Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#209956 04/11/2001 12:25 PM
Power User
Power User
Something else that I have had repeated requests for, and a feature that might fit in quite well with the Control Panel, is a Find User Feature. Right now, in order for me to get to a display of a user's profile, while armed only with a user's name, is to perform a Search by User to display the user's posts, and then to click on the user's link next to the post.

Many times I just want to be able to search for a particular user and be taken directly to that user's profile. There is, at this time, no direct way to do this. Consider it a "favorite users" feature for the Control Panel, to go along with "favorite threads" and "favorite forums." Just make it a small search box rather than a listing.

Which leads me to another issue. If we must enter our Control Panel to see whether our friends are online, wouldn't it be just as easy to eliminate the "Who's Online" link from the main displays and put it in the Control Panel? Same with the User List.

Derek

Sponsored Links
ComMaster #209957 04/11/2001 1:56 PM
In reply to:

Which leads me to another issue. If we must enter our Control Panel to see whether our friends are online, wouldn't it be just as easy to eliminate the "Who's Online" link from the main displays and put it in the Control Panel? Same with the User List.

I'm not sure that's a good idea. What if we don't have ALL of our friends in our "favorites", or we may be looking for "new" friends, etc. If you're saying put the "Who's Online" in the control panel, doesn't that make the control panel even more crowed?

I think I'd like to leave that as is.

http://www.yourvacationdreams.com

Anonymous #209958 04/11/2001 2:42 PM
Power User
Power User
Vik,
In reply to:

What if we don't have ALL of our friends in our "favorites", or we may be looking for "new" friends, etc. If you're saying put the "Who's Online" in the control panel, doesn't that make the control panel even more crowed?

I am simply suggesting that the links could be moved from the main display panels into the Control Panel. Only the links, the behavior would not change at all. Since you are going to go into the control panel to see which of your friends is online, you might as well put the links to "Who's Online" and "User List" in there as-well.

The User List is quite unwieldy anyway. In a board that has say, 25,000 users, it is virtually useless in its current form. Here on W3T, it took me 2 minutes just to move through the pages to search for a specific user name that started with E. I don't think that it is a prime feature of W3T, and thus can be moved into the Control Panel without upsetting too many people.

As it is, "Edit Profile", "Send Private" and "Check Private" have all been moved into the Control Panel, and these are all features that probably get far more use than the "User List." Moving "Who's Online" and "User List" into the Control Panel merely rounds out the process.

BTW, the page brought up by the "User List" really needs an option to "Find User," And may be a better location for the "Find User" feature that I am suggesting. Without the ability to search for users, the "User List" is really just one big paperweight.

What I would then do is move "View Recent Messages" to the menu line and attach a selection box to it to accomodate "Past 24 Hours," "Past 48 Hours," and "Past 7 days." Finally I would create a new link called "Latest Threads," which would allow a user to see what the latest threads are rather than the latest posts.

Hence my navigation bar might look like this (some links not live):

[:blue]Admin | [:blue]Latest Threads | Latest Posts | Main Index | Control Panel | FAQ | Logout

I might even put "Self-Search" on the main menu, since it probably will be used quite a bit once it is available.

Here's what that navigation bar might look like:

[:blue]Admin | [:blue]Latest Threads | Latest Posts | [:blue]Self-Search | Main Index | Control Panel | FAQ | Logout

Derek

ComMaster #209959 04/11/2001 3:24 PM
I don't disagree with you on the User List. On a large board, it's virtually impossible to find anyone, and hence, it's pretty useless. However, the "Who's Online" is kind of nice where it is. Your approach will force me to click on Control Panel first, wait for it to load, and then I'll have to click on Who's Online. Two mouse clicks instead of one. Obviously it's not the mouse clicks that present a problem, but load times on a busy server. So I prefer to keep Who's Online where it is.

Your other ideas are pretty good, but right now I'm going to let Scream finish what he's currently got going, or we'll (all of us) will never see the next update. []/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/]

vik

http://www.yourvacationdreams.com

ComMaster #209960 04/11/2001 6:41 PM
MTO Offline
Addict
Addict
What I really want is a Search Profile page. That is something I really, really, really want.

Mateo Byler
CruceDeCaminos.com

Sponsored Links
D_Wolfwood #209961 04/11/2001 7:01 PM
Power User
Power User
I agree, what you suggest would do everything I want and more. Did Scream ever say whether the type of search you propose would integrate with the standard search engine? That seemed to be one of his concerns when you brought up the idea.

Derek

ComMaster #209962 04/11/2001 7:20 PM
Journeyman
Journeyman
If this is not part of the standard installation, do you think it is easy to hack? Someone told me it was, but I wonder why no one tried yet... I also want this, and I was hoping it would be easy to hack it myself. Any ideas?

ComMaster #209963 04/11/2001 7:20 PM
MTO Offline
Addict
Addict
Screams suggestion of a link from the standard Search page to the Profile Search page sounds good too me for the normal forum. If you ever need it to be seen more you could hack a link to be included elsewhere... but I think for the avarage forum that is the place where it should be. Oh, and it should also be at the "Who´s online" page.

Mateo Byler
CruceDeCaminos.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums63
Topics37,573
Posts293,925
Members13,849