Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#206874 12/11/2000 12:12 PM
Hi...I'm happy to get the PHP demo version, but after I downloaded it I got several issues:

1. Where the heck is the manual/instruction/documentation to install this demo version??

2. I first downloaded the zip file to my desktop and when decompressing it, it complained saying that files already existed in the folder. I checked the file list on my Winzip and it turned out many files had the same filenames. How can I resolve this because winzip asks to overwrite, skip or cancel when decompressing it? (I chose overwrite)

3. Trying another option, I then downloaded the gz file and uploaded to my server. When I tried to decompress it with 'gunzip filename' on my telnet, it complained saying the file not a gzip format.

4. So I decided to go back and uploaded my decompressed files from my Winzip. When I tried to view index.html on my browser, it was blank. I changed it to index.php. Now it showed "Go here". I clicked on it and it's....blank!

What am I supposed to do?

I think a documentation will help greatly for a new user like me.

I also noticed there were few pl files. I thought the PHP version would all be PHP?

Sponsored Links
Guru
Guru
Basically there is just the INSTALL file that touches on the install procedure.

Not sure about the duplicate filename issue. It wouldn't be possilbe to compress a package with duplicate filenames in the same directory, unless winzip is trying to decompress into one directory.

Sometimes when downloading via IE, gzipped packages will be gunzipped. So you might just try 'tar -xvf filename' as it sounds like it is already decompressed.

The only files that were left in PERL are the ones that are run from a cron task. Since not everyone has access to PHP in cgi mode these cannot be ported over to PHP. Actually in the demo there should just be one file that is in PERL, and that is cron/doexpire.pl.

-------------------
Scream
WWWThreads Developer

UBB.threads Developer
OK...I got it!

It turns out when my winzip tried to open the zip file, it stripped all the directories and dumped all the files into one directory. A bug maybe?

So I used the other method by decompressing the file on the server. I used 'tar -xvf' as you suggested and it worked. Now I saw and got the correct install file. Thank you.

Unfortunately, though, I'm on VServers. I got the same error as the other guy (Pentagon?), so I can't try the demo again until I find another host.

Hi, Im trying to install the php demo on my new host but got this message on my browser when running createtabe.php. it looks like an error to me. Do I need to create the database first before running this createtable.php? It doesnt say it in install file.

Creating the tables... Seeya! No Database Selected: 1046Board table created... Seeya! No Database Selected: 1046Posts table created... Adding a master poll table... Seeya! No Database Selected: 1046Adding the poll results table... Seeya! No Database Selected: 1046Seeya! No Database Selected: 1046Last viewed table created... Seeya! No Database Selected: 1046Category table created... Seeya! No Database Selected: 1046Seeya! No Database Selected: 1046Users table created... Seeya! No Database Selected: 1046Moderator table created... Seeya! No Database Selected: 1046Messages table created... Seeya! No Database Selected: 1046Banned table created... Seeya! No Database Selected: 1046Groups table createdSeeya! No Database Selected: 1046Seeya! No Database Selected: 1046Seeya! No Database Selected: 1046Seeya! No Database Selected: 1046Basic groups created... Seeya! No Database Selected: 1046Online table created... Seeya! No Database Selected: 1046Subscribe table created... Creating table for the address book... Seeya! No Database Selected: 1046 All tables created. Don't forget to send an email to scream\@wwwthreads.com with the URL of your discussion forum, so you can be added to WWWThreads 'In Use' page. This will give other potential Admins a chance to see the script in action. It will really help WWWThreads to gain in popularity if you leave the link back to wwwthreads.com intact. If you don't feel like having it at the bottom of the forums, please link to it somewhere. Also, if you create any custom buttons or add-ons for the program and feel like making them available to the public, please send them to me and I will put them on the miscellaneous page. Thanks, Scream (Rick Baker [email protected])

Guru
Guru
Guess I should clarify in the INSTALL file. Yes, you do need to create the database first before running the createtable.php file. The name of the database created needs to match the one set in the config file as well.

-------------------
Scream
WWWThreads Developer

UBB.threads Developer
Sponsored Links
alright...it worked!! It created all the tables. But what is my next step?? The install file says I would get a link to add to my admin user. Where are the link and the admin user? Sorry for all these dumb questions. This is my first time installing w3t. I feel like walking in the dark here...

I got this in my browser:

Creating the tables... Board table created... Posts table created... Adding a master poll table... Adding the poll results table... Last viewed table created... Category table created... Users table created... Moderator table created... Messages table created... Banned table created... Groups table createdBasic groups created... Online table created... Subscribe table created... Creating table for the address book... All tables created. Don't forget to send an email to scream\@wwwthreads.com with the URL of your discussion forum, so you can be added to WWWThreads 'In Use' page. This will give other potential Admins a chance to see the script in action. It will really help WWWThreads to gain in popularity if you leave the link back to wwwthreads.com intact. If you don't feel like having it at the bottom of the forums, please link to it somewhere. Also, if you create any custom buttons or add-ons for the program and feel like making them available to the public, please send them to me and I will put them on the miscellaneous page. Thanks, Scream (Rick Baker [email protected])

If it's anything like installing the Perl version, then it should be installed now and the next step is to open up the forums in your web browser to the wwwthreads.php file and create the first user - this will be member #1 and automatically becomes the administrator (so choose your name carefully). Then when you log in with the password it sends you you will be able to see the Admin link.

Darren.
http://www.bullpen.com.au

I have the same experience when I install the demo.

I think WWWThreads is a very good package, but I think the document need to be better even for the demo version.

I just wonder, will I get a full set of documents that telling me each steps of installation and administration for the PHP version if I pay for it? I am planning to do this. Or I need to figure out how to do it myself (such as creating the database before running the createtable) even for the paid version?

Guru
Guru
The documentation is a work in progress. Sixpack69 is working on the online docs, PERL at this time, and I'll be adding to the docs included with the package as people have troubles with certain things. Patching the demo version up today to include a few extra install points, and fixing the missing link to creating the first user.

-------------------
Scream
WWWThreads Developer

UBB.threads Developer
It works!! I got my demo to work. Thank you.

Few minor things, though:

1. There seems a little bug in createtable file. You seem forget to escape the double quotes inside echo command after line 512, creating parsing error.

2. When I go to admin section, none of my images and stylesheets load up. That's maybe because the paths were set relatively off the main directory, not the admin directory.

3. I set $config['preview'] to "1", but the "I want to preview my post" is not checked by default.

4. When I try to edit my recently posted message by clicking on the "edit" button, the brower shows File Not Found.

I hope the bugs are only on the demo version but not on the full version. Overall, I'm very happy that it works on my host!!

Sponsored Links
Guru
Guru
Glad you got it going. Thanks for the info about the createtable problem, got that fixed.

With the admin scripts, you need to make sure you edit the upper line of main.inc.php and set the $thispath variable. Also you need to make sure the variables such as $config[styledir] are not relative. These should be set to the actual path from your document root.

The config[preview] is a bug, that I'm fixing now, thanks for the info.

Editing posts is not available in the demo version, just forgot to pull out the links[]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/].

-------------------
Scream
WWWThreads Developer

UBB.threads Developer
Journeyman
Journeyman
christo8000:

I am pentagon, the other guy on vservers []/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/] and I wanted to know which other host you chose and what's your experience with them...I don't want to move from vservers to find that I have the same porblem at some other host, so I want to go to one where SO successfuly installed the PHP version.....

Thanks

Hey Pentagon...I decided to give webpipe.net a shot. I've been with them only a few days and this is what I think:

Things that I like about webpipe:

1. They run the latest PHP (4.0.3), at least on my server.

2. It's so much cheaper than VServers.

These 2 reasons alone are enough to defeat the negatives I will mention below.

3. Their architechture is simpler too. For example, when you first log in, you will see only 2 directories: one for your web documents and the other for MySQL. You know what to use right away. On VServers, so many directories that I have no clue what they are for.

4. It seems like you can customize your host almost anything you like, not rigid like VS. But that's maybe because I'm using a dedicated MySQL.

5. Email response has been pretty quick, sometimes less than 1 hour but mostly a few hours, or the next day if you send it at night.

6. Just like this site, it also provides a board for users to post questions/comments so you can always look up for answers.

What I don't like about webpipe:

1. No documentation!! If you're used to reading the extensive manual from VServers, then you might go crazy like me. When I tried to install the w3t demo, I spent most of my time waiting for my questions to be answered from webpipe or, well, wwwthreads when I was stuck. I think I can remember the Gore and Bush's speeches by heart now after doing nothing but watching TV and waiting.

Also, I'm using a dedicated MySQL, so things are a little bit more complicated. I had to configure the username and password and privilege for each database--something that I'd never done before. On VServers, you don't need to do all this. But I assume if you use a non-dedicated MySQL, it would be a lot easier. But then you might lose some performance and flexibility.

2. Some unusual settings. For example, all directories don't have 'write' permission by default. So when I tried to install the demo, it gave me an error saying something like 'cannot open a session file. permission denied'. It took me a while to realize that it basically tried to open AND write a session file into a directory.

3. No web-based email access. Again, I'm spoiled by VServers. But they told me I could install it myself.

I've been satisfied with webpipe. I think it is perfect for people with some technical knowledge who know to get around the system. Once I'm familar with their system, things will be much easier for me.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums63
Topics37,573
Posts293,925
Members13,849