Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
May be a bit... lol I still got about 4 or 5 more color schemes to go...

Why not create one specific to your site as DaLanTech has done? Perhaps with corals and a few fish, some macro algae... LoL I can actually see a pretty cool layout in my mind for this...

Sponsored Links

Yes I do have a few things in mind with the images. However I was talking about the hack as I am following and I see what files you are talking about just a bit in the dark as to what to do with each one. I assume once you let everyone of us who are not quite so gifted at coding at how you did it I could change the graphics to what I want.

I'm trying to deside if I want to combine some of the content of my generic header and the ubbtregistered and ubbtunregistered template files so that there is one wrapper around both. I know how (did it once to see how it would look). The only problems are:

• I'd lose the ability to easily make new logo banners for the site. As often as I mess with things this one is a real problem LOL!
  • The admin control panel is dorked. I had to edit the login.php script in the ubbthreads/admin directory cause the top frame wasn't big enough. It's all fun and games until you go into the admin control panel and lose the menu at the top...
I think I'll just put a break tag at the end of the generic header for now and sleep on it

[]Yes I do have a few things in mind with the images. However I was talking about the hack as I am following and I see what files you are talking about just a bit in the dark as to what to do with each one. I assume once you let everyone of us who are not quite so gifted at coding at how you did it I could change the graphics to what I want. [/]

What I did was leave the original html in the tbopen and tbclose template as is and added the html that I wanted for the border so that it was outside the original html in the two templates.

The trick is to create a 3 x 3 table. The graphics are background images set by CSS classes (you'll have to make them). Plus you have to cut clear gif files for forground images that act as "place holders" so the background images display correctly. Then you cut the table where the center cell begins and add that html to the tbopen.tmpl file (above the original html in the tbopen.tmpl file). The rest of the table goes after the original html in the tbclose.tmpl file. If it's not against Info Pop copy write I could attach my templates to this thread so you can an idea of what I'm talking about. Or wait for JustDave to post his mod.

The problem with this mod is that you just can't take someone elses templates and use them as is with your own graphics: If your images are not the same size as the ones that were used to design the templates then it won't work. You either have to install the whole mod (once it comes out) or reverse engineer what someone else has done and do it yourself (thank God for "view source"! JustDave, you should feel robbed ).

Sponsored Links
From looking at the source code I can see the tbopen and $tbclose are edited and class's defined of top left right bottom and images are assigned? At least that is my feable understanding of it so far. I guess I will wait and open up my test forum and play a bit. Best to wait till you document this to try it out on my main site.

[]From looking at the source code I can see the tbopen and $tbclose are edited and class's defined of top left right bottom and images are assigned? At least that is my feable understanding of it so far. I guess I will wait and open up my test forum and play a bit. Best to wait till you document this to try it out on my main site. [/]

8 new class statements. One for each corner and side. Plus the changes to the tbopen and tbclose templates.

Don't wait for me to document it: It's JustDaves mod. I wanted something unique so I figured it out on my own. If JustDave wants me to document this one I will, but it's up to him

I know I am so use to hitting the last post you were the RE:

That was directed at Dave. When he documents it I will try it out. Although I may play a bit and figure it out on my own on my test site.

Code Monkey
Code Monkey
very nice Da lan. Your forum looks great!

[]I know I am so use to hitting the last post you were the RE:

That was directed at Dave. When he documents it I will try it out. Although I may play a bit and figure it out on my own on my test site. [/]

He hates documenting his scripts. He even admitted that his idea of documentation is giving a name to the zip file the mod is in

Sponsored Links
Yes I read that. However he does great work just look at IIP. I can muddle through bad documentation. I setup my test site and am playing with everything now to see what I can come up with looking at the source code from yours and his sites. I beleive I know what to put in the tbopen and tbclosed templates. I do not know what I am to put in tablewrapper thing though.

I just cut and pasted the html I made for the wrap around in the IIP tablewrappers.tmpl file, again putting my script outside the original script in the template.

I didn't mess with the script in table_center, table_header_no_center, and table_footer_no_center (I don't seem to use those three).

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
[]
Don't wait for me to document it: It's JustDaves mod. I wanted something unique so I figured it out on my own. If JustDave wants me to document this one I will, but it's up to him [/]

If your up to documenting the "How to" in creating the wrappers and explaining things in detail it would be great.

I'll document how to install my skins that I'm putting together but that was about it.

It would be nice to have such documentation posted in here, even in a sticky post, so that others may feel inclined to give it a try. Even if it's a first attempt it's better than no attempt. With the number of users we have around on a regular basis I would think we can put together a 100 such skins this year, easy. I'll be adding a total of 7 or 8 (maybe more) different color schemes myself.

Who ever is following this thread I challenge you to create just 1 skin to share with us all. There's 363 days left. (but don't wait till the there is only 1.. lol)

OK, I'm up for doing the "How To"

I have a skin already (just check the link in my signature if you're curious) but with my binary theme I'm not sure anyone would want it

I already tried it out I am having a problem with the corners but I got the general idea.

[]I already tried it out I am having a problem with the corners but I got the general idea. [/]

Did you use a transparent gif file as a foreground image in the corners, that is the same height and width of your corner?

I thought I did I am going to redo it and see what I come up with.

guy's you don't have to wait for the release of these you now LMAO

little thing called cache , the css & images will be there
then edit tbopen and tbclosed templates...
come on guy's thought you guy's are a little more advanced then that hehe .. sorry it's one of my bad habits to sort through my cache

[](thank God for "view source"! JustDave, you should feel robbed ).[/]

I had a feeling but cache is so much better as you can grab css file

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
Well I really don't appreciate things being ripped without my consent. Thank You.

Dslam,

I have to agree with Dave on this one. You can always view a source file and see how things are done. Most anyone here knows how to do that. I think any one of us here could rip off someone's work that way. There are some things we may know how to do that we do not do. Unless you are willing to make the code changes yourself and DESIGN your own graphics it is customary that one waits for the hack to be released. Otherwise that is just plain theft.

Dave gave plently of pointers on how to do this. He even told everyone which files. It is an easy mod. I for one look forward to designing quite a few graphic designs once Dave releases this hack. Until then everything is just in the testing stages.

oh come on dave I'm pulling your leg buddy . ok ok I was pulling both legs but it's all in good fun hehe
sorry I'm in one of my moods today ..
I'm waiting on your release of the files ..

Dave Smile come on Big smile

LMAO I just pointed out "cache" chill I am not even playing with that I'm to damn busy making my site get 500 errors

[]guy's you don't have to wait for the release of these you now LMAO

little thing called cache , the css & images will be there
then edit tbopen and tbclosed templates...
come on guy's thought you guy's are a little more advanced then that hehe .. sorry it's one of my bad habits to sort through my cache [/]

I robbed JustDave by viewing source on his test site and I figured out how he was making the table borders. Once I had a grip on the concepts involoved I designed my own graphics and created my own CSS classes. Then I editted the tbopen and tbclose templates myself.

I was joking about robbing JustDave -I would never directly copy anyone elses work. I will "steal" ideas though

The only sad thing now is that when someone says something like that here it becomes an ethical thing. JustDave has closed his test forum it looks like and no one gets too see all the great work he is doing for Threads as a direct result of someone saying they can rip of someone's work. Thats the sad part here.

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
[]Well I really don't appreciate things being ripped without my consent. Thank You. [/]

This was in relation to the images/css files I'm working on. The html code to create the wrapper is so basic I can hardly take credit for it. All I wanted to do is show .threads users that they have the power to visually enhance their sites without a lot of editing or php knowledge.

I'll try and finish my skin package this week. There should be enough choices that the users of everyone's sites wont be able to complain (but some always will). I have named the graphic files in relation to their use so that users can see what went where in the style sheet. Everyone is welcome to use this package to learn from and or modify to their needs. The package and it's contents may not be offered for download or distributed except from ThreadsDev. I don't think that's much to ask for.

[]Well I really don't appreciate things being ripped without my consent. Thank You. [/]

All I got from your test site was how you were creating the tables. Once I figured out what you did I created everything else on my own (my graphics are not only different, they're not even the same dimentions).

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
I know that.

I didn't even care that you looked at the source to see how to create the wrappers. Heck, that's the point of my package is to inspire others to create more of these.

The suggestion by Dslam to grab the files from cache just annoyed me since I'm not even done with them yet. After I'm done I wont care where someone gets the files, either from cache or downloading the zip made available here.

Honestly I was glad to see that you created your own as I think everyone should do so to give their sites a distinct look. I just want to provide a good base to start from. Perhaps you'll create some others to offer here as well.

I plan on offering some non Da LAN Tech specific graphics, but I want to wait until after you post your set

I'll get that "How to" out to you sometime this week.

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
Thanks

I am looking forward to your release as well.

Once you get this out I will release some graphics sets as well. I already have one done just for my site but that will most likely not fit anybody else's site. But there are others that we can do.

Just like you said if everyone can make a set we can have tons and tons of designs for someone to choose from.

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
Sounds great Chuck

Will be looking forward to them.

The special one I already designed is as you already guessed related to coral reefs with fish and macro algae and corals.

I look forward to this easy design that you are doing to become quite a project where people who are just starting their board can come here and get everything they need to design and put out a great threads site.

I know I have recieved alot of great help and hacks as well the past year. This is what sets sites like this apart. Not only can we purchase a board from a software provider but we get unlimited support. In time hopefully all of us are able to give back.

[]Thanks

I am looking forward to your release as well. [/]

Can we distribute editted tbclose.tmpl and tbopen.tmpl files with our graphics sets?

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
I do believe we can since them files do not carry the copy right notice from Infopop. Also, the other template mods offered here have not come under fire either so I think it's safe to do so.

(I'm intending on doing it...)

[]I do believe we can since them files do not carry the copy right notice from Infopop. Also, the other template mods offered here have not come under fire either so I think it's safe to do so.

(I'm intending on doing it...) [/]

Due to the nature of how the graphics are set in the table wrapper it would almost be impossible not to. Can you imagine the hack instructions on something like this...

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
LoL no doubt. Much simpler to include the modified templates.

Hey Dave,
I'll work on the documentation this weekend and hopefully get a copy out to you for review before Monday. No promisses, since I've been swamped working on my own web site (you know how that goes).

I'll also try to get my table wrappers mod packaged so it's ready to release after you release yours

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
Sounds good

I haven't had much time this week as well. Not sure what the weekend will allow either. Don't wait for me though. If you have your changes ready and documented go ahead and post them.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
AllenAyres
AllenAyres
Texas
Forum Statistics
Forums63