Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
hey there!

because of some problems with ubb6.01 we decided to do an update to ubb6.5 because of the apache crashing about once a month. nowadays we figured out that nearly once a WEEK now the apache crashes.

we do have an own server, some details about it you'll find below.

because we cannot figure out WHAT causes the troubles i already:

* deleted about 300.000 old messages
* limited the search to just one forum
* limited the search to a max. period of 90days
* put the cache ON

this didn't help. just today we experienced another crash.

a few hacks i installed:
* background image in forum sum
* dpk's smiley hack
* hithack
* instant messages
* mod_wordlets

these are the data about our server-configuration, maybe YOU'll figure out some misconfiguration? ANY help urgently appreciated, so, thanks in advance!
chris

[code][/code]

Sponsored Links
Moderator / Kingpin
Moderator / Kingpin
The hithack might be the cause, as it does add some load.

any more hints/comments?
maybe i should de-install the hithack-feature? just right now the server crashed again :-/

do you see any incompatible modules, perl-bugs or is the server with 250mbyte ram just too 'small' for running a bbs like that? :-/

it's so frustrating...
chris

Veteran
Veteran
I would try running an unhacked forum for a while to see what happens.

Do you believe in love at first sight,
or should I walk by again?
Moderator / Kingpin
Moderator / Kingpin
Nothing stands out to me but again I'm not a perl expert like some of the others here.

I agree with Charles run without any hacks for awhile and see what happens. Then slowly add hacks back until the problem reappears. That way you'll know what the cause is for sure.

Sponsored Links
Moderator / Kingpin
Moderator / Kingpin
Chris, I've saw you post on the Infopop Support Community that mentioned your site's load. It sounds like you're simply outgrowing UBB.classic. You might want to upgrade to UBB.Threads which should be able to handle your busy community much easier.

LK Offline
Admin / Code Breaker
Admin / Code Breaker
Am I the only one who thinks we shouldn't recommend people to leave our board? tipsy

I can't access your board because it requires a username/password, but I suggest you to remove hit hack and instant message hacks if you haven't done that already. also try to disable recent visitors and stuff like that...

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Using ubb.classic or any php/mysql forum for that matter, with the amount of users/traffic your site gets, you really need more ram... start with 512mb, but I'd get more if it were me.

As well, if you were able to update your server software (apache, php and perl) to the current versions, they are more efficient.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Coder
Coder
I am going to agree with Allen ont is and say part of the problem is the amount of RAM. Also can you post:

The last few entries of your Apache log file. This might give a clue as to what the last few executions were before it went down.

The a copy of the "Top" command. This will allow us to see the server load, swap space, etc.

How are you for disk space???

thanks so far, i'm gonna talk to the guys responsible for the hosting and i'llget back to you asap. well, i'm damn proud of my site but it really seems like that i've been creating one of the most successful bbs out there using a software which's not state of the art enough to handle that *g* - switching off very nice features shouldn't be the final solution smile i even would love to include a bunch of more features in future... :-/ so, thanks so far, as already mentioned, i'll get back to you with hopefully the information you requested. :-)

Sponsored Links

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Nettomo
Nettomo
Germany, Bremen
Forum Statistics
Forums63