Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I'm trying to set up a red hat 7.3 box as a web server, and am running into problems finding out basic information. Red hat's site is not all that helpfull for the questions I have.

Right now I am trying to get apache 2.0 to run as a daemon, which I think inetd will do at startup, but how? I can't find where inetd is even running or installed on my system. Also I need to get ftpd up and configured after apache. These are the types of questions I got. I installed the system as a workstation, and need to manually add lots of these packages. I know it's the hard way, but I'll learn more this way

Sponsored Links
Veteran
Veteran
ok, first... there is no inted on 7.3, they use xinet.d now.

Second, Are you REALLLLY sure you want to run Apache under xinet.d insead of standalone?

Third, ( wow, I gotta lot of answers today, eh? ) when you compiled Apache, be it 1.3.26 or 2.whatever it should have made a script called apachectl. It'll be in your apache bin dir. Make a symlink to it from your /etc/init.d directory named httpd. Then in rc3.d or rc5.d make a symlink to it named S85httpd.

Fourth , if you install Wu-ftp I'm answering no more questions

Go to www.proftpd.org and download and install that. proftpd you DO want to run from xinetd and NOT standalone. Forget the documentation on the website, it sucks and it's out of date. Read the README and INSTALL files that come in the tar.gz.

Fifth, get familiar with the linux documentation project, linuxdoc.org. http://www.linuxquestions.org/ is a decent one. linuxnewbie.org used to be the very best while Sensei was running it. They suck now but I see someone is trying to resurrect it. Keep your eye on it.

Picture perfect penmanship here.
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Ahh, well now I know why I was having probs finding inetd on my system, lol. Guess I need a newer linux book! I got apache 2.0 compiled and running, but it's not starting up the proper way yet. I was just wanting to set it up as a service so it runs automatically everytime the machine is started. I'll go check out that ftp software as I have not installed any ftp server yet. Thanks for the leads on the linux help sites

Veteran
Veteran
If you put in those two symlinks I mentioned it will start when the machine starts. rc3.d if you're running without xwindows, rc5.d if you are running with.

Picture perfect penmanship here.
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I'm still trying to get php 4.2.2 to work with apache 2.0.39

It seems like it does not want to cooperate, guess I'll use an older version of apache.

Sponsored Links

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
AllenAyres
AllenAyres
Texas
Forum Statistics
Forums63