Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
We have are using an UBB that gets about 200,000
page views per day (15-20 million hits and about 100 Gig of bandwidth per month) and have just about tapped out our dedicated server. We expect to grow tremendously in the next few months. We can not afford another server so we have to switch to another board.

I have several questions I wondered if you could help me with.

How many concurrent users can the w3t handle? Our problem is we have periods of high usage. Everybody gets online at the same time. We do not know for sure but expect to get up to a couple thousand users online at once. On these peak hours we get about 10-12 new posts per minute. I understand that both the perl and php versions use MySql on the backend. I have read in many places that MySql freaks out when you get close to 200-300 concurrent. Have you found this to be fact? Also I have read that the w3t is setup to use Sybase, PostgreSQL and other backends. I am interested in how this works. What I wanted to do is install the Perl version (backed by MySql) and import my UBB and give it a run. If it did not do the trick I would try to switch to the php version (backed by MySql). If it still did not handle the traffic we would switch to a different database software. Is this process feasible? I am not an expert at programming. Our host takes care of the server stuff. Do you offer paid installations? Could you give me some insight on the correct path to follow? I seen that Mycoupons and Sony our using older versions of the w3t, are there any examples of sites handling this kind of traffic with the newer version of w3t?

I am not looking to change boards for the extra features. All I care about is being able to handle our traffic.

Edited by Boss on 05/22/01 01:08 PM (server time).

Sponsored Links
Guru
Guru
I always resort to one site for stats on high useage. Stratics.com is probably the busiest W3T site around at this point. They have an average of 400-500+ users online at the same time. To handle this type of load they are running 2 servers, one for mysql and one for the scripts and html, though I'm not sure of the server specs.

It's possible to do the import under the PERL version and then switch to the PHP version. The import script only works with mysql and perl so this would actually be the path you would take.

I don't do installs myself but there are several that do installs. You can look in the installers forum or in the resource center.

UBB.threads Developer
Aye Stratics also has very high peakusages and still handles very well after some tweaking, you best email Jhariden at [][email protected][/] if you have questions on the setups or send him a private note here (Jhariden).

User
User
Just out of curiousity, what website is this?

= Jim =

= Jim =
How many queries to MySql does the W3T board make per page?

Sponsored Links
User
User
No, I mean the website's address (e.g. www.yahoo.com)? I'd like to check it out. :-)

= Jim =

= Jim =

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
AllenAyres
AllenAyres
Texas
Forum Statistics
Forums63