Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#209355 03/26/2001 2:20 PM
Ok, I know these are supposed to show me if there's a new thread or post in a forum from the forum listing, and inside show me which threads have new replies in them....but, whenever I go into a forum with a new thread, read them, then use index to go back to forum list, then index to go back to the main listing....if I return back into that forum, it's still showing, oftentimes, the red parenthesis, even though there's no new post in the thread.

Why is that? Can I fix it?

Sponsored Links
Power User
Power User
maybe you hit the back button on your browser to get to the previous page.. that doesn't refresh the data. try hitting frefresh or going back by using a linkinstead...

tgnb
Nope, I'm using links to navigate. It correctly displays on the main forum listing if new things are contained therein, it's just when you click into the forum, that suddenly, threads you have already read, and have nothing new in them still have the (1) or whatever next to the total number of replies.

Anonymous #209358 03/26/2001 10:14 PM
Guru
Guru
Hmm. Just tried with links from my server and didn't get any problems. I'm not sure what would cause this. Is this happening here for you, or just on your site?

UBB.threads Developer
Sally #209359 03/26/2001 11:03 PM
It happens here for me too. Usually it happens if I've "hung" out here awhile, leaving a browser pointed to the main forum listing, same with my site.

Sponsored Links
Anonymous #209360 03/26/2001 11:06 PM
Guru
Guru
Ah, that will happen if there is a long amount of inactivity. I believe it's about 4 hours. At this point when you come back it clears out the temporary visited posts field in the database and this can kind of throw off the display. I've been contemplating increasing the inactivity time, but need to see how this will affect the size of that field first.

UBB.threads Developer
At least on my boards, and I just don't know if it's happened here or not, I'll look for it...

Anyway, I enter a forum, see a whole list of threads with new messages in them, and I start reading them from the bottom up (Because I like to read oldest new to the newest new) Each time, I enter thread, read the new message(s) and then "Index" my way back up to the forum. And, the thread(s) that I've read have the red parenthesis taken away (correct functionality).

However, if I reply to a thread somewhere along in my reading, once the message is posted, and I "index" my way back up to the forum, ALL of the red parenthesis that were there at the start of my session are back....no new messages in them, but it's still indicating that there is.

Anonymous #209362 05/14/2001 12:03 PM
Well, this problem had persisted for so long that I just got into the habit of right clicking on reply, choosing to open it in a new window, and saving my replies til I had read every forum, and there were no more new posts to read, post my replies, then log out, back in so I wouldn't have to deal with it.

Recently, I was messing around with my configuration sheet settings, and I decided to tweak a few things. First, my server sits on a hosted site, and the time difference between it and me is, if I recall offhand, +7 (I have to add 7 hours to my time to get to it) and I had set in the configuration to offset that time by 7 hours so the "board" would be in my time.

Well, I set the offset back to 0, and put my personal profile offset to 7, and the whole problem cleared up. It completely works as it should with respect to red parenthesis. So, I'm not sure what exactly in the code would yield the behaviour, I"m just telling you what I did to fix it, and there may be a bug in the code around the configuration sheet of setting the whole board to an offset, as opposed to individual viewers.

Anonymous #209363 05/14/2001 10:10 PM
Guru
Guru
I really appreciate the info on what you did to clear this up. This will help me see if I can find a configuration problem or a programming bug that would result in this.

UBB.threads Developer

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63