Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
Hal9000 suggested this. It's a simple modification to detect users with more than one login. As each new login is detected a PM will be sent to all administrators with information on the multiple identity users.

Update: Cookie uses configured expiration time and does not expire in 24 hours. Also, there is no on the number of identities tracked per user. As each new identity is used it is reported.

File's attached.

Happy Hunting. It's open season.

UPDATED: 4-15-03 by JoshPet - Added a step to expire the cookies for Admins. Otherwise, even though the cookie isn't set if you are an Admin, you get one when you use the "become this user feature". So as soon as you become 2 users... you start getting "Multiple Identity Detected" PMs out the ying yang. This update will prevent that. Hope JustDave doesn't mind me updating his code.
Attachments
69034-MultipleIdentityDetector2.0.txt (0 Bytes, 437 downloads)

Last edited by JoshPet; 04/16/2003 12:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Good work Dave... except there's no file.

You have been a busy beaver tonight.

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
I deleted it because one of the brackets didn't line up. Call me picky. LoL

PS it should be there now and looking good. LoL

Last edited by JustDave; 02/15/2003 2:17 PM.
That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
Just a note, this is installed here and we know who you are...

LoL just kidding...

maybe...

LoL

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
We have ways of making you talk. Muhahahaha

Sponsored Links
Cool one I tested and works perfectly.

JustDave is da man!!

Very !

Thanks!

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
hehe... updated it already.

Journeyman
Journeyman
this is soooo sweet. i know my inbox will be fillin up monday morning.

is it just me or is it harder to track down multiple users via IP in threads than it was in classic...?

Journeyman
Journeyman
Only couple of hours have passed and you made this mod
Thaaanks

Sponsored Links
Journeyman
Journeyman
works wonderfully JustDave, thanks again

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
Using IIP you can match users that have the same IP address by using wild cards * in place of the .

Journeyman
Journeyman
I've installed this and it works -- I just found out that two sisters who post on my board must share a computer.

Now that I know this -- and get reminded everytime one of them logs on -- is there any way to exclude member numbers from this check?

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
As long as they don't clear their cookies the PM's will stop. If there is no cookie one is set with the current user number. Even if you log out this cookie will remain. If they log back in under a new user the new number is added to the cookie and a PM is sent. Now that the cookie has two numbers stored it will take a 3rd new number for it to send another PM.

I'm not sure which would be better for an ignore feature. Something from the configure file in the admin area where user numbers could be stored or to create a whole new field in the user's table and set a flag value to ignore the users with the field set.

Journeyman
Journeyman
Dave in order to limit the number of pm's everytime that recognise a multiple identity, is there any other way to report this?
I was thinking of a page or a text file where all the multiple identities will be writen

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I had no idea this was here. And I WAS going to actually get a few hours of sleep. Thanks Dave!

Seriously, thank you. This will really make some of our work easier.

[:"red"]Lisa[/]
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
This is a very cool and needed hack!

One strange result I got:

>From: **DONOTDELETE**
>I seem to have multiple personalities using ID numbers 1234 and 1
>sharing the same computer.

How can it happen that some user could login as User #1 DONOTDELETE

Is this a bug in the hack's code or is there a user using some sort of side entrance to threads nobody was aware of yet? - By the way: I have deleted only 2 users. I am pretty sure this one was not amongst them.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
[]coy7 said:
I've installed this and it works -- I just found out that two sisters who post on my board must share a computer.

Now that I know this -- and get reminded everytime one of them logs on -- is there any way to exclude member numbers from this check? [/]
I admin on coy's board.... so the repeated duplicate PMs from the sisters were bugging me. They must toss their cookies. So I tweaked this a bit.

So..... Here's how you can ignore certain user numbers:

In the original double identity detection code....

Where it says:

Code
<br />         else {<br />            $tempID = ${$config['cookieprefix']."IDstack"};<br />

Change to this:
Code
<br />         elseif (!stristr(",{$config['allowed_dupes']},","{$user['U_Number']}")) {<br />            $tempID = ${$config['cookieprefix']."IDstack"};<br />

Then go into your config file.... at the very bottom and put this variable into the extra/unknown variable section.

$config['allowed_dupes'] = '14,17,13';

Between the quotes... put "allowed" duplicate user numbers. Separate them with a comma. What this does... if the user number matches a number on this list, it skips the Private Message send out.

Now if a user on the list has more identities than the what you list, you won't get notified. It basically ignores this user and it's assumed that they are allowed unlimited duplicates.

Hope that helps.
Josh

Journeyman
Journeyman
I think the sisters in question login to the board from school, and that's why they share a computer which also dumps cookies on a regular basis. I'm noticing this issue quite a bit with the number of college kids on my board.

This fix will really come in handy. There's nothing more disappointing than having a new PM then discovering it's just a "duplicate ID notification"

Addict
Addict
I think a small change is needed in the code so that user number 15 won't match up to 156. Change this:

Code
<br />         elseif (!stristr(",{$config['allowed_dupes']},","{$user['U_Number']}")) {<br />            $tempID = ${$config['cookieprefix']."IDstack"};<br />

Into this:
Code
<br /><br />         elseif (!stristr(",{$config['allowed_dupes']},",",{$user['U_Number']},")) {<br />            $tempID = ${$config['cookieprefix']."IDstack"};<br />

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Ah yes... the trailing comma.

Thank you. Good eye.
You can now join Dave_L in the Eagle Eye club .

Addict
Addict
Actually there has to be a comma both before and after, as in my example, otherwise it might match 123 with 3123. =]

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Yes. I remember that. You and dave helped me figure that out in teh PHP forum. I just was forgetful/careless.

Journeyman
Journeyman
Would it be simpler if all the multiple identities to be written in a file without receiving all the time pm's?
Can this be made by someone?

Addict
Addict
I thought of storing all this info in a database so that you can query for duplicate idenities of a specified user.

But i did come up with a satisfing db-schema so far. Maybe someone else has an idea?

I must admit, this is the best hack I have installed in my threads so far. Damn, the Idea of having total control and knowing who is using what turns me on. Thanks JustDave, what can I say, you are a genious

Hi,

I just tried this on 6.1.1 but it does not work. It generates the following error:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: get_input() in /export/data1/users2/board/public_html/ubbt.inc.php on line 229

Any suggestions on how I can get this to work on 6.1.1 ?
This would really be helpful on my board since I get the occasional dickhead signing up with a new ID just to flame someone (we have a very strict rule on flaming, you get warned once... if you are lucky).

Sanuk!

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Try taking the get_input lines out of the cookies script. Those are unneeded (and that function didn't exist) in 6.1.x

Otherwise... I think it should work fine.

Hi,

"Try taking the get_input lines out of the cookies script. Those are unneeded (and that function didn't exist) in 6.1.x"
Thanks. Will give it a shot tonight when I get back home.

Sanuk!

Hi,

Thanks Josh, that seemed to have done the trick.

Sanuk!

Hi,

Hmmm, one of my mods created a new account, used it, then logged back in using his real account, but I did not receive any PM. He assures me that he did not mess around with his cookies.

Does one need to check the 'Remember me' box in order for this to work?

Sanuk!

Hacker
Hacker
Anyone make a change to the script to show usernames instead of usernumbers?

this is a great script...
you will receive a pm with the usernumbers but as they are clickable and take you to that users profile there is no real need to make it go by username

Great script!
Thanks

I like the idea of the username included with the usernumbers, would make tracking stuff down friendlier. I also received a message today from user number 1 which I already had in the list, but didn't have the second number.

Under the impression I wouldn't get the messages if one of the numbers was listed... hmm

Anyway the list of exclude numbers has greatly decreased the messages I been getting on multiple identities.

Thanks again for a great mod.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
UPDATED: 4-15-03 by JoshPet - Added a step to expire the cookies for Admins. Otherwise, even though the cookie isn't set if you are an Admin, you get one when you use the "become this user feature". So as soon as you become 2 users... you start getting "Multiple Identity Detected" PMs out the ying yang. This update will prevent that. Hope JustDave doesn't mind me updating his code.

If you already have this installed, add this above the Multiple Identity Detector Code:

Code
<br />if ($user['U_Status'] == "Administrator") {<br />     setcookie("{$config['cookieprefix']}IDstack",'',time()-846000,"{$config['cookiepath']}");<br />}   <br />

Coy - I installed this at your board because I was sick of so many PMs.

Journeyman
Journeyman
Sorry -- I forget that you get those PMs as well. I hate it when users post in the wrong thread, but have no option other than to manually move their post to the proper thread (I supposed I could delete the post... depends on what sort of mood I'm in). Anyway, I've been doing lots of "login as user" lately to move posts around.

One way to avoid triggering the mutiple identity check when you become another user is to use JustDave's My Cookie utility to clear your Threads cookie before you log back in as yourself.

The My Cookies utility will be in the next version of Threads (6.3).

Journeyman
Journeyman
I made a small change in the code in order not to receive pm but every multiple identity to be writen in a file
I was getting tired reading,deleting pm's and I think this is a better solution for a busy board.

Code
  if (!empty($user['U_Number']) && $user['U_Status'] != "Administrator") {<br />         ${$config['cookieprefix'] . "IDstack"} = get_input($config['cookieprefix']."IDstack","cookie");<br />         if (empty(${$config['cookieprefix'] . "IDstack"})) {<br />            ${$config['cookieprefix']."IDstack"} = ",{$user['U_Number']},";<br />            setcookie("{$config['cookieprefix']}IDstack",${$config['cookieprefix']."IDstack"},time()+846000,"{$config['cookiepath']}");<br />         }<br />         else {<br />            $tempID = ${$config['cookieprefix']."IDstack"};<br />            if (!stristr($tempID,",{$user['U_Number']},")) {// another usernumber from same computer detected<br />               ${$config['cookieprefix']."IDstack"} .= "{$user['U_Number']},";<br />               setcookie("{$config['cookieprefix']}IDstack",${$config['cookieprefix']."IDstack"},time()+$config['cookieexp'],"{$config['cookiepath']}");<br />               $Unums = split(",",${$config['cookieprefix']."IDstack"});<br />               $andids = "";<br />               for ($i=0; $i<(sizeof($Unums)); $i++) {<br />                  if (!empty($Unums[$i])) {<br />                     if ($i > 1) {<br />                        $andids .= $ubbt_lang['MULTIPLE_IDENT_MSG2'];<br />                     }<br />                     $andids .= " <a href=\"{$config['phpurl']}/showprofile.php?Cat=$Cat&amp;User=" . $Unums[$i] . "\" target=\"_blank\">" . $Unums[$i] . "</a> ";<br />                  }<br />               }<br />               $msg = "<strong>" . $ubbt_lang['MULTIPLE_IDENT_MSG1'] . $andids . $ubbt_lang['MULTIPLE_IDENT_MSG3'] . "</strong>";<br />               $Sender = $user['U_Number'];<br />               $To = "ADMIN_GROUP";<br />               $Subject = $ubbt_lang['MULTIPLE_IDENT_DETECT'];<br />               //$this -> send_message($user['U_Number'],'',$Subject,$msg,'ADMIN_GROUP');<br />               $log=fopen("/home/public_html/ubbthreads/log.html","a");<br />               fwrite($log,"$msg<br>\n");<br />               fclose($log);<br />            }<br />         }<br />      } 

This code for ubbt.inc.php and it writes all the multiple identities in a log.html. You must create this first
Hope it helps

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Very nice.

Addict
Addict
[]$log=fopen("/home/public_html/ubbthreads/log.html","a");
fwrite($log,"$msg<br>\n");
fclose($log);[/]

This could be replaced with:

error_log("$msg<br>\n", 3, '/home/public_html/ubbthreads/log.html');

You probably wouldn't want that file to be publicly readable. I suggest making the log file a config parameter, e.g.:

error_log("$msg<br>\n", 3, $config['midetect_log']);

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Gizmo
Gizmo
Portland, OR, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63