Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#212660 10/16/2001 7:40 PM
Journeyman
Journeyman
I have been following this change closely over the last few days. I even upgraded to the latest version of the board in Perl and PHP on my site so I would be in line for future upgrades.

I saw the post about the new pricing. I must admit that since my site is personal and funded from out of pocket I would not be able to buy Threads under the new setting.

However all the commercial folks should be happy. If I remember right a commercial upgrade contract for one year was $50.00. I see that new license's will have to pay $125.00, but current users will get 75% off. So commercial upgrades will be cheaper than under the old system. It is all in perspective.

As long as Rick is able to develop this product like he is advertising, I think I can live with the other stuff.

Will we get Rick and Infopop or INFOFLOP, time will tell.

Dale

Sponsored Links
User
User
You have to admit that paying 50% of the original price of the software per year for the right to receive upgrades and bug fixes is expensive. One might even be tempted to wonder if such a strategy wouldn't encourage the owners to deliberately plant bugs as a matter of policy to force upgrades, reserving particularly nasty 'errors' for times when an analysis of their records shows a large amount of upgrade licenses expiring.

Although this is a consipiracy theory, conspiracies do exist...

Journeyman
Journeyman
I would agree that 50% of purchase price for upgrade is high, but I am a current user and only have to pay the $31.25. While I would not buy the product under the new setting I will continue to use it.

Dale

Coder
Coder
ankh,

that might be true of certain unnamed Operating Systems that charge you anew for each new version that comes out.... but not for Rick! The bugs that have surfaced in the past were either oversights, typos, or honest mistakes.

Since Rick will continue to be lead developer on this software, and all code will be run by him for QA & Testing (actually, we'll probably still do a lot of the beta testing, which I think is GREAT!), I don't see this ever happening with this product.

Matt

--------------------
Matt Reinfeldt
http://www.mattreinfeldt.com/

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Bill B
Bill B
Issaquah, WA
Forum Statistics
Forums63