Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
JJS
and it had to be the most popular one of course.

No matter what I do, I can no longer get my UBB forum #1 to list on the main index page. I've tried moving it around to different categories and then back to it's original home but to no avail---it will not display.

The forum is still there, because I can locate it manually with the URL and post to it without difficulty.

Here's the sequence of events which occurred right before it disappeared:

1) I banned a user.
2) I removed that user from the database.
3) I removed that users posts from the forum.

After that the forum the user had been posting "disappeared" and I can no longer show it under any category.

IIP can still find it and as I said, we can still get to it manually---but what do I need to do to get it back on the main index page?

Thanks for the help.

Athenalink's Talkback Forums

Sponsored Links
That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
Ouch...

I must say at this point I have no idea... if I do think of something I'll definately let you know.

JJS
[]Ouch...

I must say at this point I have no idea... if I do think of something I'll definately let you know. [/]

There's got to be a way to get it back---cause it's not really gone.

But it's "disappearance" definitely has SOMETHING to do with the erdacition of that user.

Should I try a table repair?

Power User
Power User
I had the same problem with one of mine, I had to create a new forum and mass move all the threads into the new one. Then for some reason the old showed back up.

I was going friggin nuts try to figure it out and still dont know why it happened.

-Jason

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
I wonder if this:

1) I banned a user.
2) I removed that user from the database.
3) I removed that users posts from the forum.

Should have gone in this order:

1) I banned a user.
2) I removed that users posts from the forum.
3) I removed that user from the database.

Because when you deleted the user all of their posts got assigned to user number #1 (the built in place holder)

Then when you deleted all posts it would remove every single post that's been assigned to user number #1.

Or... perhaps not. I have never done these steps so I don't know for sure.

You said IIP can still see/access the forum? There may be something ubbthreads.php looks for specificly that IIP doesn't when displaying the information. It may not be a corrupted table. (and I wouldn't expect it to be)

Sponsored Links
That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
Would you mind me having a look around? I have a couple ideas but need to do some queries to see what's what.

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
Nevermind about the order I gave above. I don't see how it can be done in any other order... lol I tried testing what you did on the beta board here. Didn't lose the forum.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
This is cross posted.. I saw something similar and posted more info over at infopop community.

I sorta fixed it by posting a new post to each of the forums that had disappeared. It "might" have to do with the "last post" being a post and user that don't exist.

I have a suspicion that this query:

UPDATE w3t_Boards
SET Bo_LastNumber = 'NULL',
Bo_Posterid = 'NULL',
Bo_Last = 'NULL'
WHERE Bo_Keyword = 'UBB1'

might knock out the last post info and bring the forum back to the main index page.

Although my theories have been wrong before. LOL

Let us know if that helps.

Addict
Addict
I wonder if it could be the last-post info for that forum. If that got messed up as result of deleting the user or his posts, the forum might not show up on the main index. You could try setting Bo_Posterid and Bo_LastNumber to 0 for that board.

-------
Edit:

Re: Josh's post - I would try this instead:

UPDATE w3t_Boards
SET Bo_LastNumber = 0,
Bo_Posterid = 0

Those columns are numeric, not string, and the query in ubbthreads.php which generates the main index looks for zeros in those columns.

But if your intent were to set the columns to NULL, you would specify NULL without the quotes. 'NULL' is a string containing four characters, which is not the same.

Last edited by Dave_L; 01/20/2003 3:12 AM.
JJS
[]I had the same problem with one of mine, I had to create a new forum and mass move all the threads into the new one. Then for some reason the old showed back up.

I was going friggin nuts try to figure it out and still dont know why it happened.

-Jason [/]

Jason:

That's how I essentially corrected it using a variation on a suggestion Joshpet made to me over at InfoPop (My handle is JerryJon on that forum)

Here's what I did:

1) I created a NEW category
2) Added the forum to the new category
3) Verfiied the old forum was showing up in the new catergory
4) Moved the forum back to the old category
5) Things now seem back to normal

Interesting that just MOVING the forum around existing categories did nothing----only creating a new category seemed to resurrect it.

Thanks for to everyone for the input and quick response.

Sponsored Links
Yep, had this too. What I did was check if any posts were in the database that no longer had a linked user in the 'users'. I manually recreated the users that were 'missing'.

Also do mind: some threads will be corrupt too: replies that have no user linked will be bye-bye. And if the first post in a thread has a non-existing user, the thread will not show up in the list of threads. But it will appear on the first page if it's the 'last post'.

Strange...

I do ban a user and then delete all his posts and replies, and then delete the user with 6.0.3 without any problems

if you delete the user first it will be tricky to delete the posts from that user... maybe then the board goes crazy but it should not..

Could it be that that user had starte all the threads in the forum? perhaps it was the only forum in the catefgory and now the forum does not show...

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I think this has to do with the deleted post and deleted user being the last post in the w3t_Board table. Definately something for rick to look at.

when I posted above I did not experience the problem and had no idea what it was... now and on 6.2... I am experiencing it

Just banned a user and deleted all his post and replies to them... (also put the user in a group with access to no forums)... and one forum went invisible...

:-(
I am not into all that coding to bring it back... and this happened before...

How do you post to a foeum that is not there :-) or can not be seen?

Well it is there but invisible...

That doesn ot work for me.
Create a category... moved the invisible folder there but nothing changed... it is still invisible... moved it back to where it was and nothing changed

Addict
Addict
Did you try this:

UPDATE w3t_Boards
SET Bo_LastNumber = 0,
Bo_Posterid = 0

(replacing UBB1 with the appropriate board keyword)

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
You need to know the keyword for it...

then go to www.yoururl.com/ubbthreads/newpost.php?Board=keyword

how do you find the forum keyword if you do not remember it?
and more important is there a fix for this? It is a real bummer to see forum turn into invisible...

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
If you do this SQL Query from the Admin menu, it'll list all the boards for you.

SELECT Bo_Title,Bo_Keyword
FROM w3t_Boards

Thank you Dave_L and Joshpet
got my forum back with those two commands... one to find then forum id and the other to get it back

Like to mention that this time I did not delete all posts from a user... I only deleted a single post... and that made the forum invisible... :-)

Also like to say that having a deleted user show as "Do not delete" or "Anonymous" does not make any sense... it was much better before when all remaind the same except that the user was not in the database :-)

Is there a fix for this, like It shouldnt happened again. Instead of throwing in the command everytime the forum dissapear or use the PHP file that updates the actually post and stored post.?

Addict
Addict
The problem can be caused by various things. I doubt if all of them have been fixed. I wrote my Check Last Post Data addon as a workaround. It's an easy way to fix this problem and some others if they occur, without having to use MySQL queries.

This Prolem is happening then anon (guest) user add post or replay. After it nobody can't se forum in the main index.

p.s. If you made fresh install of ubbthreads - it's ok. But old forum after updates and altertebles have this bug.
so problem is in DB structure. Try to compare dump of new db with old one.

Regards
Sorry fo my english.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums63
Topics37,573
Posts293,925
Members13,849