Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#210457 05/02/2001 10:26 PM
Guru
Guru
Would like to know of anyone that is running the beta version and how it is working for them so I know how long to run the beta for. So, if you are running 5.4b post a note if ya can.

On a side note, I'll be out of town Friday, Saturday and Sunday in Spokane, WA for the state bowling tournament. I'll have my laptop with me and I'll get on at least once a day to answer any questions or whatever. So, if I'm a bit slow over these 3 days to get to your question, this would be why[]/testimages/icons/wink.gif[/].

UBB.threads Developer
Sponsored Links
Power User
Power User
If you already got those bugs fixed that are mentioned in various posts (5.4b or earlier bugs) then i guess you can release 5.4 final.
So 5.4b is working fine so far :)

Edited by jriihi on 05/02/01 11:33 PM (server time).

Master Hacker
Master Hacker
Yes. Release it! []/testimages/icons/smile.gif[/]

[]http://www.wopr.com/w3tuserpics/Eileen-sig.gif[/]

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
To have the final release out would be nice!

Maze

MTO Offline
Addict
Addict
Hehe, I have been gone for a few days as well... now its your turn.
I would really want to see included in this version release the ability to set default age of boards on a per-board basis. Just as it has been talked about here and in some other threads. The lack of this feature is the reason I have not upgraded yet since 5.2 and am unsure I will do so to 5.4. In my personal opinion this should have been done in that quick 5.3 two day upgrade. So I am in no hurry for 5.4 being released unless this is done... thats my personal opinion, though. []/testimages/icons/tongue.gif[/] And everything seems to be working fine in this beta on this site, had no problems here.

Mateo Byler
CruceDeCaminos.com

Sponsored Links
D_Wolfwood #210462 05/03/2001 9:55 AM
What about this compromise: an option to display the last x threads if there are no posts according to the selected default aged threads?

tym #210463 05/03/2001 10:09 AM
MTO Offline
Addict
Addict
I think I suggested that in some other thread, but Scream seemed to be afraid that would slow it down as it would mean more queries. But yes, it would be a nice compromise.

Mateo Byler
CruceDeCaminos.com

D_Wolfwood #210464 05/03/2001 11:04 AM
I am obsessed too by the performance issues (high bandwidth in Europe is not cheap! []/testimages/icons/wink.gif[/] ), but the additional query will be done only if there are no results against the selected default aged threads. Am I missing something Scream?

Guru
Guru
Can't release just yet. Have a few users that seem to be having some cookie issues on their site so I need to get one of them to set it back up or put it somewhere so I can access it to try and track it down before declaring 5.4 stable.

UBB.threads Developer
Guru
Guru
The main reason I didn't do it in 5.3 is because I'm just trying to focus on certain areas when doing the upgrades. This whole thing is getting large enough now that it starts getting more and more complex to add new things.

Sorry it won't be in 5.4 because it's already beta and because of the reason above I don't want to add anything new to the mix. It used to be I could add a jumble of stuff to any part of the program and easily keep track of all the new additons, but not anymore[]/testimages/icons/wink.gif[/].

UBB.threads Developer
Sponsored Links
Master Hacker
Master Hacker
I'm cool with that.

I'm wondering what kind of respose there's been to the Control Panel. The more I work with it and the more I dislike it. Important things like handling PMs and editing the Profile that were all together now seem to require drilling down and extra cross navigation while 'fluff' is given pride of place in the main panel. I'm thinking of reverting mine back to put all the PM stuff behind one button up front, and all the Preferences stuff, including links to the fluff, behind another separate button.

Coder
Coder
I was actually plotting a hack for that yesterday, I really don't like it either. I want to consolidate all the message stuff (and call it something like post office or message center) and give it a button on the menu, with the preferences and reminder links and such all in another screen called "preferences" or "settings" or "home" or something similar. It won't be hard at all to change.

In addition, I want to print out the new PM stuff on the same page so the user doesn't have to click to another screen to write one up, as well as maybe the last 5 PMs on that page as well. I haven't done any experimenting yet so I'm not quite sure what would look the best. []/testimages/icons/crazy.gif[/]

[]/testimages/icons/smile.gif[/] 6 []/testimages/icons/frown.gif[/]
Screamers

Master Hacker
Master Hacker
Phew, I'm glad I'm not alone on this one. Keep me posted on how it goes because I'm still wading my way through converting all my hacks and it'll be a while before I can focus on that bit.

Guru
Guru
Think I have the cookie problem resolved. Just need to see if anyone has any problems with the changes made here. Basically I needed to move the controlpanel.pl script back into the w3t.pm module instead of being in a separate script.

UBB.threads Developer

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
AllenAyres
AllenAyres
Texas
Forum Statistics
Forums63