Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#218782 06/13/2002 3:13 PM
Hi.

My website is starting to out-grow my current host's limits on my shared hosting plan. I'm paying about $25/mo. for 300MB of space and 15GB of bandwidth, but I've only got a few MB left, and sometimes run up 14GB at the end of the month, (not to mention they place a limit on the number of files I can have ) so I've been looking at my options. So far, the best plan I've seen is ColossalHost.com which has a plan which provides 2000MB of space and 50GB bandwidth for about $20/mo. The only catch is they don't take UBB.classic, which I'm running. So I would have to convert to UBB.threads (which is why I'm here). I suspect I may run into this problem at other hosts too (because of CPU issues with classic). From what I've seen .threads looks good, some very nice new features and lots of hacks already done, but doesn't seem quite as matured as my very hacked .classic (although the search in .threads is to-die-for compared to .classic). I would probably have a lot of work to get it hacked as needed, since I've integrated the classic code into other parts of my website like my Image Database.

I haven't really decided what to do. I've added many hacks and custom tweaks and fixed bugs in the original .classic code, so it's going to be hard to change (plus I'll have to start learning PHP), but if hosts don't allow flatfile forum software, I don't have as many choices.

Also I've got to keep the monthly price under $25.

• Anybody familiar with ColossalHost.com?
  • Anybody know the savings in diskspace and bandwidth for .threads compared to same board on .classic?
  • Anybody have any suggestions on hosts with 'more for less $$$' that might take my .classic?
  • Anybody know when 6.1 .threads is coming out and what features it might add?

Here's my old 5.45c if you want to see...

the board

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Welcome Thermit, I remember you from .classic

You can always check with infopop's hosting, you can be sure they won't run you off

v6.0.1 of threads should be out in the next day or so with lots of bugfixes, there really hasn't been any concrete announcements on 6.1 yet, tho I am sure Rick is in the planning stages...

I am not familiar with the host you asked about, you do gotta remember tho that those offering a lot for little usually are stacking their servers with lots of accounts and they aren't gonna like you bringing more load to the table

is the database size considered part of the disk amount offered?

bandwidth should be considerably less if php compression is turned on.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Thanks Allen.

I did check on InfoPop hosting but it is a bit too rich for me.

Yeah the space allocation is file space + database space. That seems fair. My current host only allows 10MB of MySql before you have to talk to sales about a custom plan. Yikes.

Addict
Addict
You may want to consider CIhost (what I use for all my sites) and I am getting 3 gigs of storage and "unlimited" bandwidth for 20 a month, and they allow basically anything on their servers except IRC servers. I've used them for years and they have great customer support and I can get help almost instantly if I have a problem.

By unlimited bandwidth, if you read the TOS, it is 20gig/month, and after that they monitor your site. If such a % of bandwidth is due to pictures (ie. people linking pictures to use on other sites) they see that as unacceptable and you have to pay their prices for overages. But if it is just regular website traffic, or the pictures that are using bandwidth have links within your HTML, you are safe.

Basically its unlimited unless you are hosting programs to download, photo galleries, etc etc. I've never went over 20 yet so I can't attest how that stacks up, but they are really good to me

[]C I Host's customers are privileged to be offered unlimited traffic for their web sites. The intention of C I Host is to provide a large space to serve web documents, not an off site storage area for electronic files. All (90%) of your web pages (html) must be 'linked' with files (.GIF, .JPEG, etc.) stored on C I Host's server. Web sites that are found to contain either/or no html documents, a large number of unlinked files are subject to warning, suspension or cancellation at the discretion of C I Host management. Any customer who violates C I Host's Policies in abusing either space/site transfer will be notified and given 2 days to remedy the problem. If the problem is not resolved within the allotted period, the client will be billed for the overages.

Last edited by msula; 06/13/2002 4:08 PM.
msula, thanks for the input.

A question though. I'm looking at their UNIX shared hosting page and the only plan I see for $20 or under is their "Starter" plan which only gives 200MB.

http://www.cihost.com/?zone=products/shared_unix_hosting

What am I missing? How do you get the 3 gigs?

Sponsored Links
Addict
Addict
ahh.. you need to get their "specials"

http://www.cihost.com/?zone=products/shared_unix_hosting_specials

that should be what you're looking for.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/

Do a searh here b4 you decide on a host.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
hatter
hatter
USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63