Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Coder
Coder
You're virtual self is walking through aisles and aisles of small software boxes at the WCSoft Computer Store. Each box contains a plug-in for wwwthreads. A plug-in could be a new feature, a new application, a new function that would add to WWWThreads in some way.

Which one would you buy? []/w3timages/icons/cool.gif[/]

Try to be specific. []/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/]

- Six
[email protected]
mYth productions

Sponsored Links
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
template support, integration with other scripts (e.g. phpnuke, linksql, free email etc.), email replies to every reply to your post, subscription to threads, EMAIL POSTING (i know that this is only valuable for a certain few), template support, support for differnet headers/styles for each board, i am trying to make a calander for wwwthreads so users can add events and it currently shows all the registers users birthdays, avatars, and that is all i can think of really.

[:red]--------------
http://extremeforums.org/index

Here's a few..

- Webmail
- Postgres Support
- Template Support

Master Hacker
Master Hacker
>>i am trying to make a calander for wwwthreads so users can add events and it currently shows all the registers users birthdays, avatars,

I'd love to see that.

[]http://www.amdragon.com/images/eileensig.gif[/]

MTO Offline
Addict
Addict
The big one would be that: Template support.
If I could do so easily I would probably love to change the whole look of the forum, I am sure it would be quite different.
Then, site integration, things like poil comented, seen phpnuke? Get the idea... []/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/]

Mateo Byler
CruceDeCaminos.com

Sponsored Links
I have been to phpnuke. That sight proves one thing for sure:

Being dynamic and versatile isn't necessarily a good thing!

Template Support with w3t runs risks for Scream by potentially turing one of the nicest looking forums available to the monstrosity that is phpnuke []/w3timages/icons/crazy.gif[/]...

Socrates
ForumExperts

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
actually, i don't think scream should have to integrate with anything. for the majority of users only a few percent would actualy take advantage of that.

my test calender, so far it only shows one birtday per month. you can add your birthday in the edit profile, it uses extra3 and extra4 coulmns.
http://www.extremeforums.org/calendar.php?Cat=

Kahuna
Kahuna
A postlist that pulls new messages since last login, with display preferences to show specific forums, and of course other postlist options like x threads per page, expanded/collapsed, flat/threaded, etc... and mark them new also since there would be other messages that weren't new on there if expanded, etc. Get it? []/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/]

Muhammad Chishti
Creative dIRECTOR
[:white]http://www.imcuniverse.com

Muhammad
Power User
Power User
Chat world be nice. There is a cute php chat available at http://www.webscriptworld.com/scripts/wcm.phtml " target="_blank"> http://www.webscriptworld.com/scripts/wcm.phtml I don't know how stable it is, but it's free.

MTO Offline
Addict
Addict
Most of us who are on hosted servers are not allowed to install chatrooms to our websites because of server load... I´d be more inclined to including a chat that does not take server load from the site we are in at. JPilot looks like an interesting thing to me, uses irc servers (not installed on yours), maybe if you get the username into it, it could become a cool addon.

Mateo Byler
CruceDeCaminos.com

Sponsored Links
Power User
Power User
I can't imagine any server load with a php chat. It uses simple browser refresh. But then again...

MTO Offline
Addict
Addict
Its sending a page every what? Ten seconds?

Mateo Byler
CruceDeCaminos.com

MTO Offline
Addict
Addict
Site Integration is the way to go!
- Ability to quickly add a possibility for users to comment on your site pages (pages not in the forum).
1 2 3

Mateo Byler
CruceDeCaminos.com

Kahuna
Kahuna
I'd like to see the option for users to create their own (static) web page or web card via W3T (sort of like a beefed up user profile).

Gerrit
SpiritBoard
http://www.channeling.net

MTO Offline
Addict
Addict
Me too. a profile "web card" that they can share with friends, allow upload of a picture or two, customization of their profile card as they like it, colors, layout, etc... almost like a one page webpage that they could have as their own. With an easy url access for easy sharing with others.

Mateo Byler
CruceDeCaminos.com

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
uhm, what kinda of options would you like there to be? one could be done dynamically like page.php?un=poil11. they had something like this for vb once, but it was up to the user to create all the html. i was thinking layout options, name, picture/photos, more advanced version of the show profile screen. just give users an option to create a web page without having to know html and what not?

MTO Offline
Addict
Addict
En respuesta a:

just give users an option to create a web page without having to know html and what not?

Basically, yes. I guess a little more markup codes could be used for this.
The thing is, if anyone would make use of such thing, would be those that dont have webpages and dont know how. My guess is that those who do have personal webpages will hardly use it, but it could be nice for those who dont.
Chatting by irc/icq: -"Do you have a pic?" -"Yes, go to http://domain/Iam.php?MTO". -"OK, I´ll go see now..."
You end up providing a service that brings more people in...

What I am thinking:
- Auto Insert markup (easy javascript script)
- 1 or 2 picture uploads.
- Favorite links (though they could do this manually if they were interested though markup...)
- as you say, more advanced v. of show profile screen.
- Almost complete customization (you want to make it worthwhile and atractive to them...).
- Easy url. "Iam.php?MTO" would be better than "Iam.php?un=MTO", and MTO.html even better...

Mateo Byler
CruceDeCaminos.com

Kahuna
Kahuna
I was thinking it would be best to have static pages created, which gets written whenever they edit it. This would keep server load down, since those pages are not interactive I don't see the need for them to be php or perl driven. A url could look like www.mydomain.com/webcard/username, i.e. I think it would be best to create a directory for each username, that'll keep their picture uploads straight, then have their actual page named index.htm - this would allow for later expanding this to maybe a second and third page as this feature gets further developed. I was thinking about writing this up myself, but the response on my own site has been not exactly overwhelming, seems only I'm crazy about the idea []/w3timages/icons/crazy.gif[/].

Gerrit
SpiritBoard
http://www.channeling.net

MTO Offline
Addict
Addict
Here is another plug-in idea:
POP mailbox lookup. I wouldnt be interested in ofering free pop emails, but adding a script of those to allow members to look up their mail from the webpage would be cool. I´d probably want this to go through SSL for higher security of their email, but it could blend nicely with the mywwwthreads when ever it comes up.

Mateo Byler
CruceDeCaminos.com

Journeyman
Journeyman
the ability to create a "MyW3T" portal for the average user where all of their communication could be centralized and would include:

webmail that hooks into existing POP3 mail accounts as most of the big services like hotmail etc provide.

webchat

a totally GUI interface with an integrated icon palette that would allow you to simply click an icon and insert the desired icon or html in a message. clicking on a smiley face icon would insert a smiley face into message etc.

message previewing in threaded mode. that is see the first line or so in threaded mode instead of just the title and the user and the time. this way you can quickly decide whether you want to read a reply or not.

better laid out user profile editing area a la vBulletin

ability to produce printer friendly version of messages a la vBulletin

ability email article or thread a la vBulletin

no I'm not a unpaid PR guy for vBulletin. just saw some of these features on their sites.

Kurt Carter
Florist Systems
"The Business and Technology Partner of the Local Florist"

Edited by kcweb on 02/01/01 07:29 PM.

Coder
Coder
In reply to:

webmail that hooks into existing POP3 mail accounts as most of the big services like hotmail etc provide.

Could you elaborate on this one? I'm not too familiar with hotmail's detailed features on this.

In reply to:

Webchat

What platform do you think would make the best chat?

- Six
[email protected]
mYth productions

Coder
Coder
How were you thinking that might work? Sort of like the header.include file, where the user would input the main html code and w3t would take care of the rest, displaying the full webpage when asked?

- Six
[email protected]
mYth productions

Coder
Coder
In reply to:

Webmail

You mean hosting actual email mailboxes or just the ability to check their pop account from your site?

In reply to:

- Postgres Support
- Template Support

Could you elaborate on these two? They're sort of broad topics, could you explain specifically what you mean by each with maybe an example?

Thanks!

- Six
[email protected]
mYth productions

Coder
Coder
You'd mentioned template support twice. What do you mean by this exactly? Give an example if you can.

Thanks!

- Six
[email protected]
mYth productions

MTO Offline
Addict
Addict
I dont know what others think when they speak of templates, but to me it would mean almost complete control over the look of the forum. For example, here in showflat view, I would completely change the way the tables are made, customized to the way I like it.
Seen gossamer-threads Links? They have templates that allow this.
I am attaching a template (freely available) so that you can start dreaming just as well. []/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/]
A template basically means easy customization.

Mateo Byler
CruceDeCaminos.com
Attachments
29845-category.html.txt (0 Bytes, 12 downloads)

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
that is exactly what i am talking about. at this moment in time i know where certain things are to customize them, but everytime a new version comes out i will have them to make em look the way i want them to. if it was easy to customize the menu up top for logged in users, or logged out users. so each time there is an upgrade i can just move my old templates over. that way people who don't know perl/php can design there boards to match there site as much as possible.

Journeyman
Journeyman
if you check any of the major webmail services, yahoo, hotmail etc, they all allow you to enter the coordinates of your pop3 mail accounts and then let you retrieve and view mail from these mailboxes in html format on their service.

cool little trick and doesn't sound too hard to do.

re webchat:

not sure, I'm just starting to investigate this are myself.

hey, how do you get the nicely formatted reply quote in your message to me?

Kurt Carter
Florist Systems
"The Business and Technology Partner of the Local Florist"

Edited by kcweb on 02/04/01 08:32 PM (server time).

Coder
Coder
In reply to:

hey, how do you get the nicely formatted reply quote in your message to me?

Use the quote markup described in FAQ [ quote ] Actual quote [ / quote ] without all the spaces in between brackets. []/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/]

- Six
[email protected]
mYth productions

MTO Offline
Addict
Addict
I just took some time now to go searching for webmail scripts that we could try to plug into w3t:
NOCC Webmail: PHP. The most convincing one to me right now... can use sendmail or smtp, checks imap and pop3, multiple languages, GPL license, changelog reflects its development is alive, looks like it would plug in fine, multiple platforms. One thing though, it does not need a database, so I am not sure if that would make it easier or harder. The thing that you should remember is that you dont want to host the email, just provide a way to read/write, so you dont really need to write much into a database anyway...

Popper: PHP, MySQL. Another great one, though it almost looks too much like Outlook Express (so not much like w3t). This one does use a database, can also send by sendmail, multiple languages, and some others...

RYMO: PHP. Looks like a very simple but fine script.

Mateo Byler
CruceDeCaminos.com

Coder
Coder
I like NOCC.

How were you envisioning them to be integrated into W3T? Only registered members could use it? Maybe their username and server name could be saved (password optional) and attached to their W3T username?

- Six
[email protected]
mYth productions

MTO Offline
Addict
Addict
Yes, only registered users should be able to use it.
The username and pop server name would be saved, (option to save password as you say)... The whole thing would be available from the login.php/pl page (in the future the much commented "my wwwthreads page".
So yes, that is practically how I am envisioning it.

Mateo Byler
CruceDeCaminos.com

Coder
Coder
I don't see that as being difficult at all.

For me personally, I'm just learning perl so I'm guessing I'll go for a perl script first, then a php afterward perhaps. Maybe after a perl version is out someone might be willing to tackle the php version. []/w3timages/icons/crazy.gif[/]

- Six
[email protected]
mYth productions

Coder
Coder
I've decided to go ahead with this one next. The webmail plug-in will be slated next, but I think this has some potential to draw in more users (and keep them) for w3t sites.

I think the best way to set it up would be to allow the admin to specify a directory for all the webpages to go into. Then within that directory, each user would have their own folder named the same as their username. So if you designated "webpages" as the folder to write to, and MTO made his webpage, the path would be:

http://www.wwwthreads.com/webpages/MTO

I think the size could also be something the admin defines. The rest of the variables I can think of can be pulled from the w3tvars.pm file (types of files allowed to be uploaded, etc.).

Since it wouldn't be using the database, it could work on any of the databases w3t already supports, and would probably be easily ported over to php with a little effort.

I'll take a deeper look into the code I've got now and see what I can do with it. When I get a beta up and working I'll post it in the customizations/hacks forum.

- Six
[email protected]
mYth productions

MTO Offline
Addict
Addict
This sounds great! []/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/]

Mateo Byler
CruceDeCaminos.com

MTO Offline
Addict
Addict
Have problems with your users posting pictures too big?
Have problems with users who never get their profile picture in because they dont know how to resize them?
Have problem with user pictures format (generally bmps)?

Here is another interesting plug-in possibility: Image Converter.
We could probably look into setting up something similar to Eileens SpellChecker.net plug-in. Take a look, and see if it looks like a possibility.

Some months ago I had seen something similar to this, but somewhere else that I cant remember now... but do take a look!

Mateo Byler
CruceDeCaminos.com

Hi, All w3ter.

I'd like to suggest that since the admin secition upgrade is over on this stage after the PHP beta out. We should have a board to discuss and relist all the wishlist in a more clear form so that we can help all of w3ter know what will be add and what to expect.[]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/]

Any comments?

Coder
Coder
Sidekick::MyPage is now in beta. Posted it in the customizations/hack perl forum

Sidekick::MyPage

- Six
[email protected]
mYth productions

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63