Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Journeyman
Journeyman
hi there,

I recently moved UBBT from one ISP to another and moved from a shared hosting environment to a VDS (Virtual Dedicated Server).

when I try to run "perl subscriptions.pl" I get the following error, "Warning: mail() is not supported in this PHP build in /home/kurt/forums.retailflorist.com/html/ubbthreads/mess_reply.php on line 275

Warning: Cannot add header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/kurt/forums.retailflorist.com/html/ubbthreads/mess_reply.php:275) in /home/kurt/forums.retailflorist.com/html/ubbthreads/mess_reply.php on line 317

I read in another post that it is because an smtp server is not specified in my php.ini file.

is this the problem?

in that case how shall I specify it?

I'm using exim as an MTA right now but will be switching back to sendmail shortly.

could you advise on the appropriate entry for both, please?

thanks,

Sponsored Links
Addict
Addict
That's a common problem, here's a explanation and solution:

This problem/fix should be here since it oddly takes a long time to find the answer on the internet, yet the problem seems common. If you get

mail() not supported in this PHP build

when trying to use this function then you need to recompile. This happens during configure if /sbin/sendmail is not found. For some reason PHP decides to leave out mail support entirely if it can't find this file while configuring for build. If you run qmail or some other sendmail replacement it is very likely this could be your situation. To fix, make sure the appropriate file or symlink exists. To be safe, why not make a symlink from /usr/sbin/sendmail too. In the case of qmail, these should both point to /var/qmail/bin/sendmail which is qmail's sendmail wrapper.

After fixing that, delete config.cache and start your build over again and reinstall. Thanks to Surojit Niyogi -- and Google, for caching the page on the www.bajaar.com where he posted this simple solution which was unfortunately broken at the time I was looking for an answer.

Journeyman
Journeyman
[]Astaran said:
That's a common problem, here's a explanation and solution:

This problem/fix should be here since it oddly takes a long time to find the answer on the internet, yet the problem seems common. If you get

mail() not supported in this PHP build

when trying to use this function then you need to recompile. This happens during configure if /sbin/sendmail is not found. For some reason PHP decides to leave out mail support entirely if it can't find this file while configuring for build. If you run qmail or some other sendmail replacement it is very likely this could be your situation. To fix, make sure the appropriate file or symlink exists. To be safe, why not make a symlink from /usr/sbin/sendmail too. In the case of qmail, these should both point to /var/qmail/bin/sendmail which is qmail's sendmail wrapper.[/]

I'm using exim. would you happen to know what the symlink should be for exim?
or spell out exactly the steps I should take? I'm not yet a linux guru.

[]
After fixing that, delete config.cache and start your build over again and reinstall. Thanks to Surojit Niyogi -- and Google, for caching the page on the www.bajaar.com where he posted this simple solution which was unfortunately broken at the time I was looking for an answer. [/]

so I really need to reinstall PHP you're saying not UBBT?

isn't there a simpler faster way by just handediting some .conf files somewhere?

thanks,

Addict
Addict
[]I'm using exim. would you happen to know what the symlink should be for exim?
or spell out exactly the steps I should take? I'm not yet a linux guru. [/]

Sorry, i never used exim. Maybe someone else can help you with this.

[]so I really need to reinstall PHP you're saying not UBBT?

isn't there a simpler faster way by just handediting some .conf files somewhere? [/] Yes, as described you need to recompile your php.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Bill B
Bill B
Issaquah, WA
Forum Statistics
Forums63