Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Does anyone know how much decreasing the displayed aged threads affects performance?

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I don't think any tests have been done to tell. I think the number of queries should be the same, the difference would be the time it would take for them to be shown.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Journeyman
Journeyman
But wouldn't the parsing stop once it got to the end date for example, then it would not have to continue going through the entire database. I know on the perl version that the date range made a huge difference in speed of the board.

[:"blue"]Eric Hill[/]
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I know Rick has suggested as a way to save server load, set your theme file to only display 10 posts per page (as it reduces the number of queries). The theme file defaults apply to all unregistered users.

I think that is more important than the date range. Because as long as you aren't displaying them all on the same page... the queries etc... are reduced.

So that has always been Rick's biggest tip to save server load. Registered users can always override the number per page in their display settings.

Journeyman
Journeyman
Mine is currently set to 20 per page. But I did notice a speed improvement when reducing the date range. For our most popular forums we have only a 2 week display for notes for the defaults. When we made all of those changes then we updated our user database to force the defaults on everybody, then they could change them after the fact. Very few have actually changed them though.

Sponsored Links
Addict
Addict
What would that query to force the changes be?

Journeyman
Journeyman
I would have to go back and look as I did it such a long time ago. But it was an update on the user files. Forget which one in particular -- would have to look at the structure now as I am still running a very old version. But it set all users and the anon users to the default style sheets, number of notes displayed, etc.

The reason for the change in the database is because once we made all of the changes then it only worked for new users and not any of the existing users. So we forced it on everybody, then they could change thier personal settings after the fact. But it worked for what we wanted it to do.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Yeah,

To update Stylesheets for everyone back to the default:

UPDATE w3t_Users
SET U_StyleSheet = 'usedefault'

To update posts per page etc.. to 10

UPDATE w3t_Users
SET U_PostsPer = '10',
U_FlatPosts = '10'

That will update everyone.

Addict
Addict
Muchos Grassy Ass!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
AllenAyres
AllenAyres
Texas
Forum Statistics
Forums63