Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#204343 03/02/2000 9:31 AM
Hooray! I finally installed the upgrade on the live site. Amazingly not one user yet has complained that there are tiny differences here and there and people are not nagging me about what the titles mean. The upgrade process was smooth as silk except that the server killed the process the first time I tried running the altertable that sets the usertitles. (I swear that server kills any process that lasts more than a second!)

Just felt like hollering to someone about how well it went. []/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/]

Phoenix

Sponsored Links
Master Hacker
Master Hacker
Great news. It's wonderful when all the careful preparation pays off like that.

I followed your lead yesterday and set up another instance of wwwthreads where I can do all my crashing and burning in privacy.

[]http://www.amdragon.com/images/eileensig.gif[/]

It certainly does help to run a separate instance for development. I'd have put my users out of business dozens of times and really annoyed them if I'd tried to do this work on the live copy. Especially since I was doing a lot of changes to the graphical display (http://www.conceivingconcepts.com/cgi-local/forum/) for some reason that I can no longer fathom... I often ended up with pages that would plainly refuse to display at all, what with missing < /table> tags and such.

Phoenix

Master Hacker
Master Hacker
I've just been over to look. It's absolutely beautiful - and absolutely fascinating. I couldn't tear myself away. You can be sure I'll be back to steal all your ideas (and the new icons). []/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/]

Kahuna
Kahuna
Wow, that's really fantastic! Would it be possible to "borrow" some of those icons???

Sponsored Links
OpalCat #204348 03/03/2000 10:29 AM
Oh, certainly. Please... steal my icons. []/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/] Thanks for the compliments, both of you.

A couple little things that I did that might be handy if I just wrote up the simple instructions... I've got the subject of the post you're reading as the Page title, of if you're in postlist.pl, it's the name of the board in the Title bar. Those were simple as can be, and just nice finishing touches.

I'm at Stage One of the Linux gaunlet... moving 5 hard drives between 3 computers because I don't want to buy a new one. It would have been worth buying a new one, if only I had the money. So far I haven't lost any data, but it's really a hideous job. []/w3timages/icons/tongue.gif[/]

Phoenix

Kahuna
Kahuna
Thanks! I think you did a terrific job, I also think the color selection is very harmonic, and represents the look of your site very well. Well, I don't want to make you blush so I better stop []/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/]...

Oh I would love to get that hack with the title! That should be part of the official release, IMO.

I've done a Linux experiment, too, declared my old 1.2 GB as the Linux drive, with dual boot, and the 4.3 GB the Win98 (not enough, though). I wanted to set it up for developing Perl scripts, offline testing, but couldn't get it to work - Linux works fine but I guess I'm too stupid to set it up as a virtual local server. After getting files copied over with the exact same folder structer as on the host server, I only got some errors when I was trying to run the Perl scripts. I finally gave up. I am not ready yet to spend $50 on a decent book on Linux, I'm a bit tight for money right now []/w3timages/icons/frown.gif[/]. Well, good luck for you, and come by for a visit and set mine up when you are done []/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/].

Journeyman
Journeyman
Great icons!! -no, they are not great, they are wonderfully fantastic smile I just signed up on your site too - simply because of all those appealing icons []/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/].
By the way, any suggestion of any tool to change the background color, i.e. change your white background to black? Thanks! []/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/]

Master Hacker
Master Hacker
Yes please to the name in the title bar.

Come round and do mine when you've finished Gerrit's. []/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/]

MrFear #204352 03/04/2000 5:36 AM
You guys are too much with these compliments. Now I am blushing. []/w3timages/icons/blush.gif[/] It's so nice to hear that you like it... means more coming from folks who know what went on behind the scenes.

Phoenix

Sponsored Links
MrFear #204353 03/04/2000 6:01 AM
Oh, and the background color thing... you can just change your browser prefs. As far as I know all of the browsers have an option to override the document colors with the user's own colors. []/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/] It'd be under Colors or Style Sheets or some such heading.

Phoenix

Power User
Power User
What software did you use to create the "rounded" dimple type buttons??

Is there a simple Photoshop filter for this??

Laguna #204355 03/06/2000 8:09 AM
I use Photoshop 5.0. I believe I made that button effect with one of the Actions that came with the program... the Emboss Layer action... and then reduced the opacity of the embossed layer so that the effect wouldn't blot out the button images. As I recall Photoshop 4 had the same action available. It's a handy one.

Phoenix

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63