Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#208476 02/17/2001 9:39 PM
MTO
Addict
Addict
I really like what I see, good job. Still there are things that can be improved []/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/]:

- Edditing others posts: Please, Scream, allow us not to have that dreadful "Edited by Administrator on 18.02.2001 14:30 (server time). text attached to it... some times it just means asking for trouble... allow us to choose to sign it as edited or not, just like what happens when we edit our own.
- Database Manager: Would be cool to have a "create database backup file" option.
- How about option to Edit header & footer?
- Assigning moderators to categories would be cool, but not essential.

Mateo Byler
CruceDeCaminos.com

Sponsored Links
MTO
Addict
Addict
Private message statistics: It includes those that are automatically sent by the system when they register, right? Would there be a way for you to take these out of the count? Otherwise I have no idea how much the pms are being used at all.

Mateo Byler
CruceDeCaminos.com

In reply to:

- Edditing others posts: Please, Scream, allow us not to have that dreadful "Edited by Administrator on 18.02.2001 14:30

I think it's enough to replace in postedit.pl the line

if ( $Username eq $Postedby ) {

by

if ( $Username eq $Postedby || ($user{'Status'} eq "Administrator") ) {

In reply to:

- Database Manager: Would be cool to have a "create database backup file" option.

Dump => tar => some action (copy to some folder or mail the tar) would be a more complete feature.

In reply to:

- How about option to Edit header & footer?

Maybe it's worthy to extend the feature such that we can have a different header for each category and/or forum.

MTO
Addict
Addict
One thing that I was expecting to see in 5.2 that is not in it at this time (there is still time to get it in!) is that so much requested Delete button when reading posts. Scream, we want a delete button next to the edit one, it can have a confirmation screen, but having to go into edit, delete, confirm screen, done screen, and into postlist (not even into the thead...) is too much. Deleting posts is a long, long process, and if there are 17 posts to delete, like I just had because of an error on my part, it can be a long, long, long, long, long, long process.
Now that you are working on the admin part would be the time to do this. []/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/]

Another missing feature for what I expected for this upgrade is in the same place, say you are in the middle of a thread, being able to delete a post with all the replies after it. Or maybe this one is there but I cant see it because of the bug with the two missing buttons mentioned in the bugs forum. Anway... as it has been talked much before, we´d like to be able to easily delete a post with all of its replies.

Hope you are still taking requests and comments, not just looking for bugs at this momment.

Mateo Byler
CruceDeCaminos.com

Guru
Guru
Well these will come, but not with this release. Remember when I asked what everyone wanted, and the vast majority said release now[]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/]. So, that's what I did. I've already began porting over to PHP so I don't want to add any new features to the PERL version now. Don't worry, more will come, you'll just need to be a bit more patient[]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/].

UBB.threads Developer
Sponsored Links
tym #208481 02/18/2001 6:58 PM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Hi--

I agree with MTO's 1st 3 and your last one.

The rest, I did not understand (I'm not into the technical part that deeply--no need to explain!). []/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/]

:-Doug.
[][email protected][/]
www.FootprintsintheWind.com

Power User
Power User
next to the edit button so that in flat mode I can select several posts and delete them all with one click... OK, may both of these would be reall cool, a check box and delete button next to the edit button!

tym #208483 02/21/2001 3:03 PM
In reply to:

Dump => tar => some action (copy to some folder or mail the tar) would be a more complete feature.

Basically what you want is:

#!/bin/sh
echo "Content-type: application/x-compressed-gzip"
echo
mysqldump DBNAME | gzip --to-stdout

Although I'm not sure if that content-type is right. But through that script behind a link with a script name like "current_db.gz", and make that program run as a CGI and not have the server treat it as a gzip archive, and the browser will be completely oblivious that the DB isn't a static file but is actually being created/gzip'ed on the fly. :)

D

JMFH #208484 02/21/2001 4:09 PM
I have not implemented this script, but I find the idea very clever! []/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/]

Hope Scream will be interested in.

JMFH #208485 02/22/2001 1:10 PM
Master Hacker
Master Hacker
You're obviously the man to answer my question:

I want to do something like this:

SELECT B_Number,B_Posted,B_Username,B_IP,B_Subject,B_Body,B_File,B_Sig
FROM w3t_Posts
WHERE B_Board = "one_of_my_boards"
ORDER BY B_Number ASC

and have it write the results into a textfile. It's very similar to the subscriptions script but I don't want it to email the results - I just want them in a file. How do I do that?

[]http://www.wopr.com/w3tuserpics/Eileen-sig.gif[/]

Sponsored Links
Chris Schreiber #208486 02/22/2001 11:02 PM
Power User
Power User
create a file, command.txt and add to it
connect WWWThreads;
select * from w3t_Boards;

mysql < command.txt > dump.txt

that should take the commands from command.txt, execute, and then send the output to dump.txt
Depending on your security you may need to add the -u and -p options to the mysql comamnd.

If you are using a UNIX shell
mysql <<EOD >dump.txt
connect WWWThreads;
select * from w3t_Posts;
EOD

may also work from within your script.

this may also help: http://www.mysql.com/doc/B/a/Batch_mode.html

Rob

Opaque #208487 02/23/2001 1:27 AM
Master Hacker
Master Hacker
I'm not sure i understand the logic behind that...
But I think I've got a workable solution from Brew.

Power User
Power User
from dos or the command line.

Master Hacker
Master Hacker
Ah, I get it now. That's similar to the way I have Cron do my backup dump.

Sally #208490 03/01/2001 8:05 PM
MTO
Addict
Addict
One more "missing" feature is the ability to edit the email messages that are sent. I just noticed it now when I went in to edit them.

Anyway... Scream, what will be next after you finish porting to PHP? Will it be more Admin stuff or will you move on to the other announced "user interface" or some other area? Just curious. []/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/]

Mateo Byler
CruceDeCaminos.com

Guru
Guru
Actually the next thing I want to do is something that is more oriented towards the speed area. It's nothing that will take along time, but since both versions here run on the same database I have to do the PHP and the PERL updates at the same time.

The first one involves the way the main topics are indexed. Right now it has to do a full table read when grabbing all of the main posts instead of using the indexes. So this is a bottleneck on larger forums.

The second one I want to put a limit on how many days worth of posts are pulled from the database. Meaning you will get a default profile option for how many days worth of posts you want to view, as most of the time people won't be worried about the older posts. This also is a bottleneck on larger forums.

Once these 2 things are done, then I'll be waiting on user feedback for what to concentrate on next. The 3 candidates will probably be the admin area, the user interface (my w3t area), or site integration stuff.

UBB.threads Developer
Sally #208492 03/01/2001 9:43 PM
Master Hacker
Master Hacker
!! the user interface (my w3t area)!!
Yes. This! Please.

Sally #208493 03/01/2001 10:03 PM
MTO
Addict
Addict
Thanks for the info. []/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/]

Uff! Tough decission... right now I would probably vote for site integration... but lets see what I think when you ask us. []/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/]

Mateo Byler
CruceDeCaminos.com

Great news. I was wondering what can be done to improve the speed. Caching would be a great feature I think. Pages are dynamically generated, I know, but all pages are not changing frequently, so a special caching system has to be found.

Sally #208495 03/02/2001 8:11 PM
MTO
Addict
Addict
One more thing that should probably be in the admin "Edit configuration settings" page is the ability to see the server time as a reference where you ask:
Adjust the base time in hours (...,2,1,0,-1,-2,...): [ ]

This is such a small addon feature that you could probably get it in now in the "bug fix period", even if its not a bug []/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/].

Mateo Byler
CruceDeCaminos.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
AllenAyres
AllenAyres
Texas
Forum Statistics
Forums63