Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
I think the UBB engine is extremely powerful, and extremely scalable. It has stock, built-in functions that would make it an awesome Trouble-Ticketing Software for in-house IT Staff like myself. My group supports 150 PC's and 100 SGI Octanes. Our Trouble-Ticketing system now is pretty lame, and we're looking at buying something off-the-shelf. Most off-the-shelf softwares are going to cost $10,000+, in addition to yearly maintenance.

What I'd like to experiment with is to take a stock UBB and modify it like this:

1) Instead of an inputable Subject Line, UBB needs to auto-generate a sequential number (i.e. the ticket number)
2) It needs to auto-respond to the ticket-puller, that their issue will be looked at asap.
3) Moderators will become the "Technicians", where they can answer the ticket.
4) Ticket needs status: open (default), under investigation, closed, set by the Technician (Moderator).
5) Using current UBB engine, tickets can be moved to a knowledge-base archive for searching.

I talked to Infopop about this in the past, and they said they had something in the works, but in never came to fruition.

Any comments? I'd be really interested in pursuing this further.

Sponsored Links
Member / CodeFixer
Member / CodeFixer
That is a really good idea... I remember charles talking about a mod he would like to see like gee why didn't I think of that.

I can't imagine that It would be to difficult to do.

Still hopeful... any takers? How much would it co$t me to pay someone to do this?

https://ubbdev.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=30;t=000178

The above hack is heading right in your direction. A trouble ticket system is one of the directions which the software is being created to meet.

As the hack stands now, it can be used as a trouble ticket system. However, it may lack the customized feel of a software component built strictly around being a trouble ticket system (lack of a feedback page would mean your members would have to reply via email).

Dino, if your looking for a trouble ticket software specifically for your site -- using what i have already done, i could cook it up in about 4 days time. If your interested, contact me at [email protected]

Yeah, that comes out to about $2000+, depending on your billable rate. For a few grand more, there's off-the-shelf software specifically made for that.

For starters, has anybody just made a hack to eliminate the input for Topic Name, and replace it with a UBB-generated sequential number? That would definitely be a start in the right direction.

Sponsored Links
I checked out your link... very nice. I'll take a look at that and see if I can work with it. Thanks for the feedback.

If Infopop rolled something like this out, they would just be increasing their marketshare. I wonder why they're not jumping on something like this?

Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Well, we do have our own ticketing and backend system. We're just not selling it. smile There has been some demand for it.

UBB.classic: Love it or hate it, it was mine.
quote:
Originally posted by Dino:
Yeah, that comes out to about $2000+, depending on your billable rate. For a few grand more, there's off-the-shelf software specifically made for that.

If you toy with the hack, let me know exactly what added features you are looking for, and i'll see if i can add them to the hack.

quote:
For starters, has anybody just made a hack to eliminate the input for Topic Name, and replace it with a UBB-generated sequential number? That would definitely be a start in the right direction.
Well, the topic number could serve as a sequential ticket number (assuming that the topics were never deleted).. It would also be extremely easy to have subjects post in a sequentially numbered order regardless of the topic number.

Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
It would be trivial to just not display a topic subject at all, using the topic number instead.

UBB.classic: Love it or hate it, it was mine.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Bill B
Bill B
Issaquah, WA
Forum Statistics
Forums63