Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#231624 01/03/2003 7:07 AM
I want to integrate an external package into my threads but I need for it to use the threads passwords how do I get a plain password out of the md5 hash ?

Regards
Clint

Running on WIN2003 Web Server.

Paranoid people get followed too!
Sponsored Links
groov_richmond #231625 01/03/2003 7:12 AM
Kahuna
Kahuna
Hi Clint

The MD5 algorithm is a hash algorithm and its purpose is to encode but not decode. So once you convert a word with MD5 there is no way to get the original text back.

The way threads does it is to get the text that the user enters and hash it with MD5. Then it compares that value with the one in the database.

This is what you can do with the external package yourself. Get the user to type in a password
Convert that password with MD5
Open a connection to your threads database
Get the user's stored password and compare it with the one you have already stored.

Warm regards

Nikos

Nikos
Hal_dup2 #231626 01/03/2003 9:26 AM
Thanks for the reply, you don't have a code snippet I can look at do you ?

Regards
Clint

Running on WIN2003 Web Server.

Paranoid people get followed too!
groov_richmond #231627 01/03/2003 10:14 AM
Kahuna
Kahuna
You can use something like this:
Code
<br />	// Require the main library<br />   	require ("main.inc.php");<br />   	<br />	$oHTML		=	new html;<br />	$oUser		=	new user;<br />	$arrUser		=	array();<br />	<br />	$strPassword	=	"";<br />	<br />	// Get the user info<br />   	$arrUser = $oUser -> authenticate('U_Password');<br />   	$strUsername = $arrUser['U_Username'];<br />	$strPassword = $arrUser['U_Password'];<br />	<br />   	if (!$arrUser['U_Username']) <br />	{<br />    	$oHTML -> not_right ($ubbt_lang['NO_AUTH'], $Cat);<br />	}<br />	<br />	<br />	//-----------------------------------------------------------------------<br />	//-----------------------------------------------------------------------<br />	<br />	// If you need to authenticate someone on this script using a passed username<br />	// and password<br />	$strQuery = "<br />		SELECT	U_Password<br />		FROM	{$config['tbprefix']}Users<br />		WHERE	U_Username = '$InUsername'<br />	";<br />	<br />	$sth = $dbh -> do_query( $strQuery );<br />	list( $strPassword );<br />	$dbh -> finish_sth($sth);<br />	<br />	// strPassword has the database pasword hashed<br />	// InPassword is the passed variable in the script from the input box<br />	if ( $strPassword = md5( $InPassword ) )<br />	{<br />    	// Blah blah they don't match<br />	}<br /><br />

which will get a password using a passed parameter ($InPassword). By including the main.inc.php you ensure that you have access to the classes of ubbthreads. Also the authenticate method of the user class will authenticate the user (if he/she is logged in the forum) so you might not even need to do the next step.

In the second section I have a query that is run against the database and checks the passwords.

I hope this helps

Warm regards

Nikos

Nikos

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Ruben Rocha
Ruben Rocha
Lutz,FL,USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63