Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
How about a PHP poker table or blackjack table that is incorporated with the forums?

You would get so many 'credits' per post and be able to play against other visitors to the forum. Maybe invite them into the game if they are online. Of course a chat would be nice, but not really necessary.

The forums already tracks total posts, so the initial credits would be easy. The modified credits would be a little harder unless you change the string to a different one for each person.

Yes, I used to be an old SysOp for a local BBS around 10 years ago.

Silly ricer.. Wings are for airplanes!
Sponsored Links
Addict
Addict
I would guess that there are a lot of poker scripts on the net, so it would probably only need to be an integration of a script.

I do like the idea of having some BBS-like extra fun, I ran a BBS too a long time ago. Don't know if I'd use a poker script, but some other small scripts would definitely be fun.

I don't quite get what you mean by the modified credits needing a different string for each person? Wouldn't it be possible to just add another field to w3t_Users called U_Credit or something, which would be used in the poker game and shown on the profile. It could even use one of the extras.

I've been thinking of adding a credit system which is based on more things than just the number of posts. Number of logins, having filled out the profile, voting in polls etc, would all give credits. It should also be possible to add extra points for people that have sponsored the site and stuff like that.
A lot of people were crazy about the credits on the bbs:es I visited (and my own) and the post count surely is important for a lot of people on my current board. So it would probably be a good way to increase activity, even though I don't really understand why the "credit hunt" is so important.

[]I don't quite get what you mean by the modified credits needing a different string for each person? Wouldn't it be possible to just add another field to w3t_Users called U_Credit or something, which would be used in the poker game and shown on the profile. It could even use one of the extras.

ok. User has 100 posts, therefore they have 100 credits(for simplicity). The next time they post, how does that post toss the new credit on top of the now credits without adding the 100 again. I am making this more complicated than it needsto be, I know.

excelsiorcode ahead--
login to game

if user=new
then $U_credits = $posts

else $U_credits = $U_credits + $posts - $lastvisit_posts

just thinking.

Poker seems like a good start for me. Then you could work into those old style BBS games of chance. Luck of the draw. lotto, etc.

I could see credit hungry members compete or try those games of chance just to get to the top.

Addict
Addict
If you want the credit to be raised with each new post it would be easy to add some code on the addpost page to update the credits field as well.

How would the poker game work? Would you play against the computer, or against other visitors in real time?

Some of the simpler games of chance would be quite easy to do.

Maybe this would need a small API, where each game can call a function to read the credits and set them, so they all use the same credits. Hmm. But what happens if the credits gets updated by other games while they are playing something else (if they are playing several games at the same time)?

poker would be like a table and you would play against other players...

And one would not be able to play several games at once if they are forced to enter a portal.

credits would be updated at each turn/hand/play. If not, you would have to set something up to prevent one from just leaving if they have lost a lot of credits before it updates. Out of credits, go post something or whatever.

Games of chance would be simple.

It seems that PHP would be the easiest solution. Can Javascript or even flash access and update info into a MySQL database?

FLASH would be almost perfect for those game of chance now that I think about it.

Sponsored Links
Addict
Addict
I know flash 5 (or something) can read from a database, but it is quite limited. It is also possible to post (the same as an html form) information, which can be saved to the database. But I haven't got a clue as to how this works, I've never done any flash programming. And I guess that Flash MX has some better possibilites, but of that I know nothing.
It isn't possible to save to the database from javascript either, unless you post information as a form. Can be done invisbly to a frame of course.

If it is PHP (or Perl, JSP, Javascript etc) I can fix things though. But I have a lot of things on my todo-list which I'll have to do before I could start thinking of this. I could code the threads part though, that keeps credits updated and such.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
AllenAyres
AllenAyres
Texas
Forum Statistics
Forums63