Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#222737 08/22/2002 6:04 PM
I have scoured this board looking for answers to the myriad questions that have arisen as I customize my new UBB.threads board. I have put many of these modifications in place already, but there are a few issues that I can't find help for. So if you know the answer to any of these questions, I would greatly appreciate a response.

1. IP address search form. I know you can do a MySQL query to find the answers to this, but I was wondering if one might be able to add a field to a special administrator's search page. That way the results would be returned in a format like the post and user search page, which returns clickable links to the posts.

2. IP to hostname conversation utility. Does anyone have any code that would display the host info alongside the IP address information?

3. Administrator's view of the board. Has anyone come up with any code for an administrators' postlist that would show IP info?

4. Default sort for users. Is it possible to set it so all new user accounts have a specific sort (i.e., descending) in their postlist?

5. Default name color for users. Does anyone know of a way to set a default color for displaying users' names?

6. Post icons in replies. Has anyone found a mod to display icons with replies in the postlist view? Currently it only displays the "new" or "read" icons for replies in the postlist view.

7. New post "sorting." Currently, threads are internally reordered when new posts are made. I want the entire thread to go to the top of the board, but I don't want there to be any reordering done within the thread. How about this? Any code changes out there for this?

If you know the answers to any of these I would really appreciate the help.

Regards,

Jake Wilson
ivybasketball.com

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Welcome Jake

6. - You can adapt some of the work from the ubb.skin templates to achieve that... check the demo forum to see what I mean.

7. - what re-ordering within the thread do you mean?

5. - where would you like that changed and how? I imagine you'd do something similar as used for the admins and moderators.

1, 2, 3 - there are some IP modifications in the beta forum, you might check there...

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
[]Welcome Jake

6. - You can adapt some of the work from the ubb.skin templates to achieve that... check the demo forum to see what I mean.

Thanks. I'll check that out.

7. - what re-ordering within the thread do you mean?
Within the thread new replies are brought to the "top" of the thread. I want the threads themselves to go to the top when a new post is added, but I don't want re-ordering within the threads. New replies to the initial post should be added at the bottom of the thread, and replies to previous replies should be placed at the end of that "branch" of the thread.

Currently, thes "branches" of the thread are reordered when a reply is posted. This is confusing to those used to normal threaded formats.

5. - where would you like that changed and how? I imagine you'd do something similar as used for the admins and moderators.

You can currently go an and set a color for the name of each individual poster, but I would like to avoid doing this by instead specifying a default color for all user names.

1, 2, 3 - there are some IP modifications in the beta forum, you might check there...

Thanks, I'll check that out.

Also, where did the neat quoting code on this board come from? I tried QuickReply and AutoQuote and neither one looked as nice as this board's quoting.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Thanks, I belive it is Maze's work in the css forum... mebbe the templates forum. Check the css forum first, it is just some additional css code to add to your css file that makes it look like this

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Allen,

I managed to bury in quotes a couple of my follow-ups to your questions. Does the following information help at all?

[]7. - what re-ordering within the thread do you mean?

Within the thread new replies are brought to the "top" of the thread. I want the threads themselves to go to the top when a new post is added, but I don't want re-ordering within the threads. New replies to the initial post should be added at the bottom of the thread, and replies to previous replies should be placed at the end of that "branch" of the thread.

[]5. - where would you like that changed and how? I imagine you'd do something similar as used for the admins and moderators.

You can currently go an and set a color for the name of each individual poster, but I would like to avoid doing this by instead specifying a default color for all user names. (i.e., specify the "Normal" color specified in a new user's profile by default)

Regards

-Jake

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
There shouldn't be any re-ordering within the thread, unless you are talking about threaded-view. A reply to the first post will be placed at the top as that is how threaded views work... flat-view will always have newer posts added to the bottom

poster colors, I am sure there is a variable in the code that sets this, I haven't looked at it tho... someone else might have an answer for you `

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
[]There shouldn't be any re-ordering within the thread, unless you are talking about threaded-view. A reply to the first post will be placed at the top as that is how threaded views work... flat-view will always have newer posts added to the bottom

This is going to confuse an awful lot of people. Every threaded discussion group I have ever seen has added branches and replies at the bottom of the thread--not the top. So there's really no way to prevent new "branches" from being placed right below the original post in a thread? Very disappointing.

[]poster colors, I am sure there is a variable in the code that sets this, I haven't looked at it tho... someone else might have an answer for you `

If anyone figures this out, please post.

Thanks for the answers.

-JDW

Addict
Addict
[6.1b1]

5. The default color appears to be hardcoded in adduser.php:

// If this is the first user, then status is Administrator
// otherwise they are just get normal user status.
$Color = " ";

$Color is the string that gets stored in w3t_Users.U_Color, which is used as the font tag color attribute for displaying usernames. The font tag is not output if the color string is " ".

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
[]This is going to confuse an awful lot of people. Every threaded discussion group I have ever seen has added branches and replies at the bottom of the thread--not the top. So there's really no way to prevent new "branches" from being placed right below the original post in a thread? Very disappointing.

I don't use threaded view... it confuses the heck out of me quite frankly. I guess I'm just used to flat. But doesnt' threaded view function like the way you descirbe if the Dateslip Feature is off in the config file?

You might try turning that off and seeing if it looks more like what you're looking for, then go from there.

Addict
Addict
No, the replies to a thread are always sorted in inverted order for some reason when using threaded mode. I really think that should be user selectable, or at least by the admin since I'd like to new replies at the bottom as well.

Sponsored Links
Thanks to everyone. Seriously, a huge thank you. You have all been a very big help in getting my board ready for launch.

-Jake.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums63
Topics37,573
Posts293,925
Members13,849