Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#182899 01/03/2004 4:11 AM
Hi,
Well after 2 years we finally decided to upgrade the board .

http://www.huntandlodge.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

to the new version and get the lifetime upgrade package. I believe we are going to go with the ubb threads.

now for the silly questions.
Is it hard to up grade?
will we loose any info?
can I set the board up first get the colors and templates moved over then do the transistion ?
Can we incorporate the gallery(new version) with the ubb threads.
How do I prep the board we have now for the new one( or do I need to)?
Can you tell me of any problems we will have or expect?

Allen is familiar with our board so I hope he gives me his 2 cents as well.

I wont be in tomorrow much( I am going fishing tipsy ) but will check this board sunday or late tomorrow night.
All you guys have been very helpful when I have problems and ask questions, thanks in advance.

BTW allen this will happen in the next month late Jan early feb.

Happy new year

Delw

Sponsored Links
#182900 01/03/2004 1:23 PM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Howdy Delw smile

Is it hard to up grade? Not really, if your server is up to date with fairly current php/mysql before moving to threads

will we loose any info? Not in a classic->classic upgrade, in a classic->threads upgrade the only thing you really lose will be the pm's in your outbox(sent), everything is imported to your inbox. You'll also lose polls (at least in the current export/import process).

can I set the board up first get the colors and templates moved over then do the transistion ? Sure, if you're moving to threads that's recommended, will save downtime and make sure your server can run threads

Can we incorporate the gallery(new version) with the ubb threads. - if you're moving to threads, photopost is the curent recommended gallery software, works very well with threads

How do I prep the board we have now for the new one( or do I need to)? - if you're moving to threads, it's recommended you upgrade to the current .classic. There's a new exporter in 6.7 that should work well, I haven't tried it yet tho

Can you tell me of any problems we will have or expect? - if your server is kept current, you should have no problems. I'd highly recommend making sure your server is running php 4.1+ and mysql 4+, your site will run faster and be more stable/secure. If your host balks at an upgrade, I have a few to recommend smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
#182901 01/04/2004 10:53 AM
Allen will I have to buy a updated classic version then a threads version also or can I just use the threads version?

WHats the difference between threads and classic from a members postition

Oh yeah I am ok with posting these questions here or do I need to do it in another section of the board?

Delw

#182902 01/04/2004 4:52 PM
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
I don't like threads frown ... But you can compaire from the 2 dev sites...

https://ubbdev.com/
https://ubbdev.com/

And yeh, you're ok with posting here, most of us read the RSS feed's and/or recent topics anyway lol...

BTW, if you need a new host, i reccommend http://www.hosntuke.com/ they have affordable prices and a great uptime on all the machines.

UBB.Dev - Putting Dev into UBB.threads
Company: VNC Web Services - UBB.threads Scripts and Scripting, Install and Upgrade Services, Site and Server Maintenance.
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World, and UGN Security
UBB.Threads: My UBB Themes, My UBB Scripts
#182903 01/04/2004 5:18 PM
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
If you have current Member Area access (probably not), then you should upgrade your Classic before moving up to Threads. The current Threads importer can properly bring stuff over, regardless of which version you're using.

Are there any particular reasons that you're looking at moving to Threads from Classic?

Threads and Classic are completely different products. Threads does have a look and feel than Classic, but it's not different enough for users not to be able to adjust to the changes quickly.

The biggest change is that Threads supports both a Classic-style flat topic view, and a "traditional" threaded view as well. This is a user preference. Most choose to stay in flat mode.

UBB.classic: Love it or hate it, it was mine.
Sponsored Links
#182904 01/04/2004 8:22 PM
Gizzy, I went and looked thanks. I also already have a host and they would have to burn us real bad for me to change, even when I have caused problems they have it fixed in a hour or so. And Allen knows I can cause problems.

Charles.
We(oscar and I) figured threads was the best so that why we picked threads. Oscar likes the deal where it will remember what your last posts that were read (so you can log in from 2 different pcs and not read the same posts) if this can be done in classic then I guess it wouldnt make any difference.

Not to sound ignorant but what are flat topics? and thread views?

You say that threads takes a little bit to get used to for the user.. most of are users are not computer guys they are hunters and dont spend alot of time on the pc. so I would definatly need something they could use easily.

Also isnt threads a php and the classic is the old way? I was thinking the php would be faster?
I have no idea what the threaded version looks like, when I veiw the sample boards I didnt notice any difference.

Thanks for bringing that up Charles thats why I asked here cause you guys know pretty much everything.
So maybe someone can give us the pros and cons? about both. I dont know the boards like you guys do.

I know we want to have view topics in the main webpage and the board remembering if you were logged in (on any pc)

Thanks
Delw

#182905 01/04/2004 9:51 PM
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Flat Files = Files stored on the server; the alternative is using MySQL.

Threads is PHP, Classic is Perl, both have good load times, until you get about 50,000 posts I doubt you'd need to upgrade, I've seen some sites with about 300 times that...

UBB.Dev - Putting Dev into UBB.threads
Company: VNC Web Services - UBB.threads Scripts and Scripting, Install and Upgrade Services, Site and Server Maintenance.
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World, and UGN Security
UBB.Threads: My UBB Themes, My UBB Scripts
#182906 01/05/2004 12:00 AM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
"Flat" and "threaded" (from which threads gets its name) are styles of displaying threads in a forum - ubb.classic pioneered the 'flat' style like you see here, threads uses flat and threaded.

2 examples of the same thread:
flat:
https://www.ubbdev.com/forum/showflat.php/Number/96289

threaded:
https://www.ubbdev.com/forum/showthreaded.php/Number/96289

It's a matter of preference. Some people like following individual conversations within a thread, others prefer a more 'linear' style where all posts line up one after the other in a flat message forum.

Both forums are excellent, there are advantages to both, and nothing in either that would keep you from having a great site no matter what your choice. Check both dev sites again, they are both good examples of what's possible in terms of development - choose the version with the features you like best.

php vs. perl - both are fast languages. On a decent server both will run well for you until you get to having > a couple hundred or so online at one time. The database on a busy site will be speedier tho. Upgrading to current classic forum code will speed up your current site and be a lot more stable. This thread here will show what major changes have happened since you last updated:
https://www.ubbdev.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/10/2234.html

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Zarzal
Zarzal
Berlin, Germany
Forum Statistics
Forums63