Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#221280 07/16/2002 7:52 PM
Greetings,

I help maintain a UBB forum. Currently, a group of members have expressed an interest in making a private forum. Furthermore, they want this private forum hidden from the main directory, drop down menu, and any other indicators that could point out the location of the forum.

The problem is, I do not know how to make a forum that only certain people can see. I tried turning the forum 'off' and accessing it via a bookmark, but we could not post.

Do you have any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
welcome

You can edit forum access permissions in the control panel. Give everyone but the group you want to have access "no access", give the group that needs access "read and write" access.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Lurker
Lurker
Hi

I'm new here too and work with Sean here.

What he (and we) mean, is can we make the forum invisible to all users, whereas it is still accessible by direct URL linking, but so it still let's you post within that hidden forum.

We currently have the forum set with privacy controls, but what we want to do is make it invisible yet still postable.

Is there a way to do this?

Oh, I can do that!

The problem is that I do not want the link to the secret forum visible in the main directory or drop down menu. I want to make a forum and hide it from those who are not authorised to see it.

We have made a "secret passage" link to this forum. The problem is, as I said, we do not know how to remove the forum link and description from public view.

Thanks for your input, too! And thanks for helping me explain, WarVoid!

Last edited by Sean; 07/16/2002 8:16 PM.
#221284 07/16/2002 8:17 PM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
If you have a set group of people that need access, make a new user group in your control panel and add those people to it. In the "edit forum settings" link, give access to that forum to only that group.

We did something similar here with a forum that only guests can see... log out and check it out I even have it turned off to admins so I don't have to trip over it when visiting while logged in

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Sponsored Links
Thank you once again. However, I see no way to make a new user group. We are using version 6.04.

Perhaps, Allen, this will makes things easier:

This is the link to our forum's directory:
http://www.tb3.org.uk/cgi-bin/forum/ultimatebb.cgi

At the bottom is the Cigars and Wine Club. That is the forum we want to hide. We want it removed from the main listing and drop down menus. Perhaps this can help you since you have a visual aid.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Yes, I would say that link makes a huge difference

You are using ubb.classic, we're supporting ubb.threads here, hence the confusion In ubb.classic, you can turn the forum off, and should still be able to post to it, I used to do that on another site.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Ah, that does explain the confusion!

I have turned the forum off, but we cannot post when it is turned off. This is the message we get : "This forum is now inactive. You may not post to this forum."

Addict
Addict
For help with UBB.classic, I'd suggest asking at UBB Developers or Infopop Community Forums

Sponsored Links

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
AllenAyres
AllenAyres
Texas
Forum Statistics
Forums63