Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#211199 08/02/2001 1:33 PM
Anybody using C I Host? If so, describe account features and fees. Thanks, Barrett

Thanks,
Barrett
10yrs MacOS
9.2.1 10.1.2 (OS X)
Sponsored Links
Pheoni #211200 08/03/2001 7:21 PM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I'm currently using cihost. I got in on one of their "specials", which included, among tons of other things, 3000 megs HD space. The rate was $18 per month, when paid in full annually. I'm on one of their Shared Unix servers. The speed is generally very good. However, Tech Support needs some improving. But as I replied to the post above, I have never found any Tech Support that replied immediately or got it right the first time... []/testimages/icons/frown.gif[/] This seems to be universal, although I have heard of exceptions out there. All and all, I'm satisfied with the package I got and the general performance of the server.

Let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you. []/testimages/icons/smile.gif[/]

Jeff

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!
Pheoni #211201 08/04/2001 7:08 AM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I paid an installer to install w3t as at the time I didn't know squat about Telnet, Perl, etc. hehe But, I believe there was nothing special that had to be done or had from cihost, except the normal request to setup MySQL and any cronjob.

As to the "unlimited bandwidth", I think there is a disclaimer, but I can't remember what it is. I doubt that that the vast majority of clients would be affected, however.

I'm not surprised that you didn't hear back from them, if you contacted them in the last few days. They are presently dealing with the "CodeRed" worm and are stretched to the limit. My board won't even load the majority of the time now, although my home page loads fine. It might be a few more days before the Tech Department gets back to some semblance of normality. []/testimages/icons/wink.gif[/]

Feature-wise, I haven't come across any other provider that gives you as much "bang for the buck" as cihost. But as with all host providers, it comes down to what you need/want and what priorities you have set for yourself. Cihost's website isn't the easiest to navigate, but I think you will find that if you click enough links, you will find most of the information you are wanting to know about.

Jeff

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!
Tachyon #211202 08/05/2001 11:28 AM
Journeyman
Journeyman
We use CIHost and are satisfied considering we're talking about a shared server environment with 250 domains on a box. The Code Red situation seems to be under control as of this morning. We generally have decent speed....with some serious bogdowns at times though....and good Tech Support if you get a Level II or higher tech on the phone. They have all the features you could want and give you alot of room to run your own CGI scripts....or whatever you want to run.

You can't beat the price and goodies. We dropped by this past month and upgraded accounts from the old special of 1,000 Mb to the new special of 3,000....paid annually it's a great deal. The unlimited bandwidth is actually set at 20Gb a month and if you're running that much traffic in text pages like a forum pumps out, you need to move to a stronger server anyway!

I'd also recommend Future Quest if you're into experimenting with scripts and want great Tech Support. I've never known anyone who dropped them except to get a cheaper price somewhere else.

Lurker
Lurker
We have a dedicated server at CIHOST and have been pretty satisfied. We pay around 99 bucks a month. Our drive isnt very big I think we have about 9 gig but I have total access to the server and setup mysql and php on a win2k machine myself and ubbt runs great on it.

Sometimes their support isnt the best but usually nothing goes wrong so we dont need them.

Sponsored Links
Gossip #211204 02/20/2002 3:42 PM
Addict
Addict
Just going to throw my two cents in since it applies to me. I used CI host way back about 2 or so years ago for a while, it was one of their specials. Unfortunately my site flopped, didn't need it and gave up, but it was very good for what they offer.

Now, running two more sites each with a growing online community I started out small, with a 100 mb and 1gb bandwidth server... cost like 3 bucks a month. That held for about about a month or two. Then we grew.. had to upgrade. I got 250 megs and 5 gb transfer, for 9 dollars a month. Not bad... but at this time we grew incredibly fast and within a month I was already pumping out 4 gigs of bandwidth.

Well, that host (which will remain unnamed) made you prepay, but fortunate for me they had a 90-day money back garantee. So, I was refunded my money and moved both of my sites to CI host as I know about their service and have had great sucess for it in the past. I get 3 gigs of storage, telnet access, and "unlimited" bandwidth. Their servers are fast for the most part, the uptime is usually great, and as for technical service... I think you guys were emailing rather than doing the live chat.

They have a 24/7 live CS staff in a chat room you can talk to, and the few times I've had troubles I have been helped greatly in a fairly short time. Like when setting up one of my sites they somehow didn't have my login info for MySQL setup... I went in the chat, told them my problem, and they had my login made within 3 minutes, and my board was online in another 10.

They also have a 30-day waranty if you aren't happy, so that's always a plus.

Anyway, the thing that gets me is their "unlimited" bandwidth. Now I talked to them about it, they say you are unmonitored up until 20 gigs a month, after that you are monitored and MAY be billed. Well, let me show you the details on why they might bill you... it was found in my policy that was emailed to me and can also be found on their site:

In reply to:

Abuse of Unlimited Traffic

C I Host's customers are privileged to be offered unlimited traffic for their web sites. The intention of C I Host is to provide a large space to serve web documents, not an off site storage area for electronic files. All (90%) of your web pages (html) must be 'linked' with files (.GIF, .JPEG, etc.) stored on C I Host's server. Web sites that are found to contain either/or no html documents, a large number of unlinked files are subject to warning, suspension or cancellation at the discretion of C I Host management. Any customer who violates C I Host's Policies in abusing either space/site transfer will be notified and given 2 days to remedy the problem. If the problem is not resolved within the allotted period, the client will be billed for the overages.

To maintain the integrity of our shared hosting service the following limitations apply:

Sites with banners, graphics or cgi scripts running from their domain used on other domains. Sites with picture galleries (This is any site where 50% of the files transferred is graphics) Sites offering download files or archives. (This is any site where 50% or more of there monthly traffic is from file downloads). Sites using more than 30% of system resources for longer than 60 seconds. Sites running multimedia files (QuickTime, Real Audio, Real Video, MP3).

For those that do not qualify for the unlimited service, traffic will go unmonitored until you reach 20 GB per month. Thereafter, normal data transfer cost of $20.00/1GB/month will be billed to your account. If you want to pre-pay for bandwidth overages, you will be billed $10.00/1GB/month.

So... if I read this correctly, as long as you are hosting a valid content rich website, all (most) of your graphics are located within HTML documents, and you aren't hosting CGI or images to be used on sites pulling a bunch of traffic, and aren't consuming more th an 30% of the server's resources (which I think would be hard to do.. but I may be wrong) then you are entitled to their unlimited bandwidth.

I think what they are saying is once you hit 20gb, it sends off a flag. They then will check to see if you are hosting a ton of images and they are being used to be linked elsewhere, etc.. if so, they charge you. But if you are just pulling a lot of hits and you have mostly webpages/content, you are within the unlimited restriction and ok.

Now, granted all decisions are up to them, so they could obviously say your site is doing this or that and just try to bill you anyway, but I would think as it is written as long as the visits to your site/board are legit and you aren't storing a bunch of files for remote access, you're ok. That's just my opinion.

As for my site, I'm hoping I can get through most of the year on this plan, but we'll see. I've only been with CI for 2 weeks and looks like the site is on pace for about 12-15 gigs a month, 90% of which comes from the forums. Obviously if I start getting much over 20 I will probably need to upgrade to some sort of dedicated type server, but I'd really like to make it close to a year with my shared plan to get my money's worth []https://www.ubbdev.com/threads/php/images/icons/laugh.gif[/]

I'd recomend them 100% They aren't the cheapest around, but all their terms and conditions are clearly laid out, and I really do think you "get what you pay for" in web hosting. Take it for what its worth.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63