Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#234543 01/29/2003 6:52 PM
Kahuna
Kahuna
Does anyone know how I can put new language files in the forum? I know the drill on how to edit the editdisplay.php and editdisplay.tmpl but I was more asking towards the encoding used.

To be more specific, I managed to translate the whole language files into Hellenic (a.k.a. Greek) and used Notepad saving them with Unicode encoding. They appear just fine on the text editor. However when I enabled them on my dev forum nothing was showing at all. I ensured that all strings are properly formed without any missing " without " etc. It just seems like garbage in a page with no tables etc.

You can see what I mean by going to http://dev.niden.net and click on the New User link

Any help is most appreciated.

Warm regards

Nikos

Nikos
Sponsored Links
That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
I honestly have no idea how to handle this one.

Anyone else?

If you want to send me a copy I can go through it and see if I can find anything.

I would translate the file and save it as a straight text file. See if that works for you. I just edited all the regular language faq files and they save fine after editing saving them as a regular file with no formatting. I would suspect that when you are saving them the formatting is messing things up a bit. I posted a bit of code here on a foreign language and it was trashed when posted. saving without formatting may help

Kahuna
Kahuna
There is no formatting on the language files and of course I can send them to you - my intention was to make them public.

The difference is between ansi and unicode encoding, since I tried doing it in ansi in the past, only to find out that there was absolutely garbage in the saved files.

I have PM'd you Chuck

Warm regards

Nikos

Nikos
I would about the garbage text try pasting some of that greek text in here when running english

Sponsored Links
Kahuna
Kahuna
Ok

Here goes:

Καλημέρα

which means good morning

Nikos
Kahuna
Kahuna
Changed the encoding of the browser to Greek ISO

ÊáëçìÝñá

again good morning

Nikos
Kahuna
Kahuna
Here is what it came up as in the view source:

Changed the encoding of the browser to Greek ISO<br /><br />ÊáëçìÝñá<br /><br />again good morning

Bizarre.

OK Now I got the hang of it. I will create a small program and change my browser settings to use Green ISO, put the language files in and then post them in a forum or something, then I will use copy and paste for ANSI.

Let me try that!

Thanks Chuck! Haven't thought of that...

Warm regards

Nikos

Nikos
LOL I think I confused you. I said when I posted some foreign language here it was converted wrong.

At any rate if you write up your greek language file you should be able to save it as Unicode without breaking the translations. I modified every language file for threads including the worst ones ( russian and chinese ) without them breaking and displaying crappy characters. All I did was save them. Who knows could be related to your OS setup I think. I do not run anything other than US.

I wrote up a simple line

Hello How are you today? It is a cold day.

The sample file is posted above as an attachment it displays right. I saved it in notepad as unicode.
Attachments
66921-sample.txt (0 Bytes, 21 downloads)

Kahuna
Kahuna
LOL LOL LOL!

I really liked that! What did you use for the translation?

I have all the files like you did, using unicode and used notepad for it. Unfortunately, although they look perfect on screen they are really #%^#$% on the browser with UBB.

You gave me though an idea which I am following and it works just fine. I copied all the text in a big file. Opened my dev forum and clicked to make a new post. I changed my encoding to greek. I posted the message and then went to view it. I changed my encoding again to greek (since it reverted back to western) and opened the source. I copied and used that source to reparse the language files. It works like a charm.

Next step is to check the texts a bit more, just in case and I should have this ready possibly tonight.

Warm regards

Nikos

Nikos
Sponsored Links
Yeah for some reason your OS setup is making things very hard on you.

Kahuna
Kahuna
Tell me about it...

Warm regards

Nikos

Nikos

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63