Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#211671 09/05/2001 4:53 PM
Journeyman
Journeyman
hello there,

I'm setting up a fresh version of w3t v5.4.3 php as I've just changed ISP's.

once we got the permissions set correctly everything has been working correctly and I've been setting up the board.

however, all of sudden now I can't post at all to any board.

very strange.

I did a post earlier in the day just to test it and it worked fine but now I can't at all.

I can't think of anything that really changed since I last posted.

I had setup W3T and created tables but then I reuploaded the scripts because I was having a problem with stylesheets not displaying correctly. everything worked fine after this and I didn't run createtable again. I was able to post to at least one board but then later in the day I was unable.

couple things I noticed:

the fonts on the top header have changed and the WWWthreads text is now much bigger.

I'm logged in as the administrator but but when I go in to edit groups it says I'm only a member of users so I checked administrators and tried to post again but still no luck. however this shouldn't affect my ability to post as a user.

here is the error message from w3t:

We cannot proceed.

"We encountered a problem. The reason reported was:

This is not necessarily an error. If you feel this is an error then it could be something as simple as your browser not being set to accept cookies. If you feel this error is a problem with the server then please contact [email protected] and let us know what exactly went wrong so it can be fixed as soon as possible. Otherwise, please use your back button to return to the previous page. "

I can't seem to get it to work and this will obviously make it hard to use the board tomorrow.

thank you for your help.

p.s. I went back and changed the servername in config.inc.php from my domain name, www.retailflorist.com, to the actual servername, "localhost," and tried to post again and then it gave me a more descriptive error:

"The host you are trying to send the input from is not a valid host."

what does this mean?

Sponsored Links
Guru
Guru
It sounds like somehow your permissions got out of whack. You can try running this command from the mysql prompt:

SELECT U_Groups FROM w3t_Users WHERE U_Username='yourusername';

As for the invalid host problem, $config['referer'] needs to be set to the domain the scripts are running on to make sure no outside forms are used to make posts.

UBB.threads Developer
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hi Rick,

I'm confused slightly by your answers.

1. you say:

"As for the invalid host problem, $config['referer'] needs to be set to the domain the scripts are running on to make sure no outside forms are used to make posts."

by this do you mean the 8th item down in the config.inc.php script,

"Name of the server the program is running on. If necessary seperate referers with a |?"

if so it always was http://www.retailflorist.com. is this correct?

I changed it to localhost and got a more descriptive error message at least because I just get a blank one when its set to www.retailflorist.com

2. what does your "the permissions out of whack" mysql command address, the posting problem or the fact that my username doesn't display as administrator? it shows as administrator on "who's logged in" but not when I go to edit groups. it is, however, letting me do all admin tasks.

by the way does the first user on a board automatically get assigned as the administrator? I didn't run createtable the second time I installed the scripts and I went right to newuser or register name without clicking from the createtable form.

pretty sure this doesn't make a difference but just want to be sure.

thanks,

Journeyman
Journeyman
hi there,

I think I'm getting somewhere in my troubleshooting.

tried to run the command you suggested and I got the following error:

Here are the results of your command: "SELECT U_Groups FROM w3t_Users WHERE U_Username='kurt'; ".
SQL ERROR: Unable to do_query: SELECT U_Groups FROM w3t_Users WHERE U_Username='kurt';
You have an error in your SQL syntax near '; ' at line 1: 1064
Warning: Supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /.4/virtuals/retailflorist/retailflorist/public_html/wwwthreads/mysql.inc.php on line 94

Warning: Supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /.4/virtuals/retailflorist/retailflorist/public_html/wwwthreads/mysql.inc.php on line 71

however I posted to a board as an anonymous user and I had no problem posting!
I guess being an administrator has its privileges!!

so it seems that its somehow linked to my username as the administrator.

I feel like the answer is very simple, if only I knew it!

Journeyman
Journeyman
Hi Rick,

I ran the select statement and my U-Groups came back as -3-1- for my username as the adminstrator.

is this correct?

what do I need to change so I can post?

thanks,

Sponsored Links
Guru
Guru
Well, your settings seem to be ok. 3 is the Users group and 1 is for Administrators. Your $config[referer] variable looks like it is ok as well.

When you go in and edit the board(s) in question what group(s) have read/write privileges?

It might help as well to get your group # listing so I can make sure these match up correctly. To do this you can use the following mysql command:

SELECT * FROM w3t_Groups

UBB.threads Developer
Journeyman
Journeyman
tried that command but all I get is a prompt without the mysql:

------>

nothing displays.

is this correct?

is there a reference somewhere so that one can decipher what all this behind the scenes stuff means, like -3- means users etc?

KC

Guru
Guru
If you are running this from the mysql command prompt then you will need to end this with a semicolon.

UBB.threads Developer

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Bill B
Bill B
Issaquah, WA
Forum Statistics
Forums63