Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#216818 05/19/2002 11:27 PM
Is there anyone else that likes the old way (pre v6) that titles and signatures worked? The forum I run doesn't use the standard titles but instead use titles to reference something about the person involved or an event, and people enjoy seeing them change over time, and going back to see what witticisms have been doled out in the past. Peoples signatures also change as they grow and change, some old the old ones I run across when looking at old messages will make me stop and laugh.

I don't know, I really do see some of the benefits of the new system, but I hate to lose that history.

Lee

Sponsored Links
MTO Offline
Addict
Addict
Im lost, what has changed? What is it doing now if not that?

It displays your current signature, and current title also I believe I saw too right?

Slam

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Ohhhh, I didn't understand what "problem" you were talking about in the first post , but I think I understand now! Are you referring to this -- if you looked up a person's post from, say, 3 months ago, it showed the user title and the sig line they used when they posted, because user titles and sig lines were stored with the post itself, and not separately.

Now, they are "dynamic", and therefore if I change my sig line today, when you pull up that old post, it now has the new sig line and not the one I was using when I posted that old post. I believe this also applies to user titles and user pics.

You obviously liked it better the old way, being able to look back and see what people's custom titles were, and what their sig lines were?

I'm afraid I have absolutely no clue whether you can change that, and I haven't seen an option to change that.

[:"red"]Lisa[/]
Addict
Addict
I prefer the new way, although I can see that in some cases the old way would be preferable.

Sponsored Links
Yes, that's exactly what I was attempting to convey

The boards I run are close knit, the bulk of which is really meant for a relatively small group (around 65 active not including vistors) that have spent considerable amounts of online time together (way to much really ). It's a family-like setting in some ways and alot of ribbing, joking, and praise go on, including bestowing "titles" and little quips or topical mesages delivered in signatures. All of that forms a piece of "history" if you will. For my case it's ideal, but I understand why it may not be so for others (and of course it's more space effficient this way).

Lee

Kahuna
Kahuna
I completely agree... like the old way better. smirk

Muhammad
That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
One of the things I hate about storing information such as signatures or even when the [ image ] markup is used is that the files they link to don't always exist after a period of time and the page is left with blank squares when the browser tries to load the graphics.

I like the dynamic route.. always current.

MTO Offline
Addict
Addict
Yes, I agree with the dynamic route being the best. Sure it has some dissadvantages, but I think its the best.

Just take a recent experience I had with this thing of it not always being current (broken pics are not the worst) :

One of my users was using an outside picture he grabbed from another website. This then, was in all his posts, and always will be as it is not dynamic. A month ago the website who owned the picture password protected the folder where the pic was. The result? Users would be prompted for a username and password in every page the user had posted. I made him change the picture, but even weeks later, with those threads left back as old, I get some users asking me why some pages prompt for password.

Dynamic! Dynamic!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Zarzal
Zarzal
Berlin, Germany
Forum Statistics
Forums63