Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
I use 6.2
I see there is an option to backup but so far I do not dare to do it...

What is the proper way to do it?

Then after the files are backed up on the server what is the best way to download them to my pc

So far and once in a while I have been downlowding my whole web using ftp... hopin that will let me restore things if something goes wrong

How do the experts recommend to do things to have all that is needed if we change isp's or if the isp' closes?...

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
The backup feature in threads is pretty spotty and doesn't work on most servers. It relies on having access to 'mysqldump' which most shared providers don't give.

The best way is to us phpMyAdmin.... click on export. Then select either individual (or all) tables... check the radio button for "structure and data".

There is even a box to "save to disk". Then when you start, it downloads the whole database to your machine.

On some servers I've had luck setting up phpMyBackup (which is simplier) for clients. www.phpmybackup.com

thanks
will try it

Downloading all board files with ftp is not of much use then?

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
That just backs up threads the program files... not any content.

Power User
Power User
I use phpmyadmin to do my dumps and it works fine. My question is, how do I restore the db if needed?

Sponsored Links
Addict
Addict
With phpMyAdmin, you would select the database in the left pane, and then click the SQL tab on the right. On the resulting page, there's a Browse button for uploading and restoring a dump file.

If you hadn't checked the Add 'drop table' when creating the dump, you need to drop all the tables before doing this. If you're not sure, you could look at the dump file to see if it contains DROP TABLE queries for each table. Or you could just drop all the tables anyway, since the dump file will rebuild them.

Power User
Power User
the best way of any backup solution is that you can restore it ...

so once you have your dump file create a new sql db (if possible) and upload the dumbfile to the new location and see if it works ...

you wouldn't be the first to have taken backups for years but once disaster strike you can't restore for a silly reason ...

so if you backup .... try to restore once in a while to a test location ...

Greetz
Boris

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63