Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
MTO
Addict
Addict
Oh no!
So I have a reply on one of the boards that I dont want. If I go and delete it the post is "somewhat still there" as it will say the post has been deleted by me. I dont want it there at all, I dont want people to see it has been deleted by me, I just want it to not exist anymore. If I go to edit and delete the text that says it has been deleted by me it will say Edited by Webmaster on 21/11/00 02:25 PM (server time).
I have no option to take this out! Neither me or my moderators want to be accused of deleting even if we do so. Its a moderators job to do so, and at times it can be compromising, unconfortable... I dont want this person or others blaming me or my moderators for deleting the message, the thing would be over if it was completely removed or at least not say it has been deleted by XX moderator or admin...
Please, Scream, change this! Protect us from our users!

Sponsored Links
I think if Scream would make it possible to expire individual posts (the same way you can a whole thread) that'd be perfect for what you need.

If it's implemented, I think it should be an admin-only feature. You dont' want mods going around and deleting all of someone's posts just cause they don't like them...and you'd have no proof of it.

MTO
Addict
Addict
Or have an option when editing moderators to allow them to delete messages or not...

Kahuna
Kahuna
I see your points and agree... to me here would be the best option:

The 'delete this post' feature would be for admins and moderators ONLY...

When a post gets deleted, it really isn't deleted but rather moved to a deleted folder in the admin section. The way I do this now is with an admin-only 'deleted' forum... so I can keep a copy of everything deleted for future reference.

The problem with deleting individual messages is there... I think that has something to do with there being replies to that post, because if you delete a message that has no replies, it is GONE. Yes, that I like.

So what I would say is that when a post gets deleted, it should be moved to a deleted folder and completely removed from the public forum.

And yes, editing by admins shouldn't mark on the post, I don't think. I have edited messages that were posted incorrectly (i.e. they didn't let their text flow in the body box when posting) and then get accused of 'censoring content', etc.

I hope I didn't jumble my words... I still don't type as fast as the thoughts come. []/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/]

Muhammad Chishti
Creative dIRECTOR
[:white]http://www.imcuniverse.com

Muhammad
Guru
Guru
Well, there is a problem with all of this, which is why it works the way it does[]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/]. If there are no replies to the post, then the post actually does get deleted. But, if there are replies to the post, you can just get rid of it otherwise the whole threading of the topic is broken.

UBB.threads Developer
Sponsored Links
Kahuna
Kahuna
Yeah... I figured that. It was worty a try! []/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/]

Muhammad Chishti
Creative dIRECTOR

Edited by Muhammad on 11/21/00 08:17 AM (server time).

Muhammad
MTO
Addict
Addict
Could you mark it in the database as deleted (or hidden) and when displaying the threads skip over those that are marked so?

Guru
Guru
Not sure if that would work, because if it doesn't get printed out then the threading gets messed up. I worked on this for several days when originally making the delete post option and couldn't get the display formatted correctly if the post wasn't displayed.

When I get some free time I can make another go at it[]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/].

UBB.threads Developer
MTO
Addict
Addict
I hope you get it to work, I am guessing that would mean you couldnt -in theory, even print is as hidden in the page?

If it doesnt work, at least we should be able to change the contents of it instead of showing something like:
Edited by Webmaster on 21/11/00 02:25 PM (server time).
just show something like:
This message is no longer available. Sorry

By the way, the
Edited by Webmaster on 21/11/00 02:25 PM (server time). thing is in English no matter what language is actually choosen as default...
And the title of the deleted message shows the text DELETED, in english... These should at least be in the default language. But I rather you take your time on the first thing, hehe. []/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/]

MTO
Addict
Addict
Is there anyway to delete an entire thread?

By the way Scream, maybe you should have a Q&A forum in the main top category, questions like this one are not Perl/PHP specific...

Sponsored Links
MTO
Addict
Addict
Before you answer on how to delete threads, I found the way... its in the admin zone. Maybe more useful if there was an option when you are viewing the messages themselves. Either the thread starter have an option to delete it with all replies, or have any message in a thread have an option to delete it and all of its replies.

Kahuna
Kahuna
[:blue]Is there anyway to delete an entire thread?

Sure, in the admin section... expire threads. It isn't an option when you are editing, though.

Muhammad Chishti
Creative dIRECTOR

Muhammad
Kahuna
Kahuna
10-4... I spoke too late. []/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/]

Muhammad Chishti
Creative dIRECTOR

Muhammad

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63