|
|
Joined: Nov 1999
Posts: 132
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Nov 1999
Posts: 132 |
screamer--the rankings seem to be advancing awfully quickly. I see Eileen's already up to "addict". If it's possible for a user to climb all the way up in just a few months, you're in danger of having lots of top-level people with nowhere to go. I'd suggest radically increasing the posting requirement (perhaps curving it so it takes much longer to hit next level as you get higher and mightier : ))
chowhound.com For Those Who Live to Eat
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 111
Kahuna
|
|
Kahuna
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 111 |
Actually, when you upgrade to 5.0 (or do a fresh 5.0 install) you can define the limits yourself. I modified mine, because I wanted to use other titles, and I modifed the limits a little as well - e.g. for 0 posts, the title is "Lurker" - after 1 post it changes to "New User" etc. - this is completely customizable, but not yet editable after the table conversion/creation, that would be something for the Feature Wishlist []/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/].
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 1999
Posts: 624
Master Hacker
|
|
Master Hacker
Joined: May 1999
Posts: 624 |
Actually I've been here a long time - from the very beginning. (And I talk a lot!)
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 1999
Posts: 241
Coder
|
|
Coder
Joined: May 1999
Posts: 241 |
ain't that the truth! []/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/] although, you were pretty quiet for a couple of months....
(matty ducking as eileen takes a swing!)
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 3,590 Likes: 1
Moderator
|
|
Moderator
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 3,590 Likes: 1 |
The problem is that if you register under a differnt sceen name back then...like... just as an example "renee" and then chamnged to ..for instance "rlevant" your title MAY NOT reflect your loud mouthness properly *pout* I'm just barely a member pout pout PS GO MATT!!
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 1999
Posts: 339
Kahuna
|
|
Kahuna
Joined: Sep 1999
Posts: 339 |
Good one! "loud mouthness" should always be reflected... which brings up my idea, to have the titles change based on #posts/day or per week... if a user forgets to post for a month, his or her title might drop down to stranger or newbie from journeyman or member. Would do justice, I think... would be complicated, I also think⦠Muhammad Chishti Creative dIRECTOR http://www.imcuniverse.com
Muhammad
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 1999
Posts: 241
Coder
|
|
Coder
Joined: May 1999
Posts: 241 |
y'know renee, you could just beg the administrator go in to the database to update all the posts you made as 'renee' to have 'rlevant' as the submitting user... in fact, that might make a nice admin feature... hmmm.... []/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/]
matt
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 1999
Posts: 339
Kahuna
|
|
Kahuna
Joined: Sep 1999
Posts: 339 |
Some good THAT would do Renee, since her old user only racked up 19 posts! []/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/] What's all the pouting about?? She wouldn't be even close to addict! Hey, how about an addition to the FAQ covering the titles? (Already posted that to the Feature Wishlist board) Muhammad Chishti Creative dIRECTOR http://www.imcuniverse.com
Muhammad
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 1999
Posts: 132
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Nov 1999
Posts: 132 |
"for 0 posts, the title is "Lurker" - after 1 post it changes to "New User" etc"
that's very zen
chowhound.com For Those Who Live to Eat
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 1999
Posts: 339
Kahuna
|
|
Kahuna
Joined: Sep 1999
Posts: 339 |
In reply to:
For 0 posts, the title is "Lurker" - after 1 post it changes to "New User"
I like the sound of that, how do the titles go from there?
Thanks,
Muhammad Chishti Creative dIRECTOR http://www.imcuniverse.com
Muhammad
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 111
Kahuna
|
|
Kahuna
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 111 |
I got mine like this: 0 Lurker 1 New User 25 User 50 Member 200 Senior Member 400 Enthusiast 700 Addict 1200 Veteran 1600 Senior Veteran 2500 Master
[]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/] Of course the only time "Lurker" shows up may be the "Who's Online", but I like it that way, this clearly identifies those who just lurk and don't participate at all.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 1999
Posts: 339
Kahuna
|
|
Kahuna
Joined: Sep 1999
Posts: 339 |
Nice list... what's the standard setup? (I don't have 5.0 installed anywhere) Thanks, Muhammad Chishti Creative dIRECTOR http://www.imcuniverse.com
Muhammad
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 111
Kahuna
|
|
Kahuna
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 111 |
Hm, I don't have the original any more []/w3timages/icons/frown.gif[/] if you have a license, you could just download 5.0b2 to check the /filters/usertitles file.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 1999
Posts: 339
Kahuna
|
|
Kahuna
Joined: Sep 1999
Posts: 339 |
Yeah, I figured if you changed it, you probably didn't have the original. But, I will go download the 5.0b2... Thanks, Muhammad Chishti Creative dIRECTOR http://www.imcuniverse.com
Muhammad
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 1999
Posts: 4
Journeyman
|
|
Journeyman
Joined: Sep 1999
Posts: 4 |
Just a quick note in response to the title thing, please be reminded that for now (ver 5.0), once you have defined the title name (in the filter/usertitle file), you would not be able to modify it afterward. You could, if you would hack some codes out of the createtable5.0 and run a separate task for the board to pick up a new change.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 1999
Posts: 339
Kahuna
|
|
Kahuna
Joined: Sep 1999
Posts: 339 |
Hyuck, hyuck, good one Scream! 0 stranger 25 newbie 50 journeyman 100 member 200 enthusiast 400 addict 700 old hand 1200 veteran 1600 Pooh-Bah 2500 Carpal Tunnel Muhammad Chishti Creative dIRECTOR http://www.imcuniverse.com
Muhammad
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 1999
Posts: 3,039
Guru
|
|
Guru
Joined: May 1999
Posts: 3,039 |
Give credit to Chowhound on the title names. He's the one that came up with em[]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/].
UBB.threads Developer
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 1999
Posts: 339
Kahuna
|
|
Kahuna
Joined: Sep 1999
Posts: 339 |
Will do! But did he also come up with the numbers, because he started this whole thread! []/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/] Muhammad Chishti Creative dIRECTOR http://www.imcuniverse.com
Muhammad
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 1999
Posts: 3,039
Guru
|
|
Guru
Joined: May 1999
Posts: 3,039 |
No, I came up with the numbers[]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/]. Figured it would be a good basis to start by anyways.
UBB.threads Developer
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 1999
Posts: 339
Kahuna
|
|
Kahuna
Joined: Sep 1999
Posts: 339 |
Yeah, you've always gotta start somewhere... as long as you can edit them there's no problemo! []/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/] Thanks Muhammad Chishti Creative dIRECTOR http://www.imcuniverse.com
Muhammad
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 1999
Posts: 624
Master Hacker
|
|
Master Hacker
Joined: May 1999
Posts: 624 |
Ah, during those two months I was away from my desk being noisy in other areas of life. [] http://www.amdragon.com/images/devil.gif[/]
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 3,590 Likes: 1
Moderator
|
|
Moderator
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 3,590 Likes: 1 |
*pout* Are you sure only 19 posts....AND besides...I think QUALITY should have SOMETHING to do with it ...*shrug* and walks off mimbling only barely audibly hmmm could I have only made 19 posts under that name....
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 3,590 Likes: 1
Moderator
|
|
Moderator
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 3,590 Likes: 1 |
ignore me, I'm just checking to see if Scream managed to get in the redirect to the correct page when posting multi-page topics... Webmaster: @websites http://www.atwebsites.com
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 3,590 Likes: 1
Moderator
|
|
Moderator
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 3,590 Likes: 1 |
yup, he sure did! good job Scream! Webmaster: @websites http://www.atwebsites.com
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 111
Kahuna
|
|
Kahuna
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 111 |
Scream, how do you get your title to say "Head Honcho"? I would like something of that nature for my board - I edited my title, but when I crossed to the next level due to the # of posts, it changed it back to the default for that level. An "override" option would be great, that ignores any automatic changes, at least for Admin and Moderator status to be displayed as such or as defined somewhere (like your "Head Honcho" status).
P.S.: Please excuse my picture not showing - I'm changing providers and even my e-mail isn't working []/w3timages/icons/frown.gif[/]
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 111
Kahuna
|
|
Kahuna
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 111 |
Never mind, already figured out how to override it, by editing the addpost.pl where it updates the title, now I exclude "Administor" and "Moderator" from updating. If anyone is interested, here's how it's done: change if ($NewTitle ne $CurrTitle) {
to
if (($NewTitle ne $CurrTitle) and ($CurrTitle ne "Moderator") and ($CurrTitle ne "Administrator")) {
and replace "Moderator" and "Administrator" with what you want to be ignored during title updating. That should do it.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 1999
Posts: 624
Master Hacker
|
|
Master Hacker
Joined: May 1999
Posts: 624 |
I think it would be better to do it this way:
Edit dograntadmin.pl to give them a title:
# Update this user's status my $newstat = $dbh -> quote("Administrator"); my $newcolor = $dbh -> quote($theme{'admincolor'}); my $newtitle = $dbh -> quote("Administrator"); $query = qq! UPDATE w3t_Users SET U_Status = $newstat, U_Color = $newcolor, U_Title = $newtitle $updategroups WHERE U_Username = $Username_q !; $dbh -> do($query) or die "Can't execute query: $query. Reason: $DBI::errstr";
Edit doassignmod.pl ditto:
# Update this user's status if they are not an admin my $newstat = $dbh -> quote("Moderator"); my $Username_q = $dbh -> quote($Username); my $Keyword_q = $dbh -> quote($Keyword); my $checkstat = $dbh -> quote("Administrator"); my $newcolor = $dbh -> quote($theme{'modcolor'}); my $newtitle = $dbh -> quote("Moderator"); my $query = qq! UPDATE w3t_Users SET U_Status = $newstat, U_Color = $newcolor, U_Title = $newtitle WHERE U_Username = $Username_q AND U_Status <> $checkstat !; $dbh -> do($query) or die "Can't execute query: $query. Reason: $DBI::errstr";
Then in addpost.pl only update the title if they aren't an Aministrator or a Moderator:
# Now if the newtitle is different from their current title, then we update their profile # if they are not a Moderator or an Administrator if ( ($NewTitle ne $CurrTitle) && ($user{'Status'} ne "Administrator") && ($user{'Status'} ne "Moderator") ){ $query = qq! UPDATE w3t_Users SET U_Title = $UserTitle_q WHERE U_Username = $Username_q !; $dbh -> do($query) or die "Can't do $query. Reason: $DBI::errstr."; }
}
This way Mods and Admins can edit their own titles as often as they like. []/w3timages/icons/cool.gif[/]
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 111
Kahuna
|
|
Kahuna
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 111 |
Well, in both mine and I think also in your mod there is a small bug []/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/] because I was "so lucky" to catch it when one moderator hit the next mark, it displayed the new title, but kept the old on record, thus I suggest the last part to include the "else" statement: if ( ($NewTitle ne $CurrTitle) && ($user{'Status'} ne "Administrator") && ($user{'Status'} ne "Moderator") ){ $query = qq! UPDATE w3t_Users SET U_Title = $UserTitle_q WHERE U_Username = $Username_q !; $dbh -> do($query) or die "Can't do $query. Reason: $DBI::errstr."; } else { $UserTitle_q = $dbh -> quote($CurrTitle); } }
I hope I got that right []/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/]. Thanks for the help on this []/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/]!
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 1999
Posts: 339
Kahuna
|
|
Kahuna
Joined: Sep 1999
Posts: 339 |
Yeah I agree, maybe we could have another profile field along the lines of # of words posted? Wait, something about rating posts... Like I brought up, these titles should be like the ATP tennis rankings, so complex you need to be a scientist to figure them out! Oh, yeah, I'm sure, only 19 posts. Checked Reneeās profile! Muhammad Chishti Creative dIRECTOR http://www.imcuniverse.com
Muhammad
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 1999
Posts: 624
Master Hacker
|
|
Master Hacker
Joined: May 1999
Posts: 624 |
And there's more to it than that! You also need to edit the revoke counterparts to match. When I've got a minute I'll post the whole sequence.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 3,590 Likes: 1
Moderator
|
|
Moderator
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 3,590 Likes: 1 |
Maybe we need a system where people can BUY higher ratings....After all has anyone notice how popular this thread is... Gosh how embarassing! A bunch od web geeks and webmasters wanting a higher ranking...
It would be sort of like buying a college degree..or ordination certificate for $5 on the web ;)
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 1999
Posts: 339
Kahuna
|
|
Kahuna
Joined: Sep 1999
Posts: 339 |
Now there's an idea! But I'm afraid to post too much since I like the title "journeyman" - I guess I'll have to go berserkoo posting to get to 200 and "enthusiast" ASAP!!! Well I could always post 200 messages to the test board and delete them all ā hey, is that a bug? When you delete a post it stays on your profile ā and indicated on your title. Regards, Muhammad Chishti Creative dIRECTOR http://www.imcuniverse.com
Muhammad
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 1999
Posts: 132
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Nov 1999
Posts: 132 |
hmmm...screamer promised that deleted messages wouldn't count toward title credit! Has this been fixed yet?
chowhound.com For Those Who Live to Eat
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 1999
Posts: 339
Kahuna
|
|
Kahuna
Joined: Sep 1999
Posts: 339 |
I dooooon't think so!!! I just did some testing on my board w/5.01. I guess it could be fixed, but not the biggest deal. Muhammad Chishti Creative dIRECTOR [:white] http://www.imcuniverse.com
Muhammad
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 1999
Posts: 339
Kahuna
|
|
Kahuna
Joined: Sep 1999
Posts: 339 |
Oh, I forgot, I'm an "enthusiast" already anyway... and I didn't have to post 100 messages to the test board to get the title! []/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/] Muhammad Chishti Creative dIRECTOR [:white] http://www.imcuniverse.com
Muhammad
|
|
|
Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.
Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
|
|
Posts: 449
Joined: February 2008
|
|
|
Forums63
Topics37,583
Posts293,955
Members13,825
| |
Most Online151,614 Nov 14th, 2025
|
|
Currently Online 5263
Topics Created 0
Posts Made 0
Users Online 0
Birthdays 5
|
|
|
|