Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#206114 11/13/2000 6:17 PM
Journeyman
Journeyman
Scream,
By now you have probably noticed that UBB now "strictly prohibits" any kind of mods to the freeware version. It seems to me that you have a great opportunity here to capture some additional market share if you can maybe beef up the free version a bit (IIRC it's a bit old). I would imagine there are a lot of sites using the free version and that have modified it and sooner or later are going to need a solution. I know you have a lot going on with the PHP version, but I just thought this would seem like a great opportunity for you and thought I'd pass on my thoughts about it.

Jerry
AllSports
Forums

Sponsored Links
Guru
Guru
I saw something of this in another post. I do plan on putting an updated PERL demo out one for the PHP version as well.

---
Scream
Posted from the PHP Port Site (Post might be quirky)

UBB.threads Developer
MTO Offline
Addict
Addict
Hum... it seems to me that if you want to sell more where you should really start is updating your wwwthreads info at script pages such as cgi.resourceindex.com, hotscripts.com, and tons of others... not very trusting forum when you see it hasnt been updated the last couple years...
Scream, I´d take some time and go update/add wwwthreads info on all scriptpages you can... every time you make an upgrade release, even if it is beta... you will sell literally 3-5 times more.

MTO Offline
Addict
Addict
Speaking of opportunities, how about small resellers? I think there are some resellers for you, with big ammounts of licenses, but how about discounts to anyone who already has one and has a friend that would be interested...?

Kahuna
Kahuna
How about an affiliate program?

Muhammad Chishti
Creative dIRECTOR
[:white]http://www.imcuniverse.com

Muhammad
Sponsored Links
How about free puppies?

Kahuna
Kahuna
Free puppies are good..... []/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/]

Muhammad Chishti
Creative dIRECTOR
[:white]http://www.imcuniverse.com

Muhammad
Guru
Guru
I've been meaning to do this, but haven't a clue where all to go. Is there a good place that has a list of the top sites?

UBB.threads Developer
Guru
Guru
I'd like to do something like this, but really don't have a clue how it would work. I'm not a great businessman, I'm just a programmer[]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/].

UBB.threads Developer
Guru
Guru
Another one of the things I would like to do, but don't know how these work.

UBB.threads Developer
Sponsored Links
MTO Offline
Addict
Addict
There are hundreds of script sites, as far as I can tell the most popular and most important are:
PERL:
HotScripts.com Perl
Perl Resource Index
The Perl Archive
Free Perl Code: As far as I can tell, doesnt require free scripts, though you´ve got it.

PHP:
HotScripts.com PHP: Right now its the best!
PHP Resource Index

Of these I visit the HotScripts on a daily base. The CGI/Perl resouce index, and The Perl Archive on a weekly base. There are tons others though... you can see hundreds of scripts pages at HotScripts.com under the "web sites" link.

This would mean hours of updating yourself in them for every upgrade, but I am sure it would be worth the work... except it would take development time away... []/w3timages/icons/crazy.gif[/]

MTO Offline
Addict
Addict
WWWThreads is way up into number 8 of the TOP RATED PHP Scripts in HotScripts.com!

See it rated right here! Or actually rate it yourself. []/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/]

Scream, have you noticed any increase in traffic/purchases since you posted WWWThreads in these sites? Maybe will get more now that you are in the top 10...

Mateo Byler
CruceDeCaminos.com

MTO Offline
Addict
Addict
By the way Scream, the affiliate/reseller thing is one that I guess we cant help that much, that is something for you to decide balancing the possibility that you might sell more but at the same time they might be "cheaper", so what ever is worth to you... I still think that would be interesting for you to do...

Mateo Byler
CruceDeCaminos.com

Guru
Guru
It moved up to Number 4 since you posted this. Thanks to whoever voted[]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/].

Checking my referer logs I am getting alot of hits from the hotscripts.com site, but no bump in purchase activity. We'll see how it goes from here. Thanks again for the suggestion on posting to these sites.

-------------------
Scream
WWWThreads Developer

UBB.threads Developer
Into the bronze medal position now. I saw a couple of familiar faces in the review section... MTO, poil.
Only 5 votes since I made mine yesterday, come on guys, get onto MTO's link and show your support. []/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/]

Darren.
http://www.bullpen.com.au

Guru
Guru
Well, it's up to #2 now[]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/]. Almost got the top spot[]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/].

-------------------
Scream
WWWThreads Developer

UBB.threads Developer
Master Hacker
Master Hacker
...and while you're there - rate the Perl version as well. (Excellent of course!)

[]http://www.amdragon.com/images/eileensig.gif[/]

Master Hacker
Master Hacker
Actually, we should have a dedicated area with *all* the direct links to vote/rate w3t (both flovors) to the top of *all* the lists and make it a point of honor for *everybody* to go there and throw their weight behind Scream (at least once - and maybe more []/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/]) on every list.

[]http://www.amdragon.com/images/eileensig.gif[/]

Power User
Power User
I am not sure how others feel, but I would like to express my personal feelings.

I think many, many potential W3T customers are like myself. When I was looking for forum software I found many professional-looking possibilities. However, I felt that ease-of-use was as important as "looks".

My point is that you have an excellent product. But if you want to take a big step towards further success, you need to make W3T as user-friendly as possible. By "user", I mean the Administrator. It needs to be very customizable, easy to manage, and contain as many options as possible.

In your defense, I think W3T comes closer to these features than any other forum software on the market. I hope you continue improving W3T and I, for one, will recommend it to anyone who will listen.

Power User
Power User
Since talk is cheap, I would like to offer my thoughts. I will be the first to admit that some suggestions are not possible, but maybe some are.

First, If I were a potential customer I would want software that practically installs itself. Many people are turned off by complicated installation instructions.

Secondly, I would want options that are "clickable"...no direct coding in various files. Not many users want to take the time to learn PhP, perl, or other languages.

Thirdly, I would want my patrons (users) to use the forum with the least amount of work on their part.

I realize these are very general suggestions, but maybe they can serve as a roadmap for future improvements.

MTO Offline
Addict
Addict
Well, its [:red]#1 right now... []/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/]
(PHP version, the Perl version is still a long way away...)

OK, Scream... in one or two weeks you´ll have to tell us if selling has increased or not. You should give people some time, as most of us like to shop around till we feel we know all the available options.

And want more views? Update it! Update it! Always, with every update to the perl/php version you make, update your records at these script pages... It still says it is version 5.1.2 . When you update it you get special mention and are positioned number one in the php category its at... after an updated/new period you are about the last, alphabetically orderd (wwwthreads)...

Mateo Byler
CruceDeCaminos.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63