Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hi:
Does anyone knows if this software creates html files of the messages or generates each page on the fly? I would like search engine spiders to be able to search the posts in my forum (currently ubb creates html files, unless I am wrong). If it doesn't, what other inconvenience (or benefit) does that cause?

From what I read this software runs faster than ubb, but I thought standard html files were easier on the server. However lots of people said here that they slved the problems they had with ubb by switching to WWWThreads. Anyone willing to clarify this for me?

And, at last, I've seen the speed of ubb degrade on forums with many posts/members (not sure which one, probably both). Which one do you think it's more suited for a really large number of members? I've only seen ubb's with about 10000 members. They worked fine and had a lot of activity (like their own forum), but I wonder what would happen if you have 50000 or even more (add a zero) members on this two packages? Would they work?

Thanks for any input on these questions!
(sorry for bringing the name of the competition here, but I guess maybe other people would like to know this too)

Sponsored Links
I run a UBB with about 350 members (right now) and some of our topics go into the thousands of posts.

There is great degradation of speed on the UBB in the larger topics. UBB generates both an HTML and a CGI file for every page of every forum, so it uses a LOT of server space rather quickly.

We ran a BETA test on WWWThreads 4.3 and found the performance to be outstanding and the features to be wonderful. The reason we didn't buy it was that we couldn't control the number of posts per page, and having to wait on 2k+ posts to load on 1 page would be detrimental to us.

Rick has told me that they are going to have a user option to control the number of posts per page in the upcoming 5.0 release, so we plan on purchasing it for our next project.

If there was a conversion built in for UBB -> WWWThreads, I would definitely consider switching our current forum to wwwthreads, but we would lose about 20k posts since there is no conversion routine available.

Webmaster: @websites http://www.atwebsites.com

Journeyman
Journeyman
Thanks for the reply! I also think a conversion utility is very important, specially considering that a lot of users come from UBB, but I thought the option to control the number of posts per page was already here!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Bill B
Bill B
Issaquah, WA
Forum Statistics
Forums63