Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Master Hacker
Master Hacker
In all those places where you have an icon with its text equivalent mext to it, could you make the link include them both?

[]http://www.wopr.com/w3tuserpics/Eileen-sig.gif[/]

Sponsored Links
Guru
Guru
I can do that. Would need to remove the space between the icon and the text though so there isn't an underline before the text, but I wonder if that will make it look to close without the space? Guess I can give it a try and find out.

UBB.threads Developer
Master Hacker
Master Hacker
I'd forgotten about that because I have my browser set to only underline on hover.

Guru
Guru
Taking the space out made it look to crammed, so I left the space in. Doesn't look too bad I don't think.

UBB.threads Developer
Master Hacker
Master Hacker
I hope that's OK with the other because it's perfect for me. Thankyou.
Are we going to separate all the other link images in the same way? It would make them universally useful instead of restricted to the English speakers.

Sponsored Links
Guru
Guru
I was thinking the same thing. Right now you have to make different images like Edit and Reply to have the icon and the text in them, but if we do all images the same way then it's just a matter of using the language files. Maybe some others can chime in here and see what they think.

UBB.threads Developer
Perfect for me!

Power User
Power User
This would be good.

MTO Offline
Addict
Addict
Ill just add some more invisible space to the right side of the icons, this way you can remove the white space and the problem will be gone.

Mateo Byler
CruceDeCaminos.com

MTO Offline
Addict
Addict
[removing text from within the buttons] There would be some advantages and some dissadvantages. Or at least it would not be as simple as it might seem right now:

Basically either at times the text would become too long or not descriptive enough. For example, right now in the page you are reading this (at least if you are in showflat) the []http://www.wwwthreads.com/w3timages/next.gif[/] button has an alt text that reads "Next thread", and something even longer in Spanish: "Siguiente Conversación". You could just say "Next" (as the image does right now not considering the ALT text), but then you are not descriptive enough, and users might be confussed.
Same happens with many other buttons, for example the []http://www.wwwthreads.com/w3timages/all.gif[/] button just reads "Index" in the image itself, but the Alt text reads "View all threads", and even longer in for example Spanish: "Ver todas las conversaciones"... I havent checked other languages.

If we were to use just icons and text then the only real solution so that it looks good at the same time it is understandable would be to have something like this:
[Next icon] <---- Should have an ALT tag reading "Next Thread".
followed by the text:
Next <---- the link should have the "title" attribute to it that acts the same way as the Alt text does in images... as far as I know this only works on IE5, but still... better than not having it.

The other only real solution would be to continue using text inside the button gifs, but have different language button folders, and call them depending on your language, similarly as what is done with the language text.

Mateo Byler
CruceDeCaminos.com

Sponsored Links
To remove the underline on that space, use the stylesheet. Just set A's text-decoration property to 'none' and the underline is gone! []/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/] - It can easily be done for that link along using the style attribute tag or for a group of links (menu options) using the class system.

Yours,

[:red]Per Gøtterup
System Administrator, NetGroup A/S

Master Hacker
Master Hacker
Umm. That same problem is going to apply to all these new image plus following-text link that we're all enthusing over...

Guru
Guru
I do have that enabled in some of the stylesheets. The desert one though has all links underlined to demonstrate that various styles that can be acheived.

UBB.threads Developer

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63