Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Journeyman
Journeyman

For your amusement and enlightenment,

On the subject of manufacturing a "bare-bones" PHP version, so the designers among us can work our wonders by adding Flash and DHTML, I submit the vision of a wiser man than I....

The following was taken from a website far, far away.....let those who know the origins, now speak.....from whom did these words find a place on the web of 1997 ?.....

" The way we create and interact with websites is changing rapidly. With everything from Macromedia's Flash to Dynamic HTML, the day of the static webpage is fading. While DHTML is implemented a bit differently by the latest releases of Netscape and MSIE, both companies have pledged to support the standard when one is set. "

> I say, LET THE NEW AGE BEGIN WITH W3T! Flash that sucker, man! We want hypnotic menus and silly rollover sounds! We want Dynamic Style Sheets and table backgrounds on every Cat!

I think this (below) is why I chose to use W3T for the new Texas Offroad site. You see, I sleep with a mini recorder and note paper on the night table and transpose my mumbling moments of post-midnight genius/madness and scratchy drawings in the darkness during regular coffee hours. If I did not, by one hour post-consciousness, it's all just a fog of anxiety and disappointment....ya'know what I mean? The mind of the inventor....

After a decade or so, my wife is no longer scared out of her wits when I spring frantically from the bed at 2AM rambling, "Oh my God! That's it!" and run to my office to get it all down on paper, or disk, before it's gone.....

Excerpt from W3T Forum - Bug Reports -

Scream
(Head Honcho)
11/03/00 07:16 AM

Re: View recent message...Suggestion (5.1) [re: Sharif]

I just got this figured out this morning. This was one of those things that was driving me crazy and I couldn't really get a proper solution. So at about 3:00 this morning I woke up and I just knew how to do it. So I came in to my office and had this fixed shortly thereafter. I need to watch the useage today and mysql load as it is being used so I can see if there is any performance hit.

--- <test>
Scream
Posted from the PHP Port Site (Post might be quirky)

Thanks for allowing me this time....now, it's back to work....Bobby. {:o)

" Life is hard, but it's harder when you're stupid ! "

Sponsored Links
Kahuna
Kahuna
Hmm, I just never leave the office!! []/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/] Well, I don't want to anyway. They pull me from my desk.

Muhammad Chishti
Creative dIRECTOR
[:white]http://www.imcuniverse.com

Muhammad
Journeyman
Journeyman
Someone has to know this answer. I'd guess Scream might since he knows this guys whose quote I so gracefully included. smile Am I the only one who's been cruisin' the web? I definitely deserve an "Addict" tag. How 'bout it? Got a guess who this visionary was?

Power User
Power User
Lightwieghts! []/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/]

Ya gotta get ethernet for the bedroom and then you don't have to go all the way downstairs to the office.

The quote sounds like something Jacob Neilson might have said, right bvefore he went off on the damage these elements generally cause to usability of the user interface.

http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20001029.html

"Although multimedia has its role on the Web, current Flash technology tends to discourage usability for three reasons: it makes bad design more likely, it breaks with the Web's fundamental interaction style, and it consumes resources that would be better spent enhancing a site's core value. "

That's one mans opinion.

John
-who uses flash 4 because he can. []/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/]

Guru
Guru
I knew that quote sounded familiar[]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/]. I just couldn't place it. That was me[]/w3timages/icons/crazy.gif[/], from my personal attempt and a DHTML site. Can't believe I still have that thing up[]/w3timages/icons/shocked.gif[/]. You do get around, huh?

UBB.threads Developer
Sponsored Links
Journeyman
Journeyman
YeeeeHaaaa!
We have a winner! The worst part about the web is that it makes hiding those skeletons in the closet so damn hard to do, huh? Yeah, I do get around. Loved the site btw. Had to get about two inches from the monitor and squint to figure out what the heck that image on the right was! It don't look like you....but he does look like a screamer.

You never know what people will find. Here's a link to a website I built back in the spring '99....I still get new folks cruising through. At the time, it had the latest JavaScript games and the Photos pages were very cool. The applets kicked my aaa! It hasn't been updated in over a year, but this site opened my world and got my efforts noticed. We know have a non-profit funded by Texas Parks and Wildlife! Never before in US history....

http://www.MotoxMadness.com

Amazing how a lame site can get picked out. Google still has it ranked #4 out of 15,000 "motocross tracks" sites. It breaks all of Nielsens' rules! And several big money funded sites linked to it as THE source for info in Texas....but, it was too much maintenance. I guess that's why I'm here today. This W3T is my answer....let the visitors update the info for other visitors.

So, don't let the corporate squares fool you. What's "in" with the web designer crowd or ZDnet or PC thisthat don't mean nothin' to the search engines...or the public looking for info. CONTENT IS KING!

See ya' Scream......thanks for playing along!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63