Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
I am considering using this board (pro version) but one thing makes me seriously feel that it might be a mistake.

The spell checker shows mis-spelled words but DOESN'T correct them. Why not when many of the free boards do - or am I missing something.

For $100 the spell checker SHOULD function.

Why is there no answer to my very simple question?

Sponsored Links
Guru
Guru
Because a proper spellchecker that you are looking for goes beyond what this one is able to do. To actually correct mis-spelled words properly would require a very large dictionary file along with a very complex algorithm to correct mis-spellings. Just a basic spellchecker like this one has requires some pretty heavy system resources for larger posts, and we try to keep the system as resource friendly as possible.

There are a few boards that are starting to use spellchecker.net as their spellchecking solution as it seems to tie in fairly well and that's something I'm looking into.

UBB.threads Developer
Ok point taken.

Thanks very much for the complete and rapid answer.

I like this board very much - and I have looked at many. If I could be sure that an effective spellchecking facility would be imlpemented sometime in the future, then I would not hesitate to stop looking, and would settle for W3T.
Does anyone know of a hack to use spellchecker.net ?

Many thanks again. ;-)

~~~SisyphuS~~~

Master Hacker
Master Hacker
SpellChecker.net looks like exactly what we should be using. I've registered and downloaded all the bumph and I'm off to play with it right now...

[]http://www.amdragon.com/images/eileensig.gif[/]

I do not think spellchecker.net is good. If added, it should be switchable (ON/OFF) by the Admin. It slows down the system and if they are down may bring complications. I hate to relay on external sites who I have no control about.

Just my thoughts.

Sponsored Links
Master Hacker
Master Hacker
Well, the internal spellchecker slows down the system too and it's pretty inadequate. According to Jakob Nielsen's Alert Box, "the days of the unified website are long gone.
It is getting to be common for some of the features of a website to reside on other sites that supply certain specialized functionality." As long as we can make its use optional I think it's definitely worth considering.

Quite agree with Eileen. Allowing the user to choose can only be a good thing, indeed why not make it possible to remove the present, rather embarrassing, internal spellchecker - is that possible now?

~~~SisyphuS~~~

A much as I would like to see and truly could use myself a better spelling checker. I do think using something like SpellChecker.net would not work. I would hate to have my sites spelling checker be dependent on SpellChecker.net staying on the net.

The funny thing about this post is that I still had SpellingChecker.net's message board demo open when I wrote this post and I used Cut and Paste to check my spelling. []/w3timages/icons/blush.gif[/]

-Ken Torbeck [:blue]WWW.INFOSITE.[:red]ORG Special Needs & disAbilities Info. Center

-Ken Torbeck [blue]www.INFOSITE.[/blue][red]ORG[/red] Special Needs & disAbilities Info. Center
Kahuna
Kahuna
Interesting but two-faced issue. I agree that the current spell checker is very simple, but it can be implemented even on hosted sites, locally, and be available as long as the own site is available. External solutions might be good as long as they are a USER option... I would keep both, some users might actually like a plain and simple solution... I found the external checkers too sluggish... but I don't see how a good spell checker could ever be developed as a Perl script, would be too much load for the server. Just my thoughts...

Master Hacker
Master Hacker
I've got a set of instructions to add Spellchecker.net to run alongside the internal spellchecker so we can have the best of both worlds.

Sponsored Links

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums63
Topics37,573
Posts293,925
Members13,849