Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Journeyman
Journeyman
PHP Warning: Can't connect to MySQL server on '63.161.3.227' (10060) in c:\www\schoolscandals\ubbthreads\mysql.inc.php on line 38 PHP Warning: mysql_select_db(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in c:\www\schoolscandals\ubbthreads\mysql.inc.php on line 45 PHP Warning: mysql_query(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in c:\www\schoolscandals\ubbthreads\mysql.inc.php on line 97 PHP Warning: mysql_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in c:\www\schoolscandals\ubbthreads\mysql.inc.php on line 121 PHP Warning: mysql_query(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in c:\www\schoolscandals\ubbthreads\mysql.inc.php on line 97 PHP Warning: mysql_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in c:\www\schoolscandals\ubbthreads\mysql.inc.php on line 121 PHP Warning: mysql_query(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in c:\www\schoolscandals\ubbthreads\mysql.inc.php on line 97

if you want to see go to http://63.161.3.227

Sponsored Links
Kahuna
Kahuna
My guess is that it is a connection problem with your MySQL database. I think I had the same problem because I mispelled the password for the database in the config.inc.php.

Is your database in the same box as the forum or you are connecting remotely? Check that the following are set properly. Play a bit with the dbserver using localhost or 127.0.0.1 or 63.161.3.227 in your case

$config['dbtype'] = "mysql";
$config['dbserver'] = "localhost";
$config['dbuser'] = "admin"; (or your admin user)
$config['dbpass'] = "password";
$config['dbname'] = "your database name";

I can't think of anything else right now, but the page shown suggests that there is not a valid connection with the database.

Warm regards

Nikos

Nikos
Journeyman
Journeyman
this all started when i tried to change the password from being blank ("") but tried the password i wanted it changed to and the old (blank) one but neither one will let me in... what can i do to save the info?

Kahuna
Kahuna
Is this a Windows box that you are running your forum and also do you have WinMySQLAdmin installed?

Warm regards

Nikos

Nikos
Addict
Addict
This might be helpful: How to Reset a Forgotten Root Password.

If you're not sure whether it's a MySQL or PHP problem, I would stick with using MySQL commands from the command line until you're sure that's working.

Sponsored Links
Journeyman
Journeyman
It's a windows 2000 box. I have mysqladmin installed but can't figure out how to use it. I really hate mysql. It'll be the death of me.

Kahuna
Kahuna
I still haven't figured out myself how to create a shell and use MySQL from the command line on my 2K box. If you know please follow Dave's advice.

What I can say from experience is the following:

Check in the system tray if the WinMySQL is running (you will see a traffic light).

If it's not running then go to C:\Program Files\mysql\bin\ or your equivelant path for your MySQL installation and run the winmysqladmin.exe.

Right mouse click on it and select Show Me

See the traffic light. If it is red then right mouse click on the top right area and select Start the service. Check if your forum works or not.

If your forum still doesn't work:
If the traffic light is green then right mouse click on the top right area and click Stop the service and shutdown the tool (you have to choose the right mouse menu option on the top right area)

Locate the file my.ini under your Windows folder and rename it to my.in_

Run again the WinMySQLAdmin and choose a user and a password. A new my.ini will be created under windows and the user will be added in the users table.

Failing all that delete the newly created my.ini and rename your old one my.in_ to my.ini

I ran out of suggestions now....

Warm regards

Nikos

Nikos
Journeyman
Journeyman
It's a red light. I click to start it, it turns green for about a second then back to red.

By the way,

Happy T.G. everyone

Journeyman
Journeyman
uninstalled mysql reinstalled it re-set it up and now it's working again... But now i'm afraid to change it from login: root password ""

Oh well

Thanks everyone for the tips.

Addict
Addict
You could add another user with full privileges (same as root), and experiment with changing the password for that one. If you mess it up, then you can still use root. After you've got the second user set up the way you want, and know that you can access MySQL with it, then you could try changing root's password again.

I don't have experience using MySQL on Windows, though, so I can't guarantee this will work.

Sponsored Links
Journeyman
Journeyman
I can't even figure out how to create a new user. Anyone have any linkage?

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
ack, I'm not following the conversation

What are you trying to do? If you are using the mysqladmin app for your databases, there's a tab to select 'my.ini setup' - you can change your password in there for your MySQL databases. If you change the password from 'root' to something else (probably recommended that you do anyways), any php/mysql script you setup will need the password changed to the new one. You can also edit the my.ini file directly with a text editor, it's in your /WinNT folder

Ex: you change your password in the my.ini to
password

you'll need to edit your config settings in your admin panel to reflect the new password.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Journeyman
Journeyman
Sorry for being so confusing. I suppose what I'm trying to do is change the username from root and the password from "" ...I can't figure out how to do that in WinMySQLadmin 1.4 ...I see the pick-up and Edit my.ini values but when I click it nothing happens. am I supposed to type something in the box to the right of that? Right now all it says is:

[WinMySQLAdmin]
Server=C:/mysql/bin/mysqld-nt.exe

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
odd, you should have had it set when you set mysql up

Anyways, add this:

user=root
password=root

under what you have. You can change the user or password, just be sure your scripts match. Add that and click on 'save'

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Journeyman
Journeyman
I'm really sorry for being so complicated. But now i have:

[WinMySQLAdmin]
user=root
password=blah

but when I go and change config.inc.php to match i get horrible database errors.

Last edited by SchoolScandals; 11/29/2002 1:50 PM.
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Download the my.ini and the config.inc.php to double check they match

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Journeyman
Journeyman
[WinMySQLAdmin]
user=ssss
password=blah

config.inc.php:

// ------------------
// Database Variables

// What type of database are you running
// current options
// mysql, (postgres, sybase are available but untested)
$config['dbtype'] = "mysql";

// Server hosting the database
$config['dbserver']= "63.161.3.227";

// Username that has permissions to the database
$config['dbuser'] = "ssss";

// Password for the database
$config['dbpass'] = "blah";

// Name of the database
$config['dbname'] = "mysql";

// Table name prefix (Do not edit after the initial install!)
$config['tbprefix'] = "w3t_";

I think the problem may be using the "mysql" database within mysql I think that is reserved by the mysql program. you will need to create another database with a different name within mysql

Addict
Addict
// Name of the database
$config['dbname'] = "mysql";

Is your UBB.threads database named "mysql"?

MySQL creates its own database named "mysql" for storing privilege information, and some other stuff.

Journeyman
Journeyman
Yeah I've been using that one. How do i create a new one?

Journeyman
Journeyman
Downloaded MySql Control Center ...helped a lot ...I think everythings fixed. Thanks everyone for the advice and suggestions etc.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63