Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#210226 04/19/2001 2:11 PM
A news story on COPPA violations had this which caught my eye:

...many sites encouraged children to lie about their age, such as by stressing to children ahead of time that they need to be at least 13, the report said. Some sites also allowed children to change their year of birth after an initial rejection...

I thought it might be of interest in case people were concerned about how W3T handles COPPA. See full story for details.

Bill Dimm, MagPortal.com - [:red]free feeds for your site.

Sponsored Links
Brandon Crystal #210227 04/19/2001 2:36 PM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
A quote from that article:

--------------------------------------------------------

Montgomery said several sites have found innovative ways to comply with the law. She praised Nickelodeon's Nick.com and Lego for allowing anonymous registrations.

--------------------------------------------------------

Is this not the same thing that w3t does?

w3t is the king of anonymity. Where does w3t ask for home address? Phone number?

Also........

Where does the US Constitution give the Congress and the FTC jurisdiction?

Just because Congress passes some draconian law does not make it Constitutional.

w3t has nothing to worry about with COPPA.

Brew
CustomShowCars.com
OldHouseForums.net
PoliticalForums.net

Brew
CustomShowCars.com
OldHouseForums.com
PoliticalForums.net
pcgnetworks.com
ut2003news.com
rtcwnews.com
bf1942news.com
nolf2news.com
Brandon Crystal #210228 04/19/2001 2:47 PM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
One more little bit on COPPA.

I remember when this "law" went into effect.

Everybody said it wasn't going to be a big deal. That the FTC would not treat internet sites with an authoritarian hammer.

To jog your memory........

http://www.newsbytes.com/pubNews/00/147672.html

Now.....

Is over $100,000.00 dollars fines for three webs sites draconian?

Of course it is....but it's a small enough fine that these people would be better off financially to pay it rather then stick by their principles and tell the FTC ....and Congress, BTW......where to stick their COPPA.

Anyway....w3t still has no worry about COPPA because, as released by Scream, it does not ask for identifying information on its users.

Brew
CustomShowCars.com
OldHouseForums.net
PoliticalForums.net

Brew
CustomShowCars.com
OldHouseForums.com
PoliticalForums.net
pcgnetworks.com
ut2003news.com
rtcwnews.com
bf1942news.com
nolf2news.com
djtech2k #210229 04/19/2001 8:56 PM
In reply to:

as released by Scream, it does not ask for identifying information on its users

If I click on the "Brewskie" link on your post in this forum I see that your name is Brian Ewing. What could be more identifying than that (a DNA sample)?

Here is a quote from FTC on COPPA:
[:blue]...sites will also have to obtain "verifiable parental consent" before collecting, using or disclosing personal information from children...
I don't see anything in that statement to indicate that it only applies to only non-optional information (which you seem to be assuming).

I'm not a lawyer, I haven't spent any time studying COPPA, and I'm not interested in debating the constitutionality (or even usefulness) of the "law". It is what it is and we have to deal with it. My point in displaying the quotation that I did in my original post is that when COPPA is turned on in W3T and someone tries to register without clicking "I'm over 13" they can click the back button on their browser and try again. The article seemed to imply that this is not good enough.

Brandon Crystal #210230 04/19/2001 10:29 PM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
So what are you gonna do BillD?

Incorporate a retina scan with w3t? Finger printing? Require a drivers liscence and tie-in with every DMV in the country? Or, more realistically, require a credit card to use it? That would leave me out.

There's only a certain amount one can do with these kinds of "feel good" laws. Having a check box is the best you can do, short of disenfranchising legitamate users such as myself who refuse to be bogged down with credit cards.

If a minor, under 13, checks that box he/she is commiting fraud.....I'd say that's pretty defensible on the part of the site owner.

Brew
CustomShowCars.com
OldHouseForums.net
PoliticalForums.net

Brew
CustomShowCars.com
OldHouseForums.com
PoliticalForums.net
pcgnetworks.com
ut2003news.com
rtcwnews.com
bf1942news.com
nolf2news.com
Sponsored Links
djtech2k #210231 04/20/2001 5:53 AM
In reply to:

Incorporate a retina scan with w3t? Finger printing? Require a drivers liscence and tie-in with every DMV in the country? Or, more realistically, require a credit card to use it? That would leave me out.

I raise the issue of a child being able to get in by clicking the back button on a browser and changing a check box and you reply with this? I don't see the relevance.

In reply to:

If a minor, under 13, checks that box he/she is commiting fraud.....I'd say that's pretty defensible on the part of the site owner.

According to the quote from my first post, that is apparently not defensible. That's why I brought it up.

In reply to:

So what are you gonna do BillD?

Well, when someone checks off "no" for whether or not they are at least 13 W3T could send a cookie to their computer saying "I'm under 13" (actually, it should probably be more subtle in case they have their browser set to allow them to view cookies before accepting them). Then if they try to change from "no" to "yes" and resubmit, the cookie could be detected and the submission rejected. The cookie should expire fairly quickly (say a few hours) in case multiple people use the same computer. Of course this won't work if they have cookies turned off but then neither will logging in.

Brandon Crystal #210232 04/20/2001 8:28 AM
Kahuna
Kahuna
[:blue]"Well, when someone checks off "no" for whether or not they are at least 13 W3T could send a cookie to their computer saying "I'm under 13" (actually, it should probably be more subtle in case they have their browser set to allow them to view cookies before accepting them). Then if they try to change from "no" to "yes" and resubmit, the cookie could be detected and the submission rejected. The cookie should expire fairly quickly (say a few hours) in case multiple people use the same computer. Of course this won't work if they have cookies turned off but then neither will logging in."

That would really be a waste of effort. I'd say it works fine as it is.

Muhammad Chishti
Creative dIRECTOR
[:white]http://www.imcuniverse.com

Muhammad
Brandon Crystal #210233 04/20/2001 4:02 PM
Master Hacker
Master Hacker
Don't run offensive stuff on your boards then you don't have to worry about this at all!

[]http://www.wopr.com/w3tuserpics/Eileen-sig.gif[/]

Chris Schreiber #210234 04/20/2001 4:13 PM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Define "offensive".........

LOL

Brew
CustomShowCars.com
OldHouseForums.net
PoliticalForums.net

Brew
CustomShowCars.com
OldHouseForums.com
PoliticalForums.net
pcgnetworks.com
ut2003news.com
rtcwnews.com
bf1942news.com
nolf2news.com
djtech2k #210235 04/20/2001 5:38 PM
Master Hacker
Master Hacker
Anything *I* don't like - of course! []/test2images/icons/wink.gif[/]

Sponsored Links
Chris Schreiber #210236 04/20/2001 8:30 PM
Eileen, odd as it may seem, that's not what COPPA is about at all. Quoting from the first paragraph of the statement from the FTC:
[:blue]The main goal of the COPPA and the rule is to protect the privacy of children using the Internet. Publication of the rule means that, as of April 21, 2000, certain commercial Web sites must obtain parental consent before collecting, using, or disclosing personal information from children under 13.
Nothing about what you are allowed to show the child--only what information you are allowed to collect from them. It's about privacy, not offensiveness.

Brandon Crystal #210237 04/21/2001 1:10 AM
Master Hacker
Master Hacker
Duh! Shows how much attention I've been paying to the whole sorry mess...

Chris Schreiber #210238 04/21/2001 2:21 AM
It is confusing!

COPA = Child Online Protection Act (aka. CDA-2) (S1482/HR3783)
COPPA = Child Online Privacy Protection Act (6750-01P FTC 16 CFR PART 312)

The first one is concerned with 'obscene' material, the second with the privacy of children... They really need to be more imaginative with their names! []/testimages/icons/wink.gif[/]

Yours,

[:red]Per Gøtterup
System Administrator, NetGroup A/S

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Nettomo
Nettomo
Germany, Bremen
Forum Statistics
Forums63