Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
I came across a site that has hundreds of posts (taken out of context) posted originally on my forum.

Anyone familiar with the "fair use" exception?

Is there anything I can do to protect my members from having their posts "parodied" on other sites?

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
hmmm.. parody? no

Do they at least post a link back to the original?

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
I recently dealt with a site with the same problem. It seems that they had the worst case scenario. A software company took some posts out of context and used them to promote its product. Many of the posts had been of problems with a particular product (by a competitor), however all had turned out to be user error and were resolved (however the company failed to mention this). Basically they took posts out of context and twisted them (placement) to make their product seem superior. While by itself it falls under fair use, there are things you can do to prevent it legally:

Make sure that your copyright message says, "All content, posts, and information found on this site is copyright of yourdomain.com or the original authors. Reproduction of any of the information found herein is strictly prohibited." or something to that effect.

second you can have members place a small blurb in their signatures to the same effect to ensure that their posts are not used. This is for members who care. Some don't.

This still doesn't totally protect because any attorney would argue that information found on a public forum is fair game. Posting assumes public consumption/availability.

However using such messages is a deterrent.

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
We had a manufacturer respond to a post about an article that people were talking about.. The article was on an explosive that can be made with drain cleaner, the cleaner's company emailed us with problems about the post stating that our post on our board was lowering the popularity of their product.

Note that it wasn't even an article hosted on my site, they were TALKING about it... Needless to say, I was contacted by their attourney, removed the one post that even mentioned their product on my entire board... Was a complete pain...

UBB.Dev - Putting Dev into UBB.threads
Company: VNC Web Services - UBB.threads Scripts and Scripting, Install and Upgrade Services, Site and Server Maintenance.
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World, and UGN Security
UBB.Threads: My UBB Themes, My UBB Scripts
Originally posted by AllenAyres:

hmmm.. parody? no

Do they at least post a link back to the original?
It's not really parody . . . it's just (out of context) quotes . . . yes, there is a link back.

Several members complained that they might stop psting if their posts are abused like this. Not sure if I can do anything confused

Sponsored Links
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
If their linking to your site, report them to their host for violating your site's copyright, then add to your forums footer "All content and discussions are (c) 2003/2004 (mydomain)".

Company: VNC Web Services - UBB.threads Scripts and Scripting, Install and Upgrade Services, Site and Server Maintenance.
Originally posted by Mark Schonfeld:

I recently dealt with a site with the same problem. It seems that they had the worst case scenario. A software company took some posts out of context and used them to promote its product. Many of the posts had been of problems with a particular product (by a competitor), however all had turned out to be user error and were resolved (however the company failed to mention this). Basically they took posts out of context and twisted them (placement) to make their product seem superior. While by itself it falls under fair use, there are things you can do to prevent it legally:

Make sure that your copyright message says, "All content, posts, and information found on this site is copyright of yourdomain.com or the original authors. Reproduction of any of the information found herein is strictly prohibited." or something to that effect.

second you can have members place a small blurb in their signatures to the same effect to ensure that their posts are not used. This is for members who care. Some don't.

This still doesn't totally protect because any attorney would argue that information found on a public forum is fair game. Posting assumes public consumption/availability.

However using such messages is a deterrent.

Originally posted by Gizzy:
[qb]
If their linking to your site, report them to their host for violating your site's copyright, then add to your forums footer "All content and discussions are (c) 2003/2004 (mydomain)".
[/qb]
more or less what I said. Also I don't think you legally had to remove that post.

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Yeh, I didn't either, but i didn't want to deal with it so I nuked the section that stated his copyright...

I'm fortunate enough to have my own in-house legal staff. wink

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
yeh and i'm fortunate enough to just message you on aim lol...

Sponsored Links

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63