Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#221479 07/21/2002 10:16 AM
Power User
Power User
I'm doing some serious learning and hacking as I tidy up of Daves incredible integrated index page 'pals', now running at www.UtterAccess.com completely XHTML validated. I'm puzzled though - what's the real point of building templates? Is this template design structure I see in Threads and other PHP open source stuff done for speed or efficiency or?

Puzzled Gord

Sponsored Links
Addict
Addict
I believe the only reason is to separate the "display stuff" from the "other stuff". This makes customizing the user interface easier and safer.

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
Nice site ghubbell very clean and sharp.

Yes the reason for templates is to allow for customization of the display without having to worry about the back end. I'm reworking IIP 5.0 to use templates with a control panel setup. The text has already been moved to a seperate language file specificly for the pals. I have most all of the code moved to a main include file, sort of like how .threads is set up.

Your IIP loaded fairly fast, it seemed, considering you have over 95,000 posts. What are your load times according to the debug info? Just currious. Did the removal of the pal boxes that are not being used help speed things up?

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Yes, very nice work

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Power User
Power User
Thanks Dave. Yes it's taking around 4.6 seconds, I am sure it can be improved further if I can get Scott (SCybak) to tweek the tables indexes. We ran all the tests at another site on Bravidio, which I know is a different server. The UA server always out performs the test site - shared, but less shares I guess! I can't say 100% that the addition or removal of other pals has made that much of a difference, as before this was installed, we decided outright to use it as you see it. Between myself and the site admins and moderators, we found the star rating system did not go over well with the users, and have removed it for user ratings, and will probably modify the way it is used in thread ratings - so this meant all the 'rating' pals were not required although I do still have them XHTML'd.

Something you might notice too is the addition of the welcome message. This is another 'pal', being extracted from a board which no one other than Admins have permission to see when 'in' the threads package. This adds a query but allows me to keep the ever changing welcome message as posts (top 1 returned). I could just keep editing 1 post, but this way I can look back on the history of the site whenever I choose.

I'm still in debate about the template idea as being advantageous or not as many of the Threads templates seem as entangled with code as the code is entangled with HTML! Plus I have on-line editing thru the Bravidio Control Panel. I have also noticed that modifying a template thru Threads Admin can generate XHTML errors unless you're careful with some of those special characters: When the template comes up in the Threads editor it is not 100% the truth!

Ah, so much fun!

Thanks again Dave.

Gord

Sponsored Links

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63