Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#212647 10/16/2001 5:32 PM
User
User
We run perl and will be sticking with it thank you very much, but I started looking around your sites and I have to admit if we were even remotely thinking of switching to php, here are a few concerns that jumped out at me pretty quickly above and beyond what's been mentioned so far and that I don't think anyone else has asked about yet.

- From everything I can see, you guys bring nothing to the table with regard to mysql, at least not in any of your existing products that I can see. All I see is flatfile ubb and oracle ot... maybe you can give everyone a rundown of any expertise you might have in that regard

- and this was a fun one that I've never understood... why can't ubb just show the results when doing a search instead of refreshing the page once for every forum it has to search... that'd be a lot of fun waiting for with 500 forums... banner networks must really hate the sites that run ubb, I'm pretty sure that type of refreshing would be considered a violation of most every banner network contract.

- and then this was the topper... I went to ubbdev.com and what am I greeted with - POPUPS... gee thanks (and I really don't care to hear it only happens once a day or whatever... it's a popup and I find that type of advertising especially offensive and will almost always find an alternative site to get what I needed).

just another $0.02 or $0.03 cents... feel free to address them.

Sponsored Links
yamzai #212648 10/16/2001 9:25 PM
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
The entire Infopop.com backend - from the purchasing pages to the support ticket system to the members area - is written in Perl and PHP, and uses MySQL to store the data.

OpenTopic uses MySQL to store trivial data (i.e. the stuff that Oracle would just be overkill for)

The rest of the development team, myself included, has dabbled in MySQL in the past in many projects. Our support staff is currently in the process of learning common errors and issues, so we can help Threads customers figure out what's going wrong.

We will not be providing direct support via the ticket system for MySQL (i.e. step people through configuring, troubleshooting, etc, MySQL directly), but we should be able to assist users in figuring out what MySQL is telling them to tell the sysadmins. :)

Refreshing... Ever loaded a 10 meg flat file into memory, split each line, and then searched through it? That's a lot of memory use and a lot of overhead.

Many hosting providers have automated scripts that kill processes that use more than their fair share of the available resources.

A UBB with a huge search index + reapers = disaster.

To keep this problem in check, the search index is broken up into smaller files. Each file is loaded in succession if you're doing a search of all forums. To keep memory use in check, we refresh between loading the files.

Now, I'm not going to dare and try to justify the search's memory use. It's bad... but it was much worse a while ago. We're working on it. ;)

Oh, and as for the refreshes and banner ads... you can specify a style template to be used on all transition pages, i.e. you can cut out the banner ads if your ad company is being silly about it.

Popups on UBBDev... Allen pays for that server out of his own pocket... how do you expect him to help get back the $$$? :)

Luckily, they're only on the main page, not on many of the subpages nor the forums themselves. There'd be a riot if that was the case....

More questions? :)

*edit* Syntax errors.

Last edited by Charles_Capps; 10/16/2001 9:28 PM.

UBB.classic: Love it or hate it, it was mine.
yamzai #212649 10/16/2001 9:29 PM
Guru
Guru
I'll throw this in as well. One thing that you brang up before that I never put in place was a forum that dealt with just mysql optimization issues. I'm not sure where this would actually go but I think that would be very beneficial to have. Where users can share tips on their mysql settings, what works best under certain configurations, etc. Again I don't know if this would go on the main community or in the hacking community but I think it will get in somewhere. Charles might have a better idea on where this could fit in....Charles?[]/testimages/icons/wink.gif[/]

UBB.threads Developer
Sally #212650 10/16/2001 9:30 PM
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Actually, today the support team went over the new install docs - the topic of MySQL optimizations came up... the hacking site will have a forum for discussing MySQL issues.

UBB.classic: Love it or hate it, it was mine.
Rick8765 #212651 10/16/2001 9:33 PM
Guru
Guru
That will work fine. Thanks[]/testimages/icons/smile.gif[/]

UBB.threads Developer
Sponsored Links

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63