Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
User
User
there are 3 columns. What is the purpose of the 3 columns in the read/write groups?

Sherri

Sherri
Sponsored Links
We've been trying to figure that one out all day too!! We've been trying assign the various boards read/write access, but haven't figured out what these 3 columns are for??

Mickalo

Guru
Guru
There should be several groups listed in this area with checkboxes next to them. If you want that group to have that particular privilege for that forum you would place a checkmark next to the group. If you do not want them to have that privilege then you would make sure there is no checkmark next to the group.

UBB.threads Developer
User
User
I understand this much but why are they in there 3 times?

Column one:

Administrators
Guests
Users
Moderators

Column two:

Moderators
Administrators
Guests
Users

Column three:

Users
Moderators
Administrators
Guests

Let's say if I wanted to ban any guests from posting, do I check the box next to the guests in all 3 columns or just one? Just wondering what the purpose of having these listed 3 times instead of once.

Sherri

Sherri
Guru
Guru
It looks like you have multiple groups in your w3t_Groups table. Did you do a fresh install when you purchased or did you upgrade? Just trying to figure out how those extra groups got in there, because they shouldn't be listed 3 times.

What you can do is go to a mysql prompt mysql -u username databasename -p and execute the following query. (Note this will remove any custom groups you have added)

DELETE FROM w3t_Groups WHERE G_Id > 4;

UBB.threads Developer
Sponsored Links
We have the same problems! And we installed the lastest version(PHP)!

Guru
Guru
Did you do a fresh install or upgrade from the demo? Need to know where to look on the redundant group problem.

-------------------
Scream
WWWThreads

UBB.threads Developer
We first install the previous version, 5.1.4 I believe, then installed the required updated files for the new version 5.1.5 for PHP. Nothing had been done with the board while the 5.1.4 version was installed. The forum was set up after the upgrade.

Just to add to this, I just pulled up the w3t_Groups table and there is definitely a redunance problem here. The groups where duplicated 3 times. Only one custom group was added, which is in the w3t_Groups table once. But the other default groups appear 3 times for each group. We only ran the install.php file ONCE.

Hope this may help

Edited by mickalo on 01/22/01 10:13 AM.

User
User
I did a fresh install of the beta and have upgraded since the beta.

Sherri

Sherri
User
User
Scream,

Finally got around to try and delete the extra tables and got the following error:

mysql> mysql -u username databasename -p
-> DELETE FROM w3t_Groups WHERE G_Id > 4;
ERROR 1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax near 'mysql -u username databasename -p
DELETE FROM w3t_Groups WHERE G_Id > 4' at line 1

I of course changed the username and database to my username and database names.

I also have figured out how I got so many groups. Each time createtable.php is run, it creates a new set of tables. I had errors when running mine and after attempting to fix the errors, I would run createtable. Maybe there should be something added to createtable that comes up with an error message that says the tables have already been created so it won't happen again.

Sherri

Sherri
Sponsored Links
Guru
Guru
Once you are in the mysql prompt all you need to do is run the DELETE FROM line. mysql -u username databasename -p <-- This line is only needed to get to the mysql prompt itself.

UBB.threads Developer
Sally #207652 02/09/2001 11:07 AM
User
User
Thanks Scream. I am a telnet newbie and guess I still have a lot to learn. Sorry. []/w3timages/icons/blush.gif[/]

Sherri

Sherri
John Ruck #207653 02/11/2001 1:08 PM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I had the same problem, and, although I have not the faintest idea about SQL, i tried the command "DELETE FROM w3t_Groups WHERE G_Id > 4" in PHPMyAdmin and it worked. Groups-Problem gone.
I think this is a cool top also for a FAQ ?
Thanks Carl

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Bill B
Bill B
Issaquah, WA
Forum Statistics
Forums63