Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#233967 01/24/2003 2:10 PM
Power User
Power User
Hi,

We are in the process of upgrading our ubbthreads to the latest version and the tech doing the upgrade has run into a few snags and suspects a possible issue with the version of MySQL. Does anyone know if 3.22.32 would be compatible with the latest version of ubbthreads?

Sponsored Links
Addict
Addict
This thread should help you.

I aggree to David that you shold use the latest build cause of some bugfixes and speed improvments.

Addict
Addict
I'd like to upgrade my version of MySQL, but I need help with downgrading gcc first, as described here.

Power User
Power User
I wish it was that easy, my understanding is that we are stuck at this version on this server for "legacy code reasons". It worked great with our older 5.x version of ubbthreads. Anyone else know if it will work? Ultimatly I think info pop should list a minimum mySQL version in the sytem requirements for the upgrade.

Veteran
Veteran
Dave I had looked at that proceedure but I didn't feel confident enough in my reply to ... reply.

I'm wondering though, couldn't you get away with upgrading to the 2.4 kernel on that 7.0 box? Not saying it will work for sure, but I thought 7.0 could use the 2.4 kernel.

Picture perfect penmanship here.
Sponsored Links
Addict
Addict
Upgrading the kernel isn't something I could do via a remote connection, is it? The box is located several thousand miles away, and I got this response when I recently asked the guys on site about upgrading:

[]Unless we have problems deeper than the reboot I had to do yesterday, we should follow the golden rule of system management: "never change a running system" :-)

Updating Linux and Apache would mean that we have to do a reinstall of the machine that I would not do without a really serious reason.[/]

Veteran
Veteran
Well, having read the instructions to go back a version a second time I'm a bit more clear on what is happening here. Seems ok to me. You're not actually removing or replacing your current gcc with a new one, you are adding a different version and just telling the machine to use the new one instead of the old by changing the path to cc in your environment. That's not so bad. You can even change it, build a new MySQL, then change back to your original in case you need it for other parts of your machine.

Way better than messing with your kernel. Building and upgrading a kernel within the same version tree (2.2.x in your case) is simple as pie. Upgrading to a whole different tree might not be so easy.

I vote for the second gcc. Worst case scenario? MySQL doesn't build worth a crap and you stay with the one you have.

Reading between the lines it seems to me that MySQL isn't liking to be compiled on 2.9.6 because 2.9.6 holds you to a tighter coding standard than MySQL would prefer. At least that is what I got out of the article you cited ("Don't believe everything you hear"), and others I have read. My guess is that there are parts that quietly fail? Who knows, I just know they advise right across the sources downloads not to use 2.9.6.

anyway, your hosts' comments...

I'm totally baffled about having to reinstall the entire O/S just to update Apache. You either compile a new one over the old or you download the rpms and run them.

Last edited by navaho; 01/27/2003 8:39 PM.

zerind #233974 01/28/2003 10:55 AM
Addict
Addict
Thanks

I'm not confident that my host knows what he's talking about. Remember when you were helping me get threads running initially, and I didn't have apache-devel? I asked them to install it for me, since I thought that would be safer. But they botched it up, and I wound up having to do it myself anyway.

Veteran
Veteran
MMMmm, yes, I remember. You're better off doing it yourself anyway. A person learns more when they do it by themself andI think you consider that just as important as having it.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
AllenAyres
AllenAyres
Texas
Forum Statistics
Forums63