Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
First, I am completly new at this sort of thing. I have only just begun trying to understand web design and UBBThreads.

With that in mind, how do you keep track of the changes made? There are a lot of modifications that I would like to make or add, but I am fearful of what happend when there is a new release.

Do you have to revert to a clean install to upgrade? Do these mods work with the upgrade? Like those insert images over there <== when making a new post. I just tried to stick one in and it tells me a runtime error has occured. Guess I'll just stick to the old fashion way. []/forum/images/icons/smile.gif[/]

But seriously, any ideas or methods for maintaining a track of changes made would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Good questions, and welcome []/forum/images/icons/smile.gif[/]

For smaller updates, I use www.scootersoftware.com to add any changes that might need to be done (such as going from 5.5 to 5.5.1).

For the upcoming v6 release, with so many changes, it's best to start over, since most all modifications aren't gonna be compatible without at least some changes being made.

As long as you keep backups, it's all good []/forum/images/icons/wink.gif[/] If possible, set one up on your local computer to test things before uploading to your live site.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I'm pretty new to this too, but am now running a mega-hacked site. []/forum/images/icons/tongue.gif[/]
I quickly saw that it would be important to know what hack had modified what, so I kept a simple list of each hack I installed, and what files were modified.
When I had to upgrade from 5.5 to 5.5.1, I looked at the changed files log, and then looked at my list. I replaced only the needed files, then went back to hacks and added the few back in to the files that were affected.
Saved me from starting everything over.

However, with 6, I think it'll be best to start from scratch and add back slowly. I'm gonna test 6 on another server and give it some time to get all bugs worked out and new hacks worked in. []/forum/images/icons/smile.gif[/]

I was looking at you site today. It appears you'r just up the road from me.

Thanks for the information. I have the newest version installed now with no hacks. But there are many that I would like. Just wanted to make sure that I was not digging myself into a hige hole. It's nice to know that other novices can at least attempt it.

I guess as long as I maintain a backup of the databases I should be OK. The first install was a breeze, compared to that awful, not even the latest release, wrong instructions, demo version. []/forum/images/icons/smile.gif[/] I finally just gave up on it and bought UBBThreads. After that life was simple.

I'll just keep reading here, pick apart the files and see how thing work. Any ideas on how long before 6 is out? I may just wait for it to even try any mods if it is any time soon.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Yes the demo install was awful. The main version was much easier. Wonder how many didn't buy cause they had trouble with the demo?

They didn't get any more novice than me. I'm surprised they didn't ban my IP address here...cause I asked so many questions. []/forum/images/icons/tongue.gif[/]

But backup the database. That's important. And before I hack anything...make a copy of that file... even if you've hacked it already. That way if the most recent hack doesn't work you can go back one step rather than all the way to the begining.

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Good points Josh []/forum/images/icons/smile.gif[/]

V6 should be out in private/public beta in the next week or so... how soon it goes final depends on how severe we test it in the meantime []/forum/images/icons/smile.gif[/] It's a major re-write, with quite a few changes, so beta time might be a little extended...

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I do as most have suggested here. I keep a local copy of all the files on my hard drive at home that mirrors what's on my server. Any time there is a minor update, I extract the files to a separate directory and then use scootersoftware.com to do a line-by-line comparrison between the new version and my "hacked" version.

I actually have two boards on my server. One is a test board that has all of my hacks, two categories, and three boards which I use to "beta" test any hack before rolling it out to my production site. I've learned the hard way that you don't throw something into production that you haven't tested. It makes for bad business. []/forum/images/icons/wink.gif[/]

I too will be installing v6.0 on my test board and beating the *snot* out of it to find any problems. Once the final version is released, I'll add all of my various hacks back in, modifying those that need to be modifed as necessary.

I also keep a directory on my hard drive that contains the install instructions (some original, some I've cleaned up) for any hacks I've installed. That way if I have to do a clean install I can quickly refer back to the instructions to re-implement any hacks. That's what I'll end up using for v6.0.

At any rate, welcome to the wonderful world of "tweaking". I swear we all need to start a "Tweakers Anonymous" group. []/forum/images/icons/laugh.gif[/]

It sure is a welcome sight to see such, ummm.....what can I say, excitement, happiness, willingness to help. I guess all those would describe what I see here. []/forum/images/icons/cool.gif[/]

It makes stepping on into the unknown a lot more pleasurable, knowing that just a link away there is actually a place where you can find intelligent converstaion and answers.

You say that you have 2 copies running on your server so let me pose a question here. I run off of a hosted unix site, can I assume that I would be safe to install ubbthreads as a standard installation for public viewing/use and another under say /domain/ubbthreadstest for my use to hack and play with.

If that is the case them I am pretty safe in screwing thing up without hurting the real site. I would really like to set up a server at home, []/forum/images/icons/smile.gif[/] but the linux/unix/php/apache stuff blows my mind right now. Plus, the wife would probably kill me if I asked for another computer.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
In reply to:

I swear we all need to start a "Tweakers Anonymous" group.

I'll have to join this for sure. I almost needed professional help when ThreadsDev was down. Thankfully I had JustDave's email address and obtained a few hacks to play with while the site was down from him. lol

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
In reply to:

If that is the case them I am pretty safe in screwing thing up without hurting the real site. I would really like to set up a server at home, but the linux/unix/php/apache stuff blows my mind right now. Plus, the wife would probably kill me if I asked for another computer.

You can set it up on a windows computer as long as it has IIS installed. I have win2k with IIS installed and I run a local test copy.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Sponsored Links
In reply to:

You can set it up on a windows computer as long as it has IIS installed. I have win2k with IIS installed and I run a local test copy.

Because of the games I play, I have become stuck on 98 2nd edition as my STABLE enviorment. But in digging around in my heap pile I came acorss an old 10gig harddrive and NT 4.0. Is it possible that IIs will run on NT4. If so then I just have to install that on the second drive and dual boot.

If not, then I guess it's time to upgrade to either 2000 or XP. []/forum/images/icons/smile.gif[/] Wonder which of the 2 would be best?

For the love of mercy, go with windows 2000.

Not only are there security holes you can fly a starship through in XP, it's also a sizeable performance hit. In return, you get more microsoft bloatware™, a prettier interface, and more hand-holding.

Win2k is my OS of choice. Solid, secure, stable and less unnecessary BS.

I was hoping to get by without having to SPEND money, but alas it seem that in todays time that is not possible.

I splurged today and purchased a copy of 2000 Professional. I get to install it tonight and see just how stable it is.

*runs off and begins to blow his computer up again*

Thank goodness there is a Ghost!

Actually I have found XP infinetly more stable than any other previous Win-X system Ive run...

Security is fun, but nothing you cant handle as long as you have a little knowledge in the area.

But then again Im running a maxed out computer here, and thats what XP was made for .. so *shrug*

-B

I have an unarchived copy of the version I am running, plus a directory called changed files that has any copies of files that were changed. And I have a temp backuip directory for any files I play with after they have changed from another hack before I toss a new hack in. Then I keep a directory with all the text instructions for hacks, but once I implement them, the files name goes from .txt to .txt.done. And yes, I use Beyond Compare religiously. Ohh, and the modified files always have a // COMMENT when any changes are made. And yes, I even attempt a Beyond Compare for the big updates. If that doesn't work, I can always install it from scratch and add all the hacks in again one by one.

Silly ricer.. Wings are for airplanes!
Ok, so I went and installed a new 60g hd., got a copy of Windows Professional 2000. Installed, updated, patched, etc,....etc.,........... []/forum/images/icons/shocked.gif[/] many hours later I now sit here at a new install reading about IIs.

So some time here in the wee hours of this morning I'll figure out what I am doing. But so far it all looks pretty good.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63