Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Omega - no clue if i'm on dalnet or xnet.

When I type in
/msg nickserv register myname mypassword

I'm getting this:
<AllusiveK*nickserv> register AllusiveK mypassword

-> that's all in blue, and basically, the same thing for the room when I try and register....

I know something is wrong...lol. Can you tell me what?

-peter

Sponsored Links
in your script what server do you have the chat pointed to?

Power User
Power User
Hi Josh.

Thanks for your efforts but no that didn't work.

Let me just review a bit:
My chatpopup does (as I had it) do the job -- it does keep my Who's Online up-to-date with those who are in the Chat Room, as planned.

The only problem is that it causes my regular Threads header.tmpl to appear in the chatpopup, which looks dumb and causes confusion to users.

If I could just find a way to not have the header.tmpl appear, I'd be laughing.

This line in my chatpopup seems to be needed and seems to work except for the header thang: $html -> send_header("Updater",$Cat,0,0,0,0,"");. Note that I'm clueless and have no clue what I'm doing.

P.S., My "register_globals" are "on"

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
This is what my chat popup looks like:

Code
// Require the library <br />   require ("/home/measurection/htdocs/forums/main.inc.php"); <br /> <br />			$currtime = time (); <br />			$currtime = $currtime+($config['adjusttime']*3600); <br />            $What = "chat"; <br /> <br />		   $Username_q = addslashes($Username); <br />           $What_q     = addslashes($What); <br />           $Usernumber_q = addslashes($Usernumber); <br />           $aux = ""; <br />           $readperm = ""; <br />           $query = " <br />             REPLACE INTO {$config['tbprefix']}Online <br />             (O_Username,O_Uid,O_Last,O_What,O_Extra,O_Read,O_Type) <br />             VALUES ('$Username_q','$Usernumber_q','$currtime','$What_q','$aux','$readperm','r') <br />           "; <br />           $dbh -> do_query($query); <br /> <br />// ------ debuggin info <br />// echo "name - $Username_q   and number = $Usernumber_q"; <br /> <br />echo " <br />  <script language=\"javascript\" type=\"text/javascript\"> window.blur();</script> <br /><meta http-equiv=\"refresh\" content=\"500\"> <br /><font size =\"+1\"><div align=\"center\"> <br /><b>Please leave this window open while you are in the Chat Room. <br /></b></font></div> <br />"; <br /> <br />?>

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
You can uncomment that debugging info to see if the variables are being passed.

In some cases you need the get_input function (get) to get the variables from one scrip to another via the URL.

If you check the URL of your chat popup? (show your address bar) is the name and number being passed?

Try adding:

echo "Name $Username and Number $Usernumber"; to the bottom of your other chat script to verify that they are defined there.

Sponsored Links
Omega: irc.webmaster.com

Hope that helps!

Power User
Power User
Josh: Yes that works! Thanks very much for all your help on this.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Dalantech -

Is the chat popup thing included in your files?

If so, add the get_input functions I posted in this thread to it.... as some servers need that.

No, it's not included. I left it out because I know a lot of people block java pop ups (too many irritating adds out there).

When I get time I'll include instructions for adding it. Is there any other way to make the who's online display work without java?

*Dal updates his Threads Dev to do list*

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Not sure. The problem with a traditional "chat" page is that once the java applet loads, it doesn't refresh the page. If the page doesn't refresh, they drop off the list after 10 minutes.

I can't really see any way around this. It'd be great if it were.

I saw something somewhere (I guess it was your DigiChat mod)? Where it opened the chatroom in a frame. Could you have a tiny "iframe" that refreshed - although my browser doesn't support iframes. Many do not. But I guess you could do the page in frames and have one of the frames refresh.

Just thinking out loud. So in theory it works.... but my theorys are sometimes wrong.

Might need to add modifying that on my threads to do list.

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately I didn't do the Digichat mod

I have a tendancy to stay away from iframes as well, they just don't work across all browser platforms. I only recently went back to using DHTML because support for it is strong enough now.

You're right, refreshing the page would cause them to drop off line. I noticed that the who's online page will auto refresh. I wonder if there is a way to make an element on the chat page (say just a one pixel transperant gif) refresh so that the entire page does not reload, but the who's online mechanism "sees" the refresh?

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I guess if you did regular frames.... put your header in a frame and let it refresh.. letting the chat window stay put... that would do it.

The digichat mod had like 3 frames. One with instructions, one that refreshed, and one that had a button to open the digichat thing.

I have a special kinda hate for frames, but I might try it just to see how it looks.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Yeah, me too... I hate popups too.. but my users wanted to see who was in chat.

On my site... I use the who's online box at the top of every page.... and I made it say below that, in bold: "There are 5 users in chat. Join them!" so that has really helped chat traffic.

I'd like to do the same thing eventually.

*sigh* More "to do"

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I need to pull that code together and post it.

If you do I'll add it into the jchat.php script (unless you want to do it ).

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I'll get it to you hopefully sometime this week.

Thanks

[]Could you have a tiny "iframe" that refreshed - although my browser doesn't support iframes. Many do not. [/]

My God man what are you talking about? What do you use?

I'll give you a hint: He thinks different...

LOL

I don't know of many browsers that don't support iframes. I have IE, Netscape, and Mozilla and they all support it. I had an iframe on my site for a long time. Then again I am always getting latest versions etc.

Could be people don't upgrade as often.

Power User
Power User
[]On my site... I use the who's online box at the top of every page.... and I made it say below that, in bold: "There are 5 users in chat. Join them!" so that has really helped chat traffic. [/]

Josh that would be just brilliant. My users have also been begging for that.

It would make a pretty neat package -- Dalantech's integrated Chat with your mod's -- for those of us who are trying to make chat a serious aspect of our sites.

I really appreciate the work you all are doing. Personally, I just learned that PHP isn't a steak sauce, so I'm a ways off from being able to contribute much!

I will have jump into this bandwagon as well Jossh.

Silly ricer.. Wings are for airplanes!
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
OK - let me post this mod here until it's ready for "prime time". I pulled the code from my site.... but I've got some other things going on. So I haven't tested it.

It should work fine... but somebody test it and let me know.

For this to work, the chat page must be named "chat.php" as it looks for the entry of "chat" in the online table.

If the chat page is named 'chatroom.php' then you will need to modify my code to search for 'chatroom' instead.

This adds the number of users chatting to the top of each page on your site, and offers a link to the chatroom (chat.php) - again, if your chat file is named something else, you'll need to edit the link in the nav bar templates.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Josh
Attachments
66540-CountInChat1.0.txt (0 Bytes, 151 downloads)

Thanks!

I'll try to get time to test this one out tonight

Power User
Power User
Thanks a lot, Josh.

I've tried it and got it working as far as I can tell..... haven't tested it much because my eyes are closing on me.

I'll give it more of a go in the morning.

I have modified this slightly. See changes below..

I changed this part of the ubbt.inc.php (2 places)

$ChatNumber .= "$tbopen<tr><td class="lighttable"><br /><div align="center"><b>There is also $ChatOnline User in the <a href="{$config['phpurl']}/jchat.php">Chat Room</a>. Go and Join Them!</b></div></td></tr>$tbclose<br />";

to this...

$ChatNumber .= "[$ChatOnline]";

and the ubbt_resg and unregistered.tmpl to this...

<a href = "{$config['homeurl']}/forums/jchat.php">Chat</a> $ChatNumber
|

This will SIMPLY toss a number of chatters that are in the chat room via the page next to the chat link for simplicity. And nothing when none. Be aware that if they are using an outside client, this will not count those people.

Example at www.theddz.com, click on chat. But you need to be registered to watch it change.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Good idea!

Thanks.

Josh, this one is just too !

Now all I need is a side bar with this mod in it

[scratch original question]

Omega, or Dal, can either of you suggest a server where I can register a channel/nicks?

-peter

Last edited by allusivekudos; 02/03/2003 9:01 PM.
Whatever I try the chat is trying to reach irc.blackened.com and not the server I set in the template file.

I replaced this server whereever I found it in the /chat dir but the $%&"§*_ is still trying it.
I don't have clue whats wrong.

Can someone please assist?
http://www.clanforums.com/ubbthreads/chat.php

That's exactly what happened to me and I could never find what was wrong!

-peter

Ahh, I also ran into this.. You have to change it in the config file AND the html I think. Email me and I can arrange a time to go over this with you in person individually.

[][email protected][/]

I've changed it now in EVERY file where irc.black... is included. I deleted also ALL other server information so that only my wanted is in.

Within the archives in p.class the serverinfo was also in. I changed it also but same effect.

The applet is still trying to reach this %§"&$#§" server and not the one I want...

Then I found out that there is a small failure in the attachment here.

OPEN JCHAT.TMPL and you will see this
<param name="ServerName1" value="irc.dal.net">
<param name="ServerName2" value="liberty.nj.us.dal.net">
<param name="ServerName3" value="typhoon.va.us.dal.net">

Remove the \ in front of the " and it wil work

Last edited by jluerken; 02/16/2003 8:13 AM.
[]JoshPet said:
Yeah, me too... I hate popups too.. but my users wanted to see who was in chat.

On my site... I use the who's online box at the top of every page.... and I made it say below that, in bold: "There are 5 users in chat. Join them!" so that has really helped chat traffic. [/]

Hey Josh, I would also like to have it. Can you send to me how you made this cause I finally managed to include the chat into my forum. (50$ )

Another question:

I opened the chat window in one of my registered channels on irc.quakenet.org and now all the people who have a registered nick there can't connect if the nick is the same the use in the forum. Can I add a suffix to the Forumnames that this is working?

You get the same error when the nick used in the forum is too long for the irc. Any way to cut things?

Last edited by jluerken; 02/16/2003 8:51 AM.
I've updated the zip file in the first post to include the chatpopup.php file and a new jchat.php file that includes the script to call the popup window.

They should be able to connect, provided they are not already logged into the channel from another IRC application and they login to the channel once they connect.

[]Dalantech said:
I've updated the zip file in the first post to include the chatpopup.php file and a new jchat.php file that includes the script to call the popup window. [/]

You've forgotten to delete the failure with the template file and the server names. See my above posting!!!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Nettomo
Nettomo
Germany, Bremen
Forum Statistics
Forums63