Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
Not a problem chowhound

I have everything with the exception of the "Profile Index" running XHTML 1.0 transitional compliant right now on my test site. I also had to remove some empty color attributes in the standard infopop.css file so that it validated. There were warnings that I didn't include background colors with forground and vise versa but it validated none the less.

I also had to remove the code in the header.php include that is already present as it was not compliant.

The Profile Index was the hardest one for me to convert on the version I should be working on now and I really don't want to fix this older version... lol but I will. It was because of the way I'm tracking what check boxes are checked.

Once this version is smoothed out it should render well in all browses... *should*

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
All standards-compliant browsers And it will look as well as can be expected in those browsers that aren't there yet

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
posted by AllenAyres:
All standards-compliant browsers And it will look as well as can be expected in those browsers that aren't there yet

Ooops.. yeah that's what I ment... lol well not really but your right.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I can remember the day when most anything would do for "html" in scripts like these... 2 or 3 head tags, a couple of <html with nothing closing it.. no body tags. It's amazing how bad the html can be and IE will still render it usable. I know a well-known script that only had some table tags (and those were done badly), and no <html, <head, or <body tags... it's a miracle it displayed at all

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
I agree. I'm not a big Micro$oft fan these days but you have to give their browser credit for making an utter mess appealing.. lol

Sponsored Links
Dave, it's working flawlessly on my browser this afternoon, even without reload. Don't know if it's something you did or just browser ju-ju, but there yuh go.

One bit of weirdness, though...I tried to type "testing" and got an error message "shout already exists". FWIW there are no previous shouts by me in the window...yesterday's are gone.

Hey, I don't understand the tech stuff...would it be overly optimistic to hope this is the beginning of a serious built-in chat client for UBBT? Or is this about as far as it can go?

Also, how intensive is it on server/db/bandwidth?

Congrats on one of your coolest hacks ever.

JIM

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
posted by chowhound:
Dave, it's working flawlessly on my browser this afternoon, even without reload. Don't know if it's something you did or just browser ju-ju, but there yuh go.

I did monkey with some things so it may have been me. lol

posted by chowhound:
One bit of weirdness, though...I tried to type "testing" and got an error message "shout already exists". FWIW there are no previous shouts by me in the window...yesterday's are gone.

The shout that already exists isn't being displayed. There is a buffer of 20 shouts and once it is filled the buffer is emptied. This keeps the number of queries down.

posted by chowhound:
Hey, I don't understand the tech stuff...would it be overly optimistic to hope this is the beginning of a serious built-in chat client for UBBT? Or is this about as far as it can go?

No. Definately not a serious chat client. What your looking at in the shout box is a very simple "showflat.php" display. A "serious" chat client also needs a chat server in which to connect to. For those sites that wish to have "their" database used for nicknames and such they would need a dedicated chat server on which there would be no chance of other users being able to use the same nickname. There are php chat scripts out there. Still, basicly just the same as posting messages to a board though. I don't think there are any that run as a background proccess as a dedicated chat server would need to.

posted by chowhound:
Also, how intensive is it on server/db/bandwidth?

The shout box is is less load then showflat.php is.

posted by chowhound:
Congrats on one of your coolest hacks ever.

Thanks

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
When I was putting 5.0 together I had it in all different setups... half templated while testing different template ideas, half languaged, well mostly when I reallized why Scream had everything in a single array (them global calls get quite large amungst other reasons) and a mixture of standards and nonstandards coding. At this point the only thing that's not in 4.6 that was in the old 5.0 is something called "picture posts" that allows for browsing of image files in the forums. (based on access of course) What I'm asking here is does anyone want to have this older version of "picture posts" now and I'll call this current IIP 5.0 beta untill the bugs are squashed? Then I wont feel so bad calling the next one 6.0 LoL I hated to skip a number without anyone getting a stab at it.

Let me know your thoughts.

Addict
Addict
Doesn't matter to me since I probably won't be using that feature. I will be working towards some better photopost integration if anything. But I like the new index system so far, its so much better

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
As time goes on the picture post feature will become quite comparable.

Since Imagemagic is free I will eventually be utilizing it as much as possible for creating thumbs and other such things. I can't say for sure as I can't afford to purchase a copy but I believe PhotoPost's features greatly depend on Imagemagic. Am I wrong?

Last edited by JustDave; 09/02/2002 8:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Addict
Addict
Well, the 3.0.x version relies only on ImageMagick, BUT 3.1 which is due out today or tomorrow will utilize php's built in GD, so users wouldn't even need to go through the installation of IM to get it to work.

Also dave, coming up very shortly is a free version of PhotoPost, it lacks many of the high-end features for large sites, but when that comes out you could get your hands on it and see how the program basically works and possibly build from that.

I just see photopost getting pretty big fairly quick, and even had someone compliment my site with PP and UBB.T and was asking me if I would sell my index code, I told him it wasn't mine, but you created it and its free to use if you have UBB.Threads, etc.

I know casper has the pal already made to display a random image, which is really cool. I just need to take it a few steps further is all

Last edited by msula; 09/02/2002 3:12 PM.
That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
Using the GD library is fairly straight forward. The problem I percieve is that not many hosts will have this enabled. I had started work on using the GD library for my picture posts feature but scrapped it thinking not many would be able to use it. Also, only older GD libraries support .gif images but the new ones will probably do so when the pattent runs out next year.

In IIP 6.0 users can browse pictures posted in forums they have access to, search them forums for various pictures in much the same manor as the profile index search, chose how many results to display per page and how many columns, when showing one picture at a time (large display) they can rate the picture or see what they have already rated it. Also, in the "show one" display there is a list of replies to the picture. The main thing I'll want to do next with this is to allow for thumbnail generation and storage.

Power User
Power User
I probably wont be using the image feature either

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
Well then I guess I'll wrap things up as they currently stand. I'll still call this 5.0 and keep it beta for a while untill I'm fairly sure all bugs are squashed.

I'd like to dig back into 6.0 asap so I can open it up for viewing so ending this version now helps.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
The image feature sounds good to me

Don't let that one hold you up from 6.0 tho

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
The image feature is so much nicer in 6.0 so I think I'll just keep it for 6.0's package. I read your article at ubbdec.com about the portal project and what Charles said about the different layers of an application and after getting things moved into templates/language files and seperated code it's just easier to manage. (good article too, btw!)

And hey, with some luck I'll get some sort of admin feature to generate thumbs. Creating thumbs with the GD library is easy and can be something that's automatic with a picture attachment but like I mentioned above from what I have seen not many hosts care to support that library in their shared systems.

Thank you

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Dave you are Awesome!!!!

Can't wait to play with this.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63