Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#203652 10/29/1999 1:54 PM
I tried explaining once, but I erased it. I think an example would be better.

I go to wwwthreads.pl and see that one thread has 2 new messages. I go to that thread. I see that two sub-threads each have 1 new message. (Keeping it simple.) I go to the first thread and read the new message. Then I *don't read* the second new thread and go back to wwwthreads.pl. From here I do not see an alert that there is still 1 new message. But if I go to that thread again, the sub-thread that I didn't read still shows 1 new message.

Anyone else notice this too?

Sponsored Links
Anonymous #203653 10/29/1999 9:39 PM
Guru
Guru
This has to do with the way read posts are stored. Upon each visit when you first come to the main page it just checks how many posts are in each board as opposed to the last post number you viewed. Once you go into a forum the last post number has to be bumped up to the current last post, so when go back to the main forum listing it shows no new posts. Although when you are viewing an individual board it checks each post number against your temporary cookie to see if you have read it or not. It turned out to be one of the more complex things about the program. Hopefully someday I'll have some great idea on how to do it better[]/w3timages/icons/crazy.gif[/].

---
Scream
http://www.wcsoft.net

UBB.threads Developer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
still hoping for this feature. show all new messages

Can't you store the last read messages in the user database, instead of in the cookie/? Then finally I get the right info, even if I access from various computers.

Guru
Guru
The last read message is stored in the database. The only thing that is stored in the cookie is what posts you have read for the current session. And you can get the right info when accessing from various computers. I use about 4 or 5 different computers and it tracks what posts I have and have not read. The only time the problem comes up is during your current session and you go into a forum and then go back out to the main list.

---
Scream
http://www.wcsoft.net

UBB.threads Developer

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums63
Topics37,573
Posts293,925
Members13,849