay for a costly license to convert from a free board to a free board!

I'd need to pay for the benefits of the latest board (6.3.1.1) when I'd only be using two old pieces of software for a matter of hours if I knew what I was doing.. smile

#179538 10/24/2002 2:50 AM
Well it's more then just getting that version, for the year you can get upgrades for all the latest versions and keep your forum in tact. There are cheaper or other free forums out there if the UBB is too pricey for you. smile

#179539 10/24/2002 4:58 PM
smile

Anyways, if anyone's interested in the multi-file search tool, just say. I wouldn't be surprised there isn't a program that already does it, I just never ran into one, and got disheartened having to look through 20 files in notepad to find what I was after...

Sponsored Links

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Bill B
Bill B
Issaquah, WA
Forum Statistics
Forums63