Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hello all,

The recent announcements about the changes have me in a little bit of shock. In the midst of pondering the many topics this has brought up, I've found that my main concern (aside from the ominous licensing issues) centers around the differences in features between php and perl versions of wwwThreads.

Although there are probably many that I'm not thinking of, the primary features that I am missing in the php version are spell checking of posts and a php native version of subscriptions.pl

Will spell checking be added to the new versions of the (soon to be only) php coded software? And I would love to see subscriptions.pl ported to a native php version. After all, if you are going wholeheartedly php, why have any legacy perl code?

Just some thoughts.

Jim

Sponsored Links
To operate in a similar fashion as subscriptions.pl does, you'll have to either use php as a cgi binary (which is not very common) or fetch an url (via netcat, lynx... you name it) from cron which is not good looking either. I think perl is best suited for this job anyway.

Guru
Guru
I was pointed to some PHP functions that deal with spelling awhile back so I do plan on looking at this to see what it would involve. I really don't want to make one if it's going to be like the one that is in the current PERL version because that is very limited. The PHP functions look very promising however.

The reason the subscriptions files are in PERL is because they need to be run from the command line. Many users are not on a system that allows PHP to be run from the command line but I will probably offer port these functions over anyways. That way for those that do have the ability to do this they won't have to worry about setting up the PERL stuff for subscriptions to work.

UBB.threads Developer
Coder
Coder
Hrmm, did anyone ever get file attachments to work under php? I had several ask (more than a several actually) and I don't believe I've ever found the answer.

Guru
Guru
File attachments under PHP should be working ok as it is a native function of PHP. There were some problems in PHP3 but were resolved in 4.

UBB.threads Developer
Sponsored Links
Coder
Coder
Hrmm, perhaps it was php under win server. I can't remember... it's good news that they work.

I'll start taking a look at what's involved in converting all of my perl hacks over to the php side. On the bright side some things on my end will be a hell of a lot easier to maintain...

Poil? You awake? You're needed! []/testimages/icons/laugh.gif[/]

Journeyman
Journeyman
File attachment also work on Win32. I posted a fix in the bugs forum.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63