Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Code Monkey
Code Monkey
I was curious to know who the hosting provider is for this site and what kind of package you have. I need to relocate my website and this info could be helpful. Thanks

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
They will correct me if I'm wrong... but I think they are using the infopop webhosting (very UBB friendly)...... http://www.infopop.com/webhosting/

Code Monkey
Code Monkey
Duh! I should have thought of that! I kind of find Infopop webhosting to be a tad expensive. I know that's because you get UBB.x free, but it would be nice if they had packages that didn't have it for less for us UBBThreads users because I wouldn't want to pay a premium for a service I don't use Thanks for the response!

Addict
Addict
nserver: elvis.infopop.com
nserver: ns2.infopop.net

heh, elvis

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Elvis has left the building!

Sponsored Links
Veteran
Veteran
Elvis is leaving the building but he has not left yet.

I named him Elvis because one of my favorite songs is Elvis is Everywhere by Mojo Nixon. I also have a router named Elvis on the network I do development work on. (hint, if you read my posts on the community forums you can find him) Our IT team did put the brakes on when I insisted that our core switch for web hosting be named Elvis too. They also will not let me name our web hosting servers Elvis1, Elvis 2..... Bummer

The Elvis you see as our name server will soon be gone and an new server in his place. One with a blah name, infp1. I'm going to alias elvis.infopop.com to it though. There are other Elvises (Elvii?) around at work too. Remember... Elvis is EVERYWHERE.

Funniest part of it is that I really don't care for Elvis Presley's music at all but a lot of people think I do.

Picture perfect penmanship here.
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
After assisting numerous people and their websites over the years, I have found that 99.9% of the time you get what you pay for... IP's webhosting might be $2-3 more per month than other decent hosts, but the peace-of-mind that comes with hosting with someone who actually knows what they're doing and makes sure the server will handle your site is pretty awesome. If your website is your livelihood or something very dear to you, a few extra dollars is more than worth the sleep you can get at night knowing it will still be there in the AM

example:
I am assisting a large forum currently. The people who run it make a good living from their site, it is their livelihood. One day in May, the eejits who were hosting it said that they would be moving the site to a new server, to make a backup of the forums because they wouldn't be responsible if anything happened. Thing is, the forums had >250k posts and 11k members. Would take ~14 hours to download (was flat file). The hosts shut off any form of telnet and ssh. I made a backup of ~99% of the forum before the hosts shut off ftp and "moved" the site to the new server.
They only moved maybe 3% of the forums, period.
We found out the "web hosts" were reselling accounts for others and had moved to a complete new host themselves... there was no access to the old files. To make matters worse, there was no access to telnet or ssh on the new server either (security reasons ). It would take me >24 hours to upload >300,000 files for the forums...

I advised them to move to either IP's web hosting or another one that had been getting great reviews. The other one was a few dollars less, so they chose them. 5 weeks later they are still trying to get their forums working on the second server with this current host. They were on the first server 4 weeks and never could get a proper configuration on the server, after switching from ubb to threads, forum pages were still taking 15-30 seconds to render with only one person online on a dedicated server.

Finally moved to the new server a few days ago, better hardware/software... we are crossing our fingers as they open the site tonight after beging closed since May 16th.

Not everyone's story is like that... but to me, if my living depended on my site, or if it just meant a lot to me, I'd think long and hard about whether or not saving 20-25 cents per day is worth it.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Addict
Addict
I can relate to "you get what you pay for" as over the years I have probably had about 5 different webhosts. I'm finally done messing around and I am back with the original host I ever tried years ago. CI Host (I know some people don't like them, but they have been excellent to me)

Anyway, when my sites were just starting out and didn't require much in regards to space/bandwidth I would find one of those cheaper hosts, like 5-10 bucks a month. Not bad, but sometimes the server would be extremely slow, FTP wouldn't work, or countless other just annoying problems.

One of these stupid hosts decided to merge with another company, jack their prices up, my site was down for a week, no customer support, just a royal PITA! Yeah, how is that 6.99/month looking now? arghhh I was kicking myself. Not to mention the hosts who change their plans after you sign up. Seriously when I signed up I was getting 5 gigs/mo and 100 mb storage. One week later they offer 7gigs/mo and 300 mb. I call up and talk to the guy, he refuses to upgrade my plan saying I get what I signed up for. Crock of $#)(%. Needless to say in that same conversation I cancled my account with them

Anyway, just illustrating the point, the few extra bucks IMO is very worth it. If the difference is between say 20/mo and 23/mo between hosts, seriously look at what the more expensive one will give you because when you add it up it isn't a great deal of money, especially if it saves you downtime and various headaches down the line. I've learned my lesson over the years, the hard way. But I'm in the process of starting my own webhosting company, so soon I won't have to worry about that problem, lol.

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
[]
I named him Elvis because one of my favorite songs is Elvis is Everywhere by Mojo Nixon.

That song kicks butt! LoL have it on CD. Actually I think all of the songs on that CD are great. LoL

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
We quickly outgrew our shared hosting at globalhosting's evil step child adultnethosting.com.

We decieded on RackSpace.com for a dedicated server. Many members squaked and said "here's this hosting for $9.95/mo" (when we were looking at $199/mo.) and of course, you get what you pay for.

I can't speak for infopop's hosting. I have no experience. But Rackspace 24x7x365 phone/email/web tech support is wonderful. Many places advertise that they have 24 hour support, but it's through a web form. Here I dial and 800 number, and a real live person answers.

Any trouble ticket I've ever had to open has been my fault (misconfiguring something or not knowing how to do something). And the longest a ticket has been open is 20 minutes and it's resolved.

I'm on my site ALL the time, and the old host was always up and down. With RackSpace we've had 20-25 minutes of scheduled maintenance. That's it.

If you've got a mega-bandwidth hogging site, you might wish to check them out.

Sponsored Links

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Zarzal
Zarzal
Berlin, Germany
Forum Statistics
Forums63