Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Ok I need to make a final decision soon about which BB app I want to use. Basically I need to know I've picked the best the first time.
How does wwwT compare to all the other stand alone BB's?
Be honest and tell me why I should be using wwwT vs. the "others". Maybe someone in their spare time has put together a "side by side" spreadsheet.
I am concerned about the intall process.
Thanks,

Thanks,
Barrett
10yrs MacOS
9.2.1 10.1.2 (OS X)
Sponsored Links
Power User
Power User
Granted I've never used any other BB software (other than renegade []/testimages/icons/wink.gif[/]) I've found this software great. It was extremely easy to install (just visit the support pages @ http://www.wwwthreads.com).

As far as other boards, I've seen various since I've installed mine, and some are nice, some have nice features, but my overall impression is that this is the best choice. (Not to mention, the author seems to be really in touch with the customer base and is willing to listen to requests). When I first bought the software (with the one year upgrade contract) I figured I wouldn't purchase more than a year, but at this point, I'm planning on buying the upgrade for next year as well. FYI, I'm using Win2000 on a server with mainly asp pages. Good luck

Fastest.

I have tried many BBs out there: from php to perl and flat text to mySQL excluding vbulletin (which I think very good in design)

I decided to purchase W3T because
- it is so fast to load;
- use little CPU resources and Mem resources
- threaded style, which I believe to this day no BBs such as UBB, PHPboard, Iconboard, YaBB, Vbulletin, have treaded mode.
- the writer is listening to our needs.

good luck

...... x ......
Using UBBt 6.4.2 + Digg Ajax Mod, Trust Ajax Mod, Captcha Regristation & Login mod, Checkusername Ajax mode.
I used many BBs (vBulletin, UBB, IkonBoard, YaBB)
I choosed WWWThreads for many reasons :

1- It is the FASTEST Bulletin Board I ever seen

2- Programmed in 2 languages (Perl and PHP)

3- You can use one of THREE kinds of databases (MySQL, PgSQL and Oracle)

4- It has a powerfull Control-Panel , any User can change the style (you can chang posts per page, size of textareas, stylesheets and a lot of many things []/testimages/icons/smile.gif[/]) , and you can change profile and E-Mail subscription easily

5-It takes a little space of the database (not like vBulletin []/testimages/icons/smile.gif[/] it has TWO tables for posts and a BIG table for templates)

6- Easy to Install/Update

7- LARG Support libarry in the WWWThreads.com []/testimages/icons/wink.gif[/]

8- His programmer (Rick Baker) is Great,Expert and Friendly Programmer[]/testimages/icons/smile.gif[/]

9- You can always get Bug Fixes for all versions

10- Resource Center has a lot of hacks, tools,styles and images

11- Top Secruity: (Not like other BBs []/testimages/icons/wink.gif[/])

12- The source is very easy to read , so you can modify it easily, and it has a GOOD module(w3t.pm) to make your hacks easy to create

13- You can easily translate it to your language (Not like vBulletin , you must edit all templates)

14- Admin Section is easy to use

15- Moderators/Admins has special Control Panel

16- And a lot of great features

Believe me, WWWThreads is the BEST choice

Scream, Thank you too much for this Great discussion forum

Regards,
eDeveloper

Lurker
Lurker
I compared several other tools including hosted versions and freeware tools, and wwwthreads was the best call. It's cheap, reliable, actively developed (tons of great hacks are available), fast and easy to administer. I'm not sure I would recommend it to absolute newbies, since the install is not entirely pain free. But if you know a little bit about getting perl scripts running it's pretty simple. What I love is being able to tweak the source and customize it to my needs. I also love the e-mail alert features and the ability for users to subscribe to boards via e-mail updates. Really keeps your audience engaged.

Sponsored Links
I have been using Ikonboard for a couple of months, and it suddenly stopped accepting new posts. I've done their suggested fixes and installed the recommended update to no avail. Now I find that this is apparently a common problem with IB. Extremely frustrating after I've announced to the world that "the message board is up!" and people begin using it...so anyway I'm looking for a new one, and Ikonboard has many great features so now I'm spoiled.

This here board looks great. Is it stable? Any known bugs?

Do not know much about boards but the staff at my ISP have allways adviced me well and when I asked for a board recommendation they suggested wwwthreads... because it would run fast with mysql... and I have been pleased...
The cons for me: the instructions seem to be lacking and $200 seems a bit expensive
The pros: I do not know much but my wwwtheads is working fine, and when I ask something on this board... Mr "Head Honcho" is fast in giving a good answer...
That is very important in my opinion

User
User
I like w3t, I started using it this summer, unfortunately I have had som problems with too many users on my forum, it might be a problem with my mysql-setup. I am still working on solving the problem.

Before i used DCForum, not the latest version. It was pretty fast and the modified version I used hadled more users at the same time. It also has some features that you can't find here.
But it is only written in perl, and it uses flat-text-database and it is a pain to translate to another language.

If I can get w3t to work with many users and then put in some of the things I am missing from DCForum it would be unbeatable for me.

I hope to hear you reach a solution with that issue. Maybe the scream man will help you with that as that looks to be major engineering issue that needs to be verified.I plan on getting 3wt here pretty soon.

Thanks,
Barrett
10yrs MacOS
9.2.1 10.1.2 (OS X)
User
User
This is a tradeoff between goodies and speed.

WWWThreads runs dynamcially. Everything you see on the screen is retrieved from the database. This is where the bottleneck at. On the other hand, DCForum use flat base file, and all the files is in static HTML file. And that's the reason DCForum can substain higher load. But modification and addon to DCForum is a pain. Since WWWThreads run dynamically, it can give you real time "bell and whistles", this is something DCForum can not do. However, Since DCForum use static HTML page, its response time is no doubt a lot faster.

One thing WWWThreads can do is to cache the content to .html to speed up the process. But I guess this feature won't be available until Scream work on the template engine that support caching...

Scream, if you have time, you can take a look at this..

http://www.phpinsider.com/php/code/Smarty/docs/

------
Da PHP programmer
Sponsored Links

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
JAISP
JAISP
PA
Forum Statistics
Forums63